B31 Aluminum Side Windows Frames Discrepancy

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

franzmerenda

B31 Aluminum Side Windows Frames Discrepancy

Post by franzmerenda »

Esteemed Experts:

Do You have any cognizance of some significant difference between starboard and port window frames?
We removed them from the boat and measured a discrepancy of 2 inches putting frames 'cheek to cheek'.
I was wondering if this happens with all boats...

Ironworker

Re: B31 Aluminum Side Windows Frames Discrepancy

Post by Ironworker »

The two halves of my boat are different. The pilasters are different as are the windows.

Visually its not an issue but its a PITA to rebuild one
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

For some reason they are all this way and they also seem to differ at times from boat to boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

The story I was told was that the windows were finished for each boat on the boat as it was made, not constructed beforehand. Which is another reason no window insert or prefabbed frames will just slide right into another boat.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 13:13 The story I was told was that the windows were finished for each boat on the boat as it was made, not constructed beforehand.
After many years of poking around in my Bertram 31 Sportfisher I believe our hulls and deckhouse configuration (and in my case galley head counters) were produced from molds at Bertram in Miami. They were then sent out to various sites to be finished. Amberjack was completed by Whitaker Yachts according to the hull data. They obviously used materials at hand including mixed fastners on the same component and some leftover old walnut finish laminate used for the engine compartment forward bulkhead. The floor plate in the forward cabin would likely not fit in any other B31 as it is an irregular polygon. Probably why each floor panel has the hull number written on the bottom, they probably cut them from patterns.

So I don’t doubt your side windows don’t match.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

The Whitaker Corporation owned Bertram Yachts along with Trojan Yachts for a number of years, before they sold them off. Whitaker purchased Bertram from Nautec in 1968. Whitaker was the basically the holding company for several other business ventures. At one point they were one of the largest if not the largest builder of Pleasure and Commercial Boats.

I believe they spun off or sold off Bertram Yachts somewhere around 1989 or 90 when they reorganized the Company.

Bertram Yachts was located in Miami and that is where the facility they were built. They never outsourced the building of their boats except for the Australian connection.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Thanks Tony, I learned something! I visited Bertram Yachts in the early ninties. What a drive along that backwater of the Miami River with its rusty old tramp freighters and the Miami Vice theme playing in my head.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

Doug, while Bertram may not have outsourced work to other companies, your observation of using whatever they had on hand may be right on target. The Bertram lineup consisted of several sizes of boats, I'd guess each line had an assortment of remnants, finish materials, and hardware around for the taking.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Unfortunately, the old Bertram employees with all the knowledge are no longer around. I remember sitting next to the old parts manager for Bertram at one of our AC gatherings. Tell him what part you need, and he could give you the part number off the top of his head.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Before I bought my boat in '13 I had a few questions and I exchanged mails with Mr. Fritz Mueller at Merritt Island.
He was very helpful and if he's still around he could provide answers to most difficult questions.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"