A reflection on those who have passed and still with us

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

A reflection on those who have passed and still with us

Post by Bruce »

Tough year health wise for myself and my youngest daughter. Going thru these things and getting older and having a bunch of down time I reflected on a lot of things not the least of these was this web site.

I remember when Pat and I talked about doing the internet thing and he said he wanted to make a site specific to Bertram 31's.
He went for it and developed this site to honor the greatest boat ever built. It took off right away and he was amazed at the response.

The first person we met was Mike when Pat and I were hired to run a customer's Hatteras to Palm Beach. Mike picked us up and took us to dinner and then to his house. People that never met each other before were like long lost friends.

Then came Uncle Vic, Snow, Tommy, Dug, Doc, The Judge, Andre, Walter in the beginning who were and are all a class act. Then It was the flop house in Lauderdale, the location get togethers and then the UVI's, of which Vic always won, and then Tropic Star. Many more others too numerous to name, you know who you are, were joined together even for a weekends getaway to lie and tell fish stories.

Slowly people passed who had been with us from the beginning including Patrick who I still miss.

The rest of us are getting older and there are some youngens here which is good to see. With the world seemingly going to hell in a hand basket and terminal cases of dumbass rampant, its good to reflect on the memories and the joy we got from this group while our memories still work that is.

Thanks to all for keeping this web site going in my down time.
neil

Re: A reflection on those who have passed and still with us

Post by neil »

Bruce I remember when capt pat introduced uncle Vic to us in Newport he referred to him as his platinum spark plug ,we surely have met some great people thru this site since that day,and you are not getting older but wiser thanks for keeping us all together
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

Sorry to hear about your struggles.

I can remember when I first stumbled across Capt. Pat's first site. I would be stuck at work and would take a break to look up stuff on the internet. It was all fairly new back then. I was in all my glory finding a bunch of guys talking about Bertram's. Then one day the site was gone, and I found it had changed.

I finally joined up back in 96 and have continued to stop in almost every day to see what is going on.

I think back about all those guys we lost, as well as those that have moved on. Everyone ready to help each other, be it boats or opening their homes to other members who needed comfort for medical or family reasons.

Thanks to Capt. Pat, you and Mike it has been a great ride, and it continues to this day. We have seen some new blood join in and it still amazes me how we can keep on figuring out new ways to make these little boats continue to work for us.

Bruce, Thank You for keeping this going and if you ever need anything, just let us know.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bruce I wish you and your daughter the best of health. Prays to both of you, I can only guess your daughters hurt you more than your own.

Maybe I’m still considered the newbie young guy still, unfortunately I’m now old enough that I can only hope. I’m so grateful to Capt Pat and still have regrets I didn’t become the steward of Buddy Boy. Upon reflect any extra heartache would have been worth it.

Been hanging around since 2011, my wife actually found the printed hand towel recently from the 2011 rendezvous in Greenport. I was lucky enough to order some CX from Uncle Vic, pick up a cookbook from Walter at his house among many other things.

There are a good dozen guys on here I wouldn’t hesitate to call this moment to ask questions or shoot the breeze, sometimes I abuse that privilege I’m so appreciative of everything this place has given to my family.

Wish all of you the best always.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

BTW for those not on Facebook Blue Beard is getting the crap fished out of it somewhere off the coast of Africa and the owner is a wonderful steward of that boat. It’s great to see whenever he pops up.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Peter,
Thanks for posting that about Walters 31. I was privileged along with a few others to have dinner at Walters house at one time. He was someone who came along in life not to often as many of the people here are. A man of many talents not the least of which was his cook book.

And BTW, while Pat and I put our heart and souls into Buddy Boy, from your description of the condition of the boat from sitting for years, you did the smart thing and walked away.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Yes, Walter was a gem. I got to fish with him at Tropic Star on the first trip down there. A true gentleman. And Pat and UV! it still brings a tear to my eye to think of them gone!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

A sobering post Bruce, all the best for you and your daughter - and please stay Bertram strong.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Carl

Post by Carl »

...it has been difficult to respond to this post.

