Getting the tank out

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bulletproof

Getting the tank out

Post by Bulletproof »

I started on my tank removal yesterday, cut all six tabs along the stringers and tried to lift the forward end but it wouldn't budge. I was lifting so hard that the fiberglass ring almost broke off. Does anyone know if the forward end is tabbed to the hull just behind the bulkhead? I'm hoping the thing is just stuck after 30 years of sitting there.

I'm headed back over to the boat today and will continue to work at it. If anyone has some advice I could sure use it.

Patrick, good job on the new discussion board. My contribution is coming!! Having a good $$$ month already.

Regards to all,

Paul Haggett
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Paul,

In most cases the tank is tabbed to the hull both forward and aft. If so, you'll have to remove the bulkhead(s) to get to the tabbing...

Beyond that, your tank may also be either/or bedded down with a bondo like material or foamed in place.

I've had to cut the tank up and take it out in sections before. If you have to do that, be sure the tank is emptied and well ventilated before going after it with a saw. Best way to ventilate is by removing the two manifold plates and running a long, large hose into one of the openings. Hook a Blue Blower to the other end of the hose, with the blower well away from the tank.

Br,

Patrick
lookinforboats

Post by lookinforboats »

We just replaced FG tanks w/ aluminum in 2 late 70s berts and after we cut the tabs, the tank was still stuck in the epoxy between the hull and the bottom of the tank. Keep the lifting pressure on (we used a forklift) and it will POP up. Good Luck
Bulletproof

Cutting it up today

Post by Bulletproof »

I tried lifting for an entire day, this tank isn't coming up! I've filled it up with water, siphoned off the remaining gas at the top. It's been venting all night so with the water right up to the top I'm going to cut the top off first, then I'll drain the water out and finish it off section by section. I'm not quitting until the entire hull is exposed to me at the end of the day! Then on Monday I'm ordering my new stainless tank from Doug at Nautic. A friend of mine here in Marblehead will bring the tank up on one of his runs. Wish me luck!
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA