Shift and throttle cable length (Starboard side)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bobkat

Shift and throttle cable length (Starboard side)

Post by Bobkat »

I have an original configured 72 Bertram and replaced throttle and shift cables on the port side several years ago. It is now time to do the starboard side and I am hoping someone may know the right length for the shift and throttle cable. I plan to use supreme red jacket cables. I know that I can pull the old ones out and measure but I would prefer to order the right size and do the job without laying up my boat while ordering parts.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

purchase 20 or so feet of 3/8" plastic water line from Home Depot, (kind used for water line to refigerator dispenser). Use a elecetician's snake to draw the tubing through the intended route, match it up to the cable, mark & measure...

Br,

Patrick
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bobkat,
The cables that are in place should have the length marked on the outer jacket, look at the ends near your helm control on the bridge. They should have the manufacturer and how long they are marked on them, the ends in the engine compartments are usually covered by engine touch-up paint.

Pete Fallon
Bobkat

Post by Bobkat »

Thanks for the two responses. First, I believe the chase is so tight that I cannot try to put anything through without removing the old cables. Second the existing cables are so old that the numbers cannot be read.

I am surprised that with a board as large as this, that someone has not needed to replace the starboard cables and has a record of the length.
Perhaps, someone this weekend can take a peak at their cable and pass along the numbers.

Would appreciate the help. If not possible,I will just pull the old cables, measure and order new ones.
keysdisease

Post by keysdisease »

The control cables from that era usually have the lenght heat stamped into the jacket at one or both ends. These numbers can usually be read even through paint, although thee olde pocket knife may be necessary. Sometimes the length is in inches and is incorporated into the end of the part number.

There was some but not complete uniformity from boat to boat re the 31 in those days. What one owner has on his boat may not be what you have on yours.

Steve Moyer aka Keys Disease