Trim Tabs

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Trim Tabs

Post by STeveZ »

No answer at Insta-Trim today (generally easy to reach w/ a question). I replaced my old I-T/Boat Leveler motor/pump with a (to the eye) identical Insta-Trim Universal replacement. When I had someone work the buttons the tabs went down but would not come back up. I found some possible explanations at the Bennett site but none at I-T. I don't suppose you need to be underway to "push" the tabs back up, do you?
keysdisease

Trim Tabs

Post by keysdisease »

No, you do not have to be underway. To retract tabs the motor turns in reverse and the appropriate or both solenoid valves open. The real effort on return is supplied by a return spring inside the actuator.

When you hit the switch to retract are you hearing anything at all?

The below color codes indicate which wire does what. In order to move 1 tab 2 wires have to energize. For instance, port tab down: green and red.

You can use the Bennett troubleshooter guide by cross referencing the color codes, Bennett colors are in ( )

I would take a hot wire + right off a battery and hand hold it to all 4 combinations right at the pump. If that works your problem will be between there and the switch.

Boat Leveler GREEN wire Port valve (red)

Boat Leveler WHITE wire stbd valve (green)

Boat Leveler RED wire motor forward tab down (blue)

Boat Leveler YELLOW wire motor reverse tab up (yellow)

If your tabs go down but not up, that means that the valves are working and the motor is turning forward.

Good luck,

Steve Moyer
Soundown Ft. Lauderdale
954-761-9188
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Thanks for the help. My voltmeter indicated no current through the yellow line, so I inspected the connection and vi-ola, it was broken. Problem solved! (I'll install the new pigtail over the winter when I have the back deck up again)