Garmin or Furuno

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Garmin or Furuno

Post by Tony Meola »

Since it is getting closer to spring up here in NJ, and that means closer to getting the new engines in the boat and the boat in the water, I need to decide on a new GPS/Sounder. I am torn between the Garmin and the Furuno combination units that will give me depth, GPS and in a year or two I can add radar. I was told the Furuno is a better depth finder but the Garmin looked easier to use. I know a number of you have the Garmin but I have not seen much said about the Furuno units. All comments are appreciated. Thanks Tony
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Garmin.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Tony
I'm gonna ride your thread here.......same subject.......I am considering Raymarine..........I am friends with a guy that installs and trouble shoots all brands and his favorite is Raymarine.

Any thougths or experience that you guys would care to share concerning Raymarine Electronics??

Harry
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

No problem. I'd love to know what everyone thinks. I could be convinced to go Raymarine also. Tony
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Furuno, Furuno, Furuno

Better depth sounder images, Better Radar capabilities. Great customer service network. New Navnet 3D is awesome.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
nic

Post by nic »

We've got the small Raymarine A65 and love it....very easy, intuitive..just keep pressing buttons and you get there.

One thing, we went all out on the transducer installation and she reads at full speed.

So, you've got one strong vote for each...are you glad you asked?

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Capt. Mike Holmes

Raymarine

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I went with the C series Raymarine plotter/sounder last year, with the 12" display screen. Haven't used the GPS/plotter yet, but the sounder is wonderful - great for aging eyes, color is bright and good in direct sunlight, easy to use. I used a 1 kw bronze through hull transducer, reads bottom good to over 17 knots.

Furuno fish finders are VERY good, in my experience. I have a small one that came with the boat, no idea how old it is, but like that bunny rabbit it just keeps going.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Furuno is the way to go.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Capt Mike,
The 1 KW transducer, is it that huge model with the 22" fairing block? If so, did you mount as a thru hull or in a waterbox? If a thru hull notice much drag?

I have had buying a new depth finder on my list since I purchased the boat. I just needed the old Furuno to die first, it's going on 14 years now. The last few years I have left out, figuring the elements would do her in or maybe sticky fingers would find her. But when I go down to the boat she's still at the helm, flip the switch and she keeps on turning on. I see a bat in its future.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Raymarine.

The depth sounding capability with the digital technology is great, and the systems are very intuitive to use.

and infinitely customizable for the display. So if you want to see it, you can, and any size. If you don't, you don't have to.

Functionally, I love my E-120.

Dug
randall

Post by randall »

not much of a consensus here.......of course most of my electronics are other peoples take outs so i take what i get.
Capt. Mike Holmes

"Ducer

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Sim, I made my own fairing block from teak and fiberglass, and it's about the same size as the transducer, which is big, but not as big as the "high speed" transducers they try to sell you. I'm sure the big one works well, but they claim it reads to 17 knots, and on a calm day mine was reading bottom at 20 knots.

As to drag, I was pressed for time so I didn't get to remove my old 2 kw ducer - haven't noticed any increased drag with the new one added - that's what the diesel torque is for.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I have a Garmin 182C, a Raymarine C120 (Chart Plotter and Radar) and Raymarine C70 (Depth only). The Garmin plotter is much easier to use and way more intuitive than the C120. You won't even need to open the manual on the Garmin once its installed.

The C120, while a nice unit, makes you go through a lot of screens, commands, soft-keys, etc... Every so often I need to pull out the manual to see how to do something, where as I can always figure it out with the Garmin.

Garmin makes the best plotters, but I think their radar leaves something to be desired. When they first came out with radar, I heard nothing but bad things. They seem to have gotten better as the years pass. I have friends that have Furuno radar, and I think Raymarine does a better job. Also have friends that have Furuno fish finders. They don't seem to be much different than the Raymarine. I'd call that one a push.

I haven't needed Raymarine's customer service yet, but I hear they're pretty good. Garmin's customer service is fantastic.
Regards,

Doug L.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Gotta say Garmin.......I have had 4 thru the years and love the simplicity and ease of use without any problems ever. Not sure on radars.
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Harv

Post by Harv »

sim wrote:Capt Mike,
The 1 KW transducer, is it that huge model with the 22" fairing block? If so, did you mount as a thru hull or in a waterbox? If a thru hull notice much drag?
Sim,