Bruce, my prayers to you and your daughter for what you are and have been going through, health is everything.

Reflecting on those who have passed is tough. I believe the first I recall was Dave Kosh. Great guy, I spoke with him a couple of times as we did our cockpit decks around the same time and traded ideas. His 31 was a heavier beast from the military I believe.

"First you make a roux" Vic Roy, Uncle Vic was always good at shaking things up a bit while adding levity, always addressing his wife as his "Bride". I'm not sure how he got my number but was shocked when he called to offer any help he could when I was going through problems after Sandy. I was so rooting for him to make a turn for the better beating it.

Captain Walter, I am grateful to have met him at the Greenpoint Rendevous along with Captain Patrick.

Captain Patrick...a man of many talents and so willing to share his knowledge.

Yes, a tough post. But good to reflect from time to time as if they are remembered, they are never gone.

I remember.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Bruce,

Sorry to hear of you and your daughter’s health issues. Y’all will be in my prayers. It’s always tougher when it involves our children. If ever anything I can do, even if just to lend an ear, please let me know.

And Thank you to you and Mike (and everyone else that had a hand in it) for keeping Patrick’s internet ‘sandbox’ as UV called it, going. I don’t post often, but hardly a day goes by that I don’t check in and get a kick from the crew in here. Also thank you to the guys currently posting new content that keeps this place active and useful.

It’s hard to believe it’s been over 20 years since I first logged in here. I’ve met some good friends and had some good experiences directly from just being a part of this over the years.

Carl, you mention Dave Kosh, he was one of the first people that reached out and talked with me offline, and I guess he was the first of the group that I knew that passed away. I think there were others that had passed before Dave, but he was the first guy I knew. A nice guy. There have certainly been a lot of good folks pass on since.

As I sit at my desk I look up on the top shelf in my office. It’s my ‘boat stuff’ shelf. I have my “At Rest At Sea” koozie from Pat’s memorial in NC sitting next to a little wooden toy boat my dad made me 50 years ago when I was a kid. I probably need to add Harv’s “Best Boat Ever Built” license plate frame (I think Harv made those) and Walter’s signed cookbook up there too. My B31 stash from over the years.

Thanks for letting a non-B31 boat guy hang around with the mean team in the sandbox.
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

Ladies and Gentlemen,
This site is like a Family, or better Friends which is Family that we choose to keep. I have been away from this site as I sold my B31 years ago. I the bought a Bertram 35 w/370 Cummins, got an offer I couldn’t refuse and sold it exactly a year ago. God knows we miss that boat, so now I’m under contract on a Bertram 37 and I decided to loop back to you guys with advice.
But this thread really hits home for me! I already had Prostate Cancer and beat it! Amen, and after Jimmy Buffet headed West due to skin cancer it was time for me to visit my Dermatologist… and low and behold I had a spot of Melanoma… Got it removed, but have realized how short life really is!.

Time for another Bertram! While on these boats, all the stress, health issues, and world problems stay ashore. And connecting back to you guys is like a Family visit! You folks are awesome, caring, and sharing of your so valuable knowledge and TIME! Thank you for being a friend!
Cheers!
SeaPalm
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Had MOHS surgery Monday to remove a spot of squamous cell on my forearm. We are now paying for our youthful indiscretions.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I hear you! I keep my dermatologist on speed dial.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce, Its been a long tie and some of the best of times. I wish you and your family health and happiness without end. To those who have been here for the long haul, thank you for so much. The newbies? Lol, aw heck, no such thing, thank you too. Pete I cannot wait to see your boat on the water this summer. Its been a ride and it ain’t over!!!
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Hey Bruce haven't stuck my nose in here for a while, life happens, directions change you know. Hope things improve for you and your family. Nothing worse than stuff you can't fix when it comes to those you love. All the stuff above triggers some great memories for those I had the pleasure of meeting and those that I just spoke with here or over the phone. Thanks for keeping it going Pat would approve. Wishing the best for your daughter and yourself.....I feel ya.
-Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage