dash below windshield

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

S Ritzert

dash below windshield

Post by S Ritzert »

I don't know what the technical term for the dash in the cabin below the windshield is called. I want to cut this out, and open up the space to the v-birth.

On a 1964 31 FBC. are there any structural issues with cutting this out? I've seen it done on other boats, I don't know if they go back and re-support anything after words
Tony Meola

Re: dash below windshield

Post by Tony Meola »

You need to remember that the windows support the bridge. I have never taken one apart so not sure how built up that section is.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

It looked like snipe managed it on his refurbish, unless he purchased his that way.

Mine was redone by Cabrera in 02, so I don't know what is original in it. I know it has a fiberglass frame, and there is allthread between the stantions of the frame.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I did cut mine out I spoke with Jimmy G he cut it out on two boats and I kinda took some direction from him. I cut it out then made plywood cut outs to match the cut out section then laminated them together with thickened epoxy clamped them in place. I then made the outside piece out of some more laminated plywood and glued that in place with epoxy. I did use some mahogany in there also. There were some screws involved as well. So far so good no cracks. Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

That is nice work.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

SR,

Don't let Jason's work fool you.

This boat has the front windows glassed-in and the head separation wall serving as an additional support element.
I don't know if just the laminated wooden supports under the remaining ledge alone could be enough to support the fb weight.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Yannis,

I was thinking the same on the head being extra support. The boat came with the quarter rounded head, and a sliding pocket door that was never installed. I think that I am going to install it forward for and on the port side for the extra support, and glass it all in as one big bulkhead. Then I think I will glass in a gusset or arch support on the starboard side for extra support. I originally wanted to replace the glass because I love the open sunshine look of all the glass, and then install a lower helm. I have a 28 FBC at the moment, and I cant tell you how many times I got stuck on the bridge in the rain. Anyway, I decided to glass the windows in too for some extra rigidity.

Snipe,
I appreciate the photos. I think I have been through and read your project from start to finish a couple of times. That is awesome work brother, something to be proud of for sure!!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

SR,

Please give us a name that we can use, instead of initials.

Then, you probably realize you're limit offensive for moving from a 28 to a 31...LOL !!!
Nobody has done that, and the few who may have gone down this perilous path haven't to this day dared to admit it...
Good luck in rendering your boat the way it best suits your needs.
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Does my name not show under my avitar?

My name is Shannon, I will fix the issue that it does not show up.

I purchase my 28 in 2016 not knowing anything about Bertrams. I luckily fell into a Bertram so to speak. While I was refurbishing it, I stumbled on this site, and said..... Damn, I shoulda got a 31. Don't get me wrong, I love my 28, it has treated us well. I told my wife, my dream boat is a 31. She actually found this one on marketplace. After going to look at it, I told her that I really didnt want to get into another project boat, I want a turn key. I've been in the boating industry (tournament ski boats) since 1991, and I have refurbished my share of boats. Anyway, as I said with my 28, this one will be my last refurbish, I am going to make it ours, and the way we want it. I can tell this 31 has been loved quite a bit, it looks like Cabrera has done a nice job on their refit as far as sturdiness. I do think they could have really taken it over the top if they paid a little more attention to details, but hey, I got the details. lol. I hope that doesnt hurt anyone's feelings.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

The window frames were, I think, designed to support the fly bridge. Cutting out the console shouldn’t affect the load bearing capacity but it might affect torsion resistance.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Amberjack

I think you hit the nail on the head there. In my world, anything that connected the port to the starboard side helped rigidity in the way of twisting. Has anyone seen an open bow boat that has sit in a sling for long periods of time with the walk through windshield left open? sometimes you cannot close the windshield anymore because of the squeezing the slings cause.

This may be far fetched, but I have had decks removed from hulls, and removing the deck causes the hull to kinda "flop out" if you will.

I was concerned with the strength that the dash provided as a whole.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Snipe addressed it with reinforcement underneath the forward console and glassing in the windows.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

This was a picture Jimmy g sent me of his! Image
Jason
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Shannon,

I'm well aware that the use of pleasure boats in the US is very different from that in the Med.

However, if you have the intention to ever spend a night or two onboard, keep in mind that the 28 cabin is more generous than the 31's.
It is wider, especially in the V berth area, it is longer overall, and taller in the salon area.
So, while in the process of removing part of the ledge, you may wish to consider to prolong the V berth's length, to the detriment of the salon area, at least on one side. I did this in my 28 and it's a real game changer.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Glassing in the front windows stiffens the boat up a bit. That is something that Bob Lilco had noted several times.

Jimmy G had some interesting features incorporated into the cabin. If I remember correctly, he had two bunks on the Port side that folded flat up against the bulkhead. I don't remember what his other seating was on that side. The paint job on her was top notch, but then if Jimmy couldn't give her a good paint job no one could.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Tony he did have bunks I also did bunks on the port side. Image Image
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

I really like that idea. It works perfect especially with kids. I have shared that dinette while offshore. Not the best way to try to sleep. I use to prefer to sleep on the engine box.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Ditto,

Those bunks are awesome!