When I got Windstar it had been previously owned by another charter captain. Dead center on the keel was a square shaped transducer in a large custom made fairing block.
Since this transducer was not connected to anything, I removed it the first winter on drydock. I replaced it with a 1000 watt transducer connected to my Sitex unit. I put the transducer through the same exact hole, and since it had a football shape to it, I did not use a fairing block. I'll be perfectly honest with you. I have no problems reading the signal on my Sitex through this mounting, while at any speed. However, my smaller Koden unit (also Sitex), which is mounted forward and higher on the hull, (you can just make it out by the forward string holding the shrinkwrap), with a fairing block, loses the signal while at cruise. I think the location also has a lot to do with how well the signal can be read while at speed. It seems my big transducer is always in clean water whereas the little one gets affected by turbulence and wave action. I also noticed a a very slight reduction in drag, confirmed by my floscan. Same rpm's, same speed, less fuel consumed, something on the order of .06gph. I know that isn't much, but with gassers and fuel prices today, every little bit helps. Below is a shot of the big transducer mounted flush to the hull.
Harv
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Does anyone have a through the hull transducer? Since it is unlikely that I will be going off shore the extreme depths are not a problem. Finding fish in the Chesapeake is the main issue.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Mikey - I have a shoot-thru-the-hull ducer on sonar box hooked to the Garmin 2010C on AJ....works perfect, will track bottom at 25 kts up to about 250'.

UV
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

UV,
That's the stuff. I'm on it.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thank you for the help.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Raymarine E120

1965/2007 Bertram 31
randall

Post by randall »

aaaaaaaa...bridge envy...has to be the cleanest !!
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Hey Randall that's how I feel about it, thanks .
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Looks like I can't really go too wrong with either one, however, the Furuno might have a leg up due the better radar capabilities and cleaner depth finder, but from what I could tell the Garmin is more user friendly. I know Raymarine has had a good reputation.

Gerry, that is a clean bridge. But one question, why is it I am seeing so many bridges with no compass. If the electronics ever go down, it could be s a long way home trying to us the North Star to guide you.

Sorry but I still carry paper charts. I know if you have auto pilot you can always use that to help guide you home, but I would feel naked without a compass.

Thanks for all the help and input.

Harry have you changed your mind yet or still Raymarine?

Tony
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Wellllllllllll..........sounds like everybody has their favorites and for good reason........and like you said, Tony, no matter what your decision you cannot go wrong.

I am going Raymarine...........good service........good tech support

The Mobile boat show is this weekend (you know......the one that I have said that I will never attend again) I will be there visiting my friends and trying to negotiate new Raymarine electronics.

Harry
hb
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

I have the NavNet VX2 system (before 3-D), GPS/36 mi. radar. A 10'' screen and a 7" screen + a seperate Furuno 620 sonar.

I'm very happy with this system. Thinking about upgrading the sonar via the black box system and a different ducer, so that every thing will be intergrated.

It only takes money!
Jim
1975 28 FBC
RussP

Post by RussP »

Were looking at a Furuno system next year but I have to say the Raymarine E120 is a really good system and their customer service is just as good as Garmin. I installed a E120 in a 32 Viper CC and mounted the transducer flush in the 6" flat on the center line. We read bottom at 30 knots.

We were docked a few slips down from Zero Cavity at Sailfish Marina a few weeks ago. It was amazing at how many gawkers stood between the two boats and took in extended looks. I got to meet Gerry and chat with him for a pinch, he's a really nice guy with a perfect 31.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

I am still torn between the Garmin and Furuno with the Raymarine right up there. I am going to pull the trigger this week as Consumer Marine is only holding their show prices until the 20th. They quoted me $650 for a SeaStar hydrolic steering set up. I thought that was pretty competative. Would have bought on Saturday at the AC Show but the guys they had behind the counter had trouble figuring out what hydrolic steering was and told me to call the 800 number. They are local here in NJ and in the past have been pretty good with their numbers.

West Marine's pricing is too far off the chart even without Consumers Marine giving me the show price. Tony
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Tony
I went to Bluewater today and talked in depth with a Service Tech about the Raymarine products........The boat show is this weekend so basically today I went PRESHOPPING.

Considering the type, frequency and intensity of the fishing that I do I have decided to go with the Raymaine C-120 display setup with a Sounder transducer, Radar and GPS

I was impressed with the brightness and contrast of the display. As far as operating the unit I think that no matter which one that you choose once you learn the controls they are all pretty much the same.

During my visit I also looked at the Garmin. It like wise is a very nice machine.......really nice features.

I could not fine an absolutely good reason to omit any of the brands that we have discussed here........

So Raymarine it is ! ! ! !

Harry
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Tough decision but I don't think you can go wrong with either of the 3. Tony
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry
Don't know what you were quoted. Got this by email yesterday.
http://www.defender.com/productsearchresult.jsp
Check their sale stuff, sometimes good.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Dug

Post by Dug »

You can also try Spicers. They ship, and that saves sales tax in CT.

Call and ask for Paul at 860-536-4978.

They have been extremely competitive for me.

Dug