windlass

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Miller

windlass

Post by JP Miller »

A brand new anchor windlass was donated to me recently. It's a long story how I got it (no... it did not fall off a truck.) Real nice, stainless, horizontal, with rope capable wildcat. Made by Anchorlift, a Norweigan company trying to break into the US market.

I'm not crazy about adding a pulpit, but I don't see another choice. Off the west coast of Florida we do a lot of anchoring for Grouper/Amberjack in a 120' of water, so it would be nice. Any ideas?
I just had my bow chock chromed and would like to keep it on the bow also. Help!
jp
Buju

Post by Buju »

JP, I think something's got to give...
You could mount the bow chock just aft of the roller on the pulpit and use it as a line guide, but the chain will tear its ass up in no time, and it wouldn't work that great anyways. Could still mount it on the tip of the pulpit and use it for it's original intended use, but it may look a little strange.
I'd sell the bow chock on ebay, and use the $$$ to help buy yourself a functional bow pulpit, or even a smaller stainless anchor roller... which won't subtract from the bow appearance nearly as much as a large pulpit will.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

jp
a pulpit is the only way to go with a windless, i would belive your bow chock would be in the way unlesss you could raise the windless up to clear it. my pulpit was made out of one piece stainless steel and painted white. one of these days i have to have mine re built, she slips when coming up
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have just a rope capstan to pull in my anchor. It is not as convenient, but I get to keep my Bowchock and it fits in my boathouse easier! The downside, of course is having to go up on the bow to anchor. I use rope rode with a chain at the anchor.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

I have a windlass and no pulpit and happy with it.

1965/2007 Bertram 31
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That is basically what I have, but mine is not self tailing. It is a Lawrence.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
nic

Post by nic »

We've got a pulpit, the CQR anchor stows on it and you don't need to leave the flybridge to lower or raise it, if you're interested I'll send a pic but I think there are plenty around, all chain. Convenient for "Howdy Boating" or pic-nicking, but I prefer the original look.

We anchor off-shore too but use the bouy'n'clip method to bring up the rock-anchor, (Grapnel type)...can't find a link with pictures but here is a forum link talking about it.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=66223

Beats a winch hands down.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"