Alternates to sound-down?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Alternates to sound-down?

Post by STeveZ »

The following sketch (hopefully) shows the clearances between the top of my Cummins B210's and bottom of my B28's engine hatches. While engine temperatures and I assume engine compartment temperatures shouldn't be over 200, sound-down's 6" clearance requirements would seem to preclude full coverage of the underside of the hatch.

I wonder if a partial patchwork of sound-down would be better than nothing?
Or if there is some alternate 1/4" thick flexible insulation or even spray-on system that might be used in conjunction with or in lieu of sound-down.

I'll be reviewing the old threads on the topic, but any new input would be welcome. Thanks!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a silver quilted piece of soundproofing between the top of my 210's that covers the entire hatch. It almost touches the engines and have been on there since their installation in 1990 with no problems. What's in the quilting, I really don't know. Walter
John F.

Post by John F. »

I put Soundown in my B31, and there is very little clearance between the manifolds and Soundown on the insides of the boxes. I haven't had any problems.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The soundown is very heat proof....on my 6BTA 250's (cpl 1247s) with the "tombstone" aftercoolers, the soundown on the underside of the motor boxes presses pretty good down on the top of the aftercoolers and no heat damage, just some abrasion from the engines and motor boxes moving some underway. I put a double layer of soundown mylar tape in that area and it works fine.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Vic- Love that new title over your picture! I assume thats rank not chronological. Walter
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nope, Walter, Vic's rank isn't chronological.... Although he is closer than most & a year closer than me.

Of the first 4 or 5 guys to visit the site back in the later part of November 1999, Vic is the only one still onboard that's active...

A whole bunch of the other guys here are from that same period of late '99.

Br,

Patrick
In Memory of Vicroy

Yeah, I'm a classic....you guys know how this site has made a lot of friendships over the years. Let's try last night and today: Da Judge and his girlfriend JL (a criminal defense lawyer, ya'll hire her if you get to be Client #9, she's good) come over to Baton Rouge from Galveston, the fog was so bad all day over there he had to drive vs. take his high hp. Moony airplane, anyway, they get to Andre's house, gather up him & Thudette, and come to our house for boston butt, cornbread dressing, etc, big eats and lotta laughs. We stayed up late. This morning bright and early we went over to Andre's house for the St. Paddy's Day Parade, a big deal here in Coonassland.....drinking started at 9....parade at 10, parade had about 90 floats, took an hour and a half. Got 2 tons of bead throws, like Andre's borther Mooney said, did a world of good for the Gross National Product of China.....so up comes Andre' Borne, owner of the B31 White Marlin he is chartering in El Salvador, lives down the street from Andre's house...we talk about B31s, then Kipp Creed sends a rep.....another B31....anyway, everyone knows us, we know everyone.

Now its noon, time to boil 6 fifty # sacks of crawfish....the Fourrier clan has more little kids than a UNICEF shelter, all playing with live crawfish.

We ate all the crawfish and some other good eats....85 degrees and sunny.

Just another day in B31 land, thanks Ole Fart.

UV
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

the Fourrier clan has more little kids than a UNICEF shelter, all playing with live crawfish.

Just another day in B31 land, thanks Ole Fart.

UV[/quote]

Been there, and the reports aren't exaggerated
randall

Post by randall »

well.......i went over to walters house for a delicious duck dinner.....some ones got to feed me when carens in florida.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I used household carpet. It has to be of good quality and thick. It's great and cost nothing. It was tested for fire .... fire retardant but not fire proof which means it will burn oh so slowly when put in to a fire. I figure that the fiberglass engine boxes will be on fire before the carpet goes. We also have those new auto fire extingueshes ( need spell check) inside both covers.

How good is it? With one engine at idle you can just about hear the other engine starting. Have to listen very close or look at the RPM gauge.
A/K/A El Gaupo
In Memory Walter K

And none of us would have ever known each other if it wasn't for The Best Boat Ever Built, Patrick and Vic! Many thanks again! Walter
JK

Post by JK »

Speaking of sounddown, I will be installing it soon but think I have misplaced the accessories. Is there a dealer or do I deal with the company direct? I need the nails, caps, tape and glue.

--JK
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

I got it direct
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

The Soundown guy that runs their FLL shop frequents this site, he'll be around....I've dealt with him, top notch.

UV
scot

Post by scot »

Steve Moyer
Soundown Ft. Lauderdale
954-761-9188

Extremely helpful and knows his noise. Steve has been a huge influence on the entire design of my current project....I hope he's right because I'm going to a lot of trouble and extra work!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
keysdisease

Post by keysdisease »

scot wrote: Steve has been a huge influence on the entire design of my current project....I hope he's right because I'm going to a lot of trouble and extra work!
Hi Scott,

I don't remember making any recommendations for you on that little boat with the Detriot stuff in it, so buyer beware.

To answer Steve Z's question,

The printed recommendations are extremely conservative and apply to the vinyl / foam composite products that are commonly used on fiberglass boats. We do have noncombustible and ever fire barrier products available for use on metal boats, USCG inpsected vessels and ships.

The reality of installing the vinyl / foam products with minimal clearance is that it is done all the time. Typically the only component of a gas or diesel engine that creates a temprature to be concerned about is exhaust manifolds, risers and turbos. Valve covers and coolant tanks like I see in your picture do not typically present a problem as long as there is no direct contact. As your smallest clearance is over the coolant tank ( 1" ) that is also probably the coolest engine part on the top of the Cummins. You can also cut away the foam on the back side of the material without compromising the noise barrier by 1/2 of it's overall thickness. That is to say that for the area with 1" clearance you can make 1" material 1/2".

small print: this is not a recommendation that overrides printed company recommendations, it is just a report of how Soundown products are sometime used in the field.

The acoustic foam we use is self extinguishing, meaning it will burn when exposed to open flame and extinguish iteslf when the flame is removed.

Unfortunately, with only an inch to play with there is not much you can do, but we do have a 1" thick product with a 2lb per sq ft barrier and a 1/2" thick product with a 1lb barrier, and as mentioned some very fancy stuff too.

Thanks for letting me play in your sandbox,

Steve Moyer
Soundown Ft Lauderdale
954 761-9188
smoyer@soundown.com
scot

Post by scot »

I need to go back into my records, I may have the wrong name. I have had several conversation with "Someone" from Fla Sounddown. Sorry, I thought it was you.
Scot
keysdisease

Post by keysdisease »

scot wrote:I need to go back into my records, I may have the wrong name. I have had several conversation with "Someone" from Fla Sounddown. Sorry, I thought it was you.
Scott, I was kidding, it was me.

Steve Moyer
Soundown ft Lauderdale
scot

Post by scot »

That was a close one Steve, I was about to withdraw my recommendation and endorsement of your technical savy.
Scot