Rain in the Forecast for the weekend

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Rain in the Forecast for the weekend

Post by Carl »

Rain, how unusual for the weekend...

I am not going to complain as I have been getting out during the week lately to fish a bit after work. The weather has been great during the week in the late afternoon, with awesome sunsets. The fishing was great...granted it was great fishing "before" I made it out...but at least I got out and did manage a couple of small bass. I did get to see the bass boiling on top, the boat ran top shelf.

In some seasons the weather is just off, I believe this was one of those seasons with rain, wind, and/or a busy schedule when the weather did cooperate.

I think I'll take advantage of the mild weather, pull, winterize, maybe figure out a winter project to tackle, and look forward to Spring.
ktm_2000

Re: Rain in the Forecast for the weekend

Post by ktm_2000 »

at least you are getting out....

I have a love / hate relationship with trailering. I love the flexibility to fish different locations and reduced cost of fuel tanking up at local gas stations but on the flip side it isn't always worth it to hook up the trailer and go out for an hour or 2 after work. While I can do the whole thing solo, it isn't the easiest thing by yourself. Nevermind the boat ramp can be extremely frustrating when a bozo or 2 get in line in front of you and their engine doesn't start or they just don't get that you if you completely submerge your trailer, yes it is easy to crank the boat up but the chances of aligning on the bunks aren't very good.

With my new found speed as well as fuel efficiency I am re-thinking getting a slip to get more use out of my rig.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Matthew, you have been getting out as in going offshore, something I really wanted to do this year.

Trailering has its merits without a doubt. I thought about doing that early on when getting into boating. The cost savings of not having a slip made it reasonable to justify buying a truck just to tow the trailer. Then after my 2nd season, I realized I used the boat as a quick getaway after work. I could go straight to the boat and fish for an hour or two, go home with a clear head to cook dinner before my wife got home. OR we'd eat and go to the boat for a quick ride, fish, or just hang out on the boat or dock chewing the fat with other boaters who became our closest friends over the years.

If I had to trailer the boat I doubt I'd use the boat during the week...not enough time and not worth the effort for me. I have a wave runner on a trailer at the yard. To use it I can drive or walk the trailer over to our hoist, lift n launch it in a few minutes. But even that requires a commitment as when done it has to be pulled, flushed, covered and put back. While a blast we often just say. eh... let's just take the boat for a ride n be done.

All depends on how you want to use the boat.

I used to use mine in the rain...I lost the allure of doing that.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Carl I thought I would see you out there I have been sneaking out after work as well. Fishing has been pretty good. I might just pull the boat soon as well I did have a Great season but I have stuff to get to work on. Put 90 hours on her this season ran flawlessly.
Jason
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sorry Carl, my bad. The Bertram gods have been crying every weekend my boat should have been in the water. We are working on it.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sorry don’t butter the biscuit Peter, push to get that boat in and make the Bertram gods happy… lol

Jason, I’ve been keeping an eye out for you. Glad to see you put some hours on the boat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Well, I beat you guys to it. I pulled the boat. We were going away and I have things going on eating up time, plus with the weather forecast I figured it was just not worth keeping it in. Now I need some time and a couple of nice days to finish the job.

By the way, they are killing the stripes down where I am. Figures, I pull early, and the fish show up early. Can't win.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

LOL - Tony I hear you...after this weekend with all the rain n wind, I was set to pull the boat this week.
Yesterday a flood of calls n texts about the bite being better than last week. I couldn't get out of here yesterday to go, but going to try for it today...just one more trip. LOL

Funny, I am so not used to "No Keepers Today" being a good thing, as all the fish are Too Big. Great for me, I release' m anyway...less to clean when I get back.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Long Range forecast for Sunday looks good wind wise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zZvHsKTjDY9jsWE8A

I've got calls out looking for crew. looking to run out of Cape Cod Canal and head towards Provincetown and then go around the backside
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

ktm_2000 wrote: Oct 24th, '23, 09:51 Long Range forecast for Sunday looks good wind wise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zZvHsKTjDY9jsWE8A

I've got calls out looking for crew. looking to run out of Cape Cod Canal and head towards Provincetown and then go around the backside
Maybe we can charter a bus that is willing to make the rounds picking all of us up and we can all come up and join you. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Friday is a bit iffy but have crew lined up for it, still looking for crew on sunday

gonna try run and gun on spinning gear but will bring gear to troll a 6 rod spread
Carl

Post by Carl »

Good luck Mathew, I had 2 people want to go with me last night. I left when planned, and had my first fish in before I got the call that they could not make it.

It looks like I will have to stay in a bit longer...77 degrees Friday, 80 on Saturday, a light breeze forecasted, and the striper bite is on. Oh, the problems I have to deal with!

Then again a lot can happen between hump day n Friday.

Non the less, the boat stays in a bit longer.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Carl,
Sounds like you had a good night anyways!!!

