Hatteras Hull #1

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Hatteras Hull #1

Post by Ironworker »

I went to the the Ft Lauderdale boat show on Thursday and one of the boats that I toured was Hatteras's Hull #1. They found Knit Witts and completely refurbished the boat. They had more people touring this old 60's boat than their new boats!

They did an excellent job refinishing that boat.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Re: Hatteras Hull #1

Post by Carl »

Knit Witt was refurbished in the late 80’s early 90’s, did they redo again?

I remember as my dad has a 28’ from 1966 that I believe is hull #1 and his friend, a prior owner of the boat was giving dad pictures and articles about the boat telling him he should call Hatteras n see if they wanted to buy the boat. Supposedly they made a good deal with the knit wit owner for that boat.

Interesting how the boat was designed with being used for military use…then again I believe the same was true with the 31’s.
micky

Post by micky »

They just did a keel up restoration, New Cat C7.1 engines, complete tower and interior.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Carl wrote: Oct 29th, '23, 13:21
Interesting how the boat was designed with being used for military use…then again I believe the same was true with the 31’s.
I wrote that wrong...the boats were considered and used to some degree by the military.

micky wrote: Oct 30th, '23, 06:23 They just did a keel up restoration, New Cat C7.1 engines, complete tower and interior.
I'm not sure I get the reason for this...Sure more power to push faster, run cleaner. Tower and interior too? The boat in my understanding had limitations in seas from every direction. The design was great for the 60's, but today a bit dated in both style and performance. Then again I'm in an old boat and the Express looks the most dated of all models so its kind of throwing stones in a glass house.

hmm, then today there is so much retro going on, that just maybe it does make sense.

And compared to todays "new Innovative designs", Hell I'd take the Knit Wits in just about any good running state over some models...ever see a Pardo or Absolute?

https://www.siyachts.com/new-yachts-for ... rdo-50_274

I guess it is just me as they are selling tons of them...

and the big arse CC's. Guy fueling up after me on Saturday (halleluja, the fuel dock was open!)was taking on his usual 500 gallons of gasoline. I have a tough time getting that...I get having the money to buy what you want and being able to afford to put 500 gallons in the tank. I just have a tough time wrapping my head around it being gasoline.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I am sorry I missed that. Was there on Saturday. Spent some time at the Bertram tent - tried to get some remodel ideas from the Bertram 35 -

Here is the Hatteras

https://www.marinemax.com/connect/lifes ... -knit-wits

My first time at the FLIBS - and I have to say it has HUGE - I know I missed things - but really it was almost too big.
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

And I'm with you Carl - not a fan of some of the newer boat designs. Of course I'm not wearing my lime green speedo on the boat either - so probably not the right demographic
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

There are those that just like those real old lines. The difference between out boat and that Hatteras is the fact the lines of the 31 are timeless. The hull will still run with the best of them, and they can raise fish.

Those new European styles like the Pardo are just butt ugly. I don't get it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315