20 Moppie with trailer for sale

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harv

20 Moppie with trailer for sale

Post by Harv »

I found this 20 Moppie for sale on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0156969670

I took a ride out to see it today. She is extremely clean, maybe use a little Armourall on the cushions and vinyl and maybe have a few items rechromed but other than that seems like a great little boat. Galvanized trailer comes with it. The owner has 3 other boats including this B28 that he is making his pride and joy. The 28 has no real cabin amenities and seems set up strictly as a fishing boat.

Cabin shots.....single long bunk on either side of cabin and helm somehwat isolated by a barrier. Sorry for the reflections as I shot through the side windows.
Harv
randall

Post by randall »

nice lookin 28
fred bortolan

Post by fred bortolan »

A friend of mine and fellow 31 owner is looking for a 20ft moppie.
The one on ebay seems to be what he's looking for.
Do they have any typical issues he should look out for.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

The moppies are pretty good as they were not foamed. Look for saturated transom core. Fiberglass fuel tanks as they relate to the ethanol issue - this one sounds like it has problems - $1,000 to $1,500 fix. The money is as usual in the iron, so be cautious there - if ethanol was a problem, the 30 hour rebuild might need the heads reworked. If you want mor opinions from guys familier with the 20's you will get lots of info at
http://simplifying.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

which is the 25bertram.com discussion board
Harv

Post by Harv »

I saw this boat personally. It is a well maintained in original/unrestored condition. The hull felt solid all around. Same with the deck as we had jumped on it with no give. I couldn't even find a scratch on the stainless rubrail (claimed original). There is one inch long gouge just under the rubrail on the port bow, but other than that looked pretty good. A nice wax job, a little armourall on the cockpit vinyls, and some rechroming of some hardware should have this boat minted out in no time.
if ethanol was a problem, the 30 hour rebuild might need the heads reworked.
The owner told me he did the rebuild after finding crud and junk in the filters. He has been running off the portable deck tanks since the rebuild. This is a pretty nice boat compared to what's out there and in comparison to other 20's on the market, is quite reasonable. The trailer is part of the auction and just had new wheel bearings put in. According to the owner, both are ready to rock and roll.....no pun intended. If you want more information, including his reserve send me a PM.
Harv
Jack

moppies - foamed

Post by Jack »

I don't claim to be an expert on all moppies, but the 64's were foamed.
unabashed hyena lover
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I didn't know that Jack, thanks. If it was foamed, check the weight as this was a major issue on my 20' Baron, it weighed an extra 1,500 lbs.
CMP

Post by CMP »

My '67 20 Moppie was foamed and it was WET!!!

CMP
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

All Bertram20's were foamed and most are wet to some degree. The scuppers were not sealed well around the copper tube.

Ian.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Mine was and is wet, though it won't be getting wet from the transom anymore.

I dropped it last Friday at the shop to have the transom replaced from the inside with Coosa board, I'll put the scuppers back in with a decent flapper on the outside and if they start to sink the boat I'll just plug them as before. Only this time the transom will be a solid composite with no water absorption.

I'll need to get tanks made, but in the mean time I'll use a 6gal carry tank.

They are fun little boats that can take the seas better than most modern 20-25 footers.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

John,

I would not put the scuppers back in. If you ever repower later with any V-block (6 or 8), you will be abit heavier in the stern.

Any wet foam that you have is putting you lower in the water as well.

I have seen several B20s that have sunk because of these scuppers.

Just my $.02, but I would close the holes when you have the chance. Buy an extra battery and bilge pump instead.

Ian.
Jack

scuppers

Post by Jack »

Ian is right on with the scuppers. At the very least, I would leave them off until after getting the new tank. See where the waterline is with a full load, and then you can decide where they belong, if at all.
unabashed hyena lover