Sunday might be a bust wind wise but I managed to move my meetings around and am taking friday off. The guys coming with me are reliable and we are going to launch out of the canal before dawn and head towards Ptown to load the livewell with macs to keep our options for fishing styles open. There are reports of bigger fish on the bank but mostly bait fishing, it would be fun to get hooked up even though we wouldn't stand a chance on one of my 50s. Whatever happens with Charlie, we have seen a lot of reports of folks doing well on Haddock and we will already be in the right area, so we will be bringing a gallon of clams and a bunch of hi-lo rigs and will try to load up a cooler.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

haddock regs are now 15 fish >18" per angler, and 1 cod >22" this may turn into a freezer run
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

The weather is really crazy. Did no train in South Jersey at all. Friday was overcast and not as warm as the predicted. Saturday was sunny and warm. Sunday was cloudy but comfortable and today, before I left, was sunny hot and humid. Drove North and as we neared the Raritan River it was getting cloudy and temp. dropped about 15 degrees from where we were.

But no matter what, winter is coming. Always does.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Friday was a shorts, but bring a jacket day.

Saturday was a Shorts n T-shirt day. Great afternoon fishing, even caught a keeper! We went over to the Tiki-Bar for a nice outside dinner on the water, full moon and not a breeze. I almost wanted...no I did want to go back out fishing after. Would have been perfect for it...but had to go to a haunted house thing. Fishing would have been more fun n exciting, but all good.

Sunday I thought the weather people got it wrong, it was breezy n cool, but no hint of rain. So I went for a long walk with the dog, he's not a fan of the rain. We got poured on, the look he gave me all the way back was...well he was not thinking pleasant thoughts about me. LOL.

I'm not sure there was a point to my rambling...aside from I got another nice day out on the boat and it was not during the week but a weekend. Not a bad way to end the season.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Alchemy came out a couple weeks ago now. It just gets too windy…. Sad but needed to happen. She was all winterized two weeks ago!!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug wrote: Oct 31st, '23, 19:59 Alchemy came out a couple weeks ago now. It just gets too windy…. Sad but needed to happen. She was all winterized two weeks ago!!
Dug

I am with you. The older I get the more I don't like putting the boat away in the cold.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'm not a fan of the cold anymore.

Had to go out fishing yesterday, trying to tie knots in braid with cramped hands and no feeling in my fingers was far from fun. But I had to do what I had to do...so I did.

I thought I'd try jigging for the bass as it's something I really never do and since the fish are around...

Anyway, the bunker is so thick and everywhere that I wound up snagging bunker after bunker on my jig...so finally listened to what I was being told deciding to live line a live bunker. Hooked it up, tossed it out, bamm! immediate run-off...except the line went up, got a seagull. Untangled him..or her, (I do not know the proper pronoun) had to cut the line, away he/she/ them or they went flying away. Re-tie new setup n bunker it up, tossed had a hit, lost and my rig was all tangled. As it was now past sundown I said enough is enough, cut it all off n called it a day.

All in all a great night!

What is worse than rain...THE COLD.
Tides should be right to haul out this weekend, I think I'll really pull her this weekend.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

I pulled Water-Lou out a week and a half ago, just before a short trip to visit my daughter and her family in Helsinki. Temperatures here the previous week were in the high sixties and low seventies. I didn't put quite as many hours on her as in the previous five seasons. However, this was the first year since I bought her that she has run reliably every time I wanted to go out. I count it as a good year. Maybe I'll try my hand at fishing next summer.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Oops, I read that too fast Peter, for a second I thought you took a quick trip with the boat to Helsinki. How did your daughter and family come to live there? Or were you the transplant to the US?

In this area I think many did not rack up the hours of past seasons. Glad to hear you’re getting the boat to be dependable. For me it took awhile to learn the boat and all its system’s, but once I did having that knowledge kept me ahead of issues that came up. Better to nip them in the bud before an issue became a problem.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Carl wrote: Nov 1st, '23, 17:11 Oops, I read that too fast Peter, for a second I thought you took a quick trip with the boat to Helsinki. How did your daughter and family come to live there? Or were you the transplant to the US?
My daughter went to Finland as an exchange student for her junior year in high school. After she graduated from college she returned as Fulbright Scholar, stayed, and got a job there. Her two children have dual citizenship.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

It has to be tough having the children and grandchildren so far away. You get limited visits, but I bet when you do they are fun.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Wow!

Peter, I'd imagine that is a double-edged sword, tough being so far but so proud she followed her path.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Carl wrote: Nov 2nd, '23, 06:58 Wow!

Peter, I'd imagine that is a double-edged sword, tough being so far but so proud she followed her path.
We are. She’s an equity partner at KPMG.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Carl

Post by Carl »

pschauss wrote: Nov 2nd, '23, 07:29 We are. She’s an equity partner at KPMG.

Awesome for her!!