Bertram 37, Cat 3208ta’s leaking aftercooler

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Seapalm

Bertram 37, Cat 3208ta’s leaking aftercooler

Post by Seapalm »

Hey Folks, I am under contract to purchase a 1990 Bertram 37 with Cat 3208ta’s 375 hp. During the engine survey and the sea trial the engine surveyor found the leaking aftercooler. The oil analysis on the starboard engine also revealed a high Sodium content which indicates the leaking aftercooler as well. The engines both performed flawlessly, hit the RPM’s, low/no blow by, and appears to be performing up to standards. The present owner said it has been 7 years since any maintanence was performed on the aftercooler.

Questions: is this a common occurrence with no damage? If the cores are shot, what is availability and where? Any idea on what to expect in costs?

My last Bertram had Cummins and I maintained the aftercooler in 5 year increments and kept them clean as a whistle and the boat sat in Brackish water which helped. The Cats are new to me and your feed back is most welcoming and appreciated. Thanks in advance!
SeaPalm
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle
DanielM

Re: Bertram 37, Cat 3208ta’s leaking aftercooler

Post by DanielM »

Seapalm

I can’t help you with info on the leaking aftercooler info, but I think parts are still pretty readily available for the 3208s. At least that is what I‘ve been told when I was looking into them. Hopefully one of the guys that has them will chime in.

I’ve looked at a couple boats with 3208s and while they are old tech, there are a bunch of them out there. One of my neighbors is a retired charter boat captain and he has one in the boat he ran charters on that is around 50 years old and I don’t know how many thousands of hours. His still runs well. I looked at a boat with Cummins 903s and passed on it because I understand it’s near impossible to get parts for those. But I understand parts aren’t much of an issue for the 3208s. But again no direct knowledge.

I’m sure you’re aware but the B37 has the cored hull below the water line. That might factor in on your decision.

I’m going to be pulling my bay boat to the Florida Keys some time in 2024, don’t know when just yet, but if I run through the panhandle in the daylight hours I’d like to stop in and meet you if you wouldn’t mind. We used to take the kids to Panama City Beach to scuba dive when we were young. Loved Ft Walton/Destin PCB back then. I drove through Mexico City Beach last summer for the first time in 20+ years and it was amazing how much building going on since Hurricane Michael
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

Daniel,
Please reach out when in my neck of the woods! If this deal goes through, I’ll take you offshore on the Bertram! I enjoy hanging with Bertram folks and would welcome your visit.
Cheers,
Sago
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Thanks. We’ll be making the long road trip from Texas to the Keys sometime in 2024, just don’t know when.

It will be nice to meet you and shoot the bull about all those old Bertrams you’ve had over the years. That and I need to make the drive along 30A again one more time before it gets completely built out.

I’ll reach out when I figure out timing.
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

Well… we walked away from the B37. Beautiful boat outside the engine room. The owner would not extend the contract to “work out” the engine and aftercooler issues. Also wood cored below the waterline is a no go for me. Makes me miss my 35 with the Cummins even more…
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle