Original equipment?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harv

Original equipment?

Post by Harv »

As many of you know, my boat is still basically all original and not restored one bit....yet! During the course of this winter's projects, I decided to remove and revarnish the foot rests for the helm and jump seats on my Bahia Mar. In the process I wanted to rechrome the brackets since they have turned a lovely shade of green. However, my chrome people told me that since all the joints on the brackets are free moving rivots, they would not be able to rechrome as the parts all have to be seperate. I tried to match these brackets at several marine supply stores and the common thought was that these are original Bertram pieces. If that is the case, does anyone know which of our sponsors would be the best source to replace these? I'm heading down to the boat now to touch up the waterline as the boat is supposed to be high and dry again just for today, and will try to post a picture of the bracket when I get home tonight.

Thanks
Harv
Harv

Bracket images

Post by Harv »

Harv
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Harv: Try a quick dip in muiriatic acid to clean the greem off and see how bad they really are. If the pitting isn't too bad just keep them wiped in CorrosionX so the green doesn't come back. Its not the perfect solution, but it will make them look better until you can find some replacements. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Harv,
What are those from ? Something unique the the bahia mar ?
Doug
Trey Dibrell

Post by Trey Dibrell »

Harv--

Go to the grocery store and buy a stainless steel pot scrubbing pad, the kind that look like they are made out of metal drillings. Take some Crossion X and scrub your chrome pieces with the pad. It will remove the corrosion but will not harm the remaining chrome. It won't look like brand new, but it damn near will.

Da Judge
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harv,
I've got them on my 1961 express for the footrests, I've been looking for another set for years, with no luck. I think they were made by Wilcox or maybe Perko.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Doug Crowther wrote:Harv,
What are those from ? Something unique the the bahia mar ?
Doug
From my original post I mentioned that these were the brackets for the footrests from the helm and companion seats on my Bahia Mar. As Pete mentioned, he has them too on his express, so maybe they were unique to those models.

Anyway, I tried the muriatic acid with a Scotch Brite pad, then a rag with some corrosion x, and it cleaned up a liitle bit, . Clean enough to find out that these (Mine at least) were made by Perko. Below is an after picture...
Harv
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have them on the footrest for my lower station as well. Glad the acid worked out for you. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31