PERKO part number C/365

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

franzmerenda

PERKO part number C/365

Post by franzmerenda »

I took the liberty to re-post the above picture, due to the reason few days ago these parts have been offered on Facebook by an esteemed Member of this forum; useless to say it went like a bidding auction.

I'm truly happy for the Vendor, but this circumstance led me to drop 2 lines here with a kind request:

I would be more than happy to offer a cash guarantee of 2 grands to any kind person who would be available to borrow me these parts, in order to get silicone molds, by means of some professional mold-maker (some Riva mold-maker we have here), with the aim to offer them to anybody who would like to have these on their boat, at mere casting and shipping costs.

My intent is truly not to speculating on these parts, but just bypassing the need of using the ladder on engine-cover, assuming I own a SportFish and nothing can match the seamlessly glance of a ladder-free cockpit.

If you wonder why I'm choosing the hard way instead of seeking for some kind 31's owner here, the answer is the few ones that still have these side steps, have them on the boat and we all know what does it mean uninstalling and reinstalling them!

I do apologise for my long message, while I wish to thank whoever would like to help me :wink:

francesco
Last edited by franzmerenda on May 10th, '24, 04:13, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Meola

Re: PERKO part number C/365

Post by Tony Meola »

Those are really hard to come by. They are not a part that someone leaves lying around their garage and forgets about them. Similar to the bow chock on the 31.

Surprised a member on here did not let everyone know he was going to auction them off. But it is what it is. When you have something that everyone wants it is a good thing for the seller.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The person who bought them perhaps owns a B31 too.
Perhaps the seller could find him and ask him whether he could lend them for a while, before he mounts them, even for a fee.
I would start from the seller...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Francesco,

Remind me; where are you located? I have a pair of the pilaster wing steps that were original on a B-31 Sportfisherman. I don't know how to post pictures, nor do I have the aptitude to follow the instructions to do so. However, I will text the pics to someone if you email me your cell #. My email is:
tdrake##atgmail.
Replace the ## with the numerical length of our favorite boat. Maybe I'm being overly cautious with the cryptic address, but I've been warned not to post full email address on open boards.

Tommy
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I will gladly share them with so as to help all on this Board.
franzmerenda

Post by franzmerenda »

Tommy wrote: May 10th, '24, 15:05 Francesco,

Remind me; where are you located? I have a pair of the pilaster wing steps that were original on a B-31 Sportfisherman. I don't know how to post pictures, nor do I have the aptitude to follow the instructions to do so. However, I will text the pics to someone if you email me your cell #. My email is:
tdrake##atgmail.
Replace the ## with the numerical length of our favorite boat. Maybe I'm being overly cautious with the cryptic address, but I've been warned not to post full email address on open boards.

Tommy
I live in Italy Tommy.
First of all I wish to thank you very much and I'm going to e-mail you my cell.
I can send you money via PayPal or the way you prefer and I would feel way more comfortable, sending a substantial deposit as guarantee.
The fastest and safest shipping method, like UPS Worldwide Express, will be fine.
Again I appreciated so much this kind thing!
I promise, when plan will come together, whoever would like to have these beautiful vintage marvels on his boat, I'll be here for him/her
francesco 🙏
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Francesco,

I got your email and will be giving you a call. Always glad to help members of this Bertram 31 Discussion Board.

Tommy
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have a set as well..."forgot about them as they are lying around in my garage" :wink: albeit in The Bahamas. I admire Francesco's effort to have them re created. I actually make cast resin guitar parts with silicon molds. I could likely make a silicon mold of my side steps. However, other than resin, I'm not sure how you would cast them in steel or aluminum? I don't have experience with that type of molding. I have seen it done with foam or wax positives that melt away in sand castings.

I just edited this to add a link to metal casting 101. Interesting. But I don't think I'm going to pour molten metal myself! https://www.thecrucible.org/guides/meta ... l-casting/
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Oh boy. Tommy and Steve just made a liar out of me.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I'm not familiar with these steps as they cannot be used in the 28.
However, I would say that they are most probably out of stainless steel, as the structure looks very thin and aluminum would bend (at such an angle) with a heavy person's weight. Which stainless steel renders the exercise a bit more difficult.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Not stainless---mine are chromed
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

There is an app called "fiverr"
You can post what you want, and freelance creators and craftsmen can bid on building what you want.
There's enough people with 3d printers and cnc machines around I'm sure you could have it done.
May cost you, but I'd rather pay a lot for what i want, than a little for what i don't.
Todd
franzmerenda

Post by franzmerenda »

SteveM wrote: May 13th, '24, 12:18 I have a set as well..."forgot about them as they are lying around in my garage" :wink: albeit in The Bahamas. I admire Francesco's effort to have them re created. I actually make cast resin guitar parts with silicon molds. I could likely make a silicon mold of my side steps. However, other than resin, I'm not sure how you would cast them in steel or aluminum? I don't have experience with that type of molding. I have seen it done with foam or wax positives that melt away in sand castings.

I just edited this to add a link to metal casting 101. Interesting. But I don't think I'm going to pour molten metal myself! https://www.thecrucible.org/guides/meta ... l-casting/
I'm not surprised of the warm and kind response from more than one fellow Brother 🙏
I have already committed to inviting Tommy to 'Cinque Terre', but I wish to thank you Steve for your kind offer.
I am more than sure that jayjays1 was chasing these steps as well and I believe these parts, as the extremely rare Bow Chock, became a sort of collector's items.
As promised, I'll get in touch with some professional Riva mold-Maker, in order to replicating and offering them with no mark up, but just casting & shipping costs and, why not, a voluntary donation to Bertram31.com.

francesco
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Franz, it was great to catch up with you on the telephone; it sounds like you have an exciting Bertram 31 restoration project underway!

Franz has proposed a generous contribution to Bertram31.com for the original Bertram hardware, so everyone wins. By the way, my pilaster steps are chrome over bronze, just like the original bow chocks.
franzmerenda

Post by franzmerenda »

Tommy wrote: May 14th, '24, 15:49 Franz, it was great to catch up with you on the telephone; it sounds like you have an exciting Bertram 31 restoration project underway!

Franz has proposed a generous contribution to Bertram31.com for the original Bertram hardware, so everyone wins. By the way, my pilaster steps are chrome over bronze, just like the original bow chocks.
Just for the record, yesterday was my birthday: you gave me the best birthday present Tommy 😉
Carl

Post by Carl »

Happy Birthday!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Francesco,

I was driving home and I saw a weird cinquecento marked "500 Riva" in the back.
Are these guys still in business?
Do they still make boats, or do they design anything they can lay their hands on ?

Thanks.
franzmerenda

Post by franzmerenda »

Carl wrote: May 16th, '24, 08:27Happy Birthday!
Thank you Carl!
Sorry for the delay but I'm slightly upside down for my litter 😍

Last edited by franzmerenda on May 20th, '24, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
franzmerenda

Post by franzmerenda »

Yannis wrote: May 17th, '24, 10:46 Francesco,

I was driving home and I saw a weird cinquecento marked "500 Riva" in the back.
Are these guys still in business?
Do they still make boats, or do they design anything they can lay their hands on ?

Thanks.
Sure they are Yannis!

https://www.riva-yacht.com/it-it/
Carl

Post by Carl »

franzmerenda wrote: May 20th, '24, 03:41
Sorry for the delay but I'm slightly upside down for my litter 😍

LOL- No worries, you have your hands full there!

It's extra tough when they know they got it...and that pup certainly does.