The last day of summer

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

The last day of summer

Post by Amberjack »

We moved Amberjack into Portage Bay winter moorage yesterday. It was a brilliant sparkling day and a wonderful way to end the summer saltwater boating season.

Waiting for the large locks gate to open onto the lake

Rain forecast for the entire next week, it’s good to be in freshwater and under cover now. We used to come in at the end of October and frequently wound up pushing into a 45F 15 k northerly. This is much better.

Oh yes, we finally started to figure out the salmon. This is a 6 lb silver. They’ve up in the lake now and I’ll try for some if the rain lets up before the end of the lake season on the 30th

We are fortunate to have these boats that afford us such wonderful experiences
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Re: The last day of summer

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

I guess rain is going to end the season for a lot of us. Been raining and windy here since Friday night. Not supposed stop raining until Wednesday, then let's see what's next.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

The rain stopped Wednesday, had some sun for a bit....now it's Thursday with rain starting again this afternoon till Saturday.

I thought this rainy weather was supposed to be in Seattle...
Actually, I think this weather is my fault...I reeled in a buds pole a couple weeks ago...SOOoo much smoother n lighter than the old old Penns I have. I had sworn I wasn't going to buy anything nice again since my stuff was stolen after Sandy. But I did and I got one trip with it till the weather turned, I've been busting to catch something on it...

Doug- Cool shot of the lock. What is the crane for? Besides the obvious, lifting stuff.

I like the idea of running to a final end-of-season destination. Seems like an event to reflect on the seasons' happenings and look forward to next year.
You are right in closing up the boat is nicer before the weather turns.
I tend to wait too long in hopes of catching one last "nice" striped bass before hauling the boat, power washing and winterizing. By then the water on the dock has been shut off, the powerwasher spray chills me to the bone and winterizing has my hands locking up in the cold. Of course it's too cold to clean up the cabin so that is put off till spring. Maybe this season I'll settle on one of the earlier fish being "nice" enough.

I thought for a second you were flying my Clubs burgee, it looks to be a very similar design with the same colors... Seattle Yacht Club?

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl,

I’ve never had that end of season run either. It’s usually hoping I can get one more trip in, falls through the weather sucks and we winterize her in her slip

Im hoping but not holding my breath that someday we will move her to a warmer climate to actually use her for the winter at some point. It’s doubtful but that’s the dream.

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I would love to move the boat south, but living down south is getting to a point where it is not much better than up here. The only advantage is depending on where you go, you can use the boat more.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

My dad had the same dream of bringing his boat to Florida...and he did, has had it there for 10-15 years.

Gorgeous. warm water out of Port St Lucie, offshore trips are 20-30 miles, beach or sandbars to enjoy the water a stones throw from the marina ...

There is a downside there though...winds will keep him from using the boat for extended periods through the year, the heat gets stupid by late morning, dockage rates are ridiculous, growth on the boat gets crazy, and hurricanes need a place to go whether a haul out or run it up a canal. Sharks are everywhere, some days it's fishing for heads as the shark gets the rest.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Carl wrote: Sep 28th, '23, 06:51
Doug- Cool shot of the lock. What is the crane for? Besides the obvious, lifting stuff.

I thought for a second you were flying my Clubs burgee, it looks to be a very similar design with the same colors... Seattle Yacht Club?

Carl-The crane is used to drop in a temporary bulkhead to form a cofferdam when they need to do maintenance on the lock gate. Also I guess for emergency in case of gate failure. We were in the large locks, unusual because this time of year they prefer to use the small locks to minimize water loss from the lake system. Large locks are 80' x 825' , drop is about 20'. We found out why when the gates opened, two enormous ocean tugs and a 200' fish processor were hanging out waiting on the uphill side.

Yes, Seattle Yacht Club. Its startling how similar the two burgees are.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl wrote: Sep 29th, '23, 08:24 My dad had the same dream of bringing his boat to Florida...and he did, has had it there for 10-15 years.

Gorgeous. warm water out of Port St Lucie, offshore trips are 20-30 miles, beach or sandbars to enjoy the water a stones throw from the marina ...

There is a downside there though...winds will keep him from using the boat for extended periods through the year, the heat gets stupid by late morning, dockage rates are ridiculous, growth on the boat gets crazy, and hurricanes need a place to go whether a haul out or run it up a canal. Sharks are everywhere, some days it's fishing for heads as the shark gets the rest.
I don’t think that would deter me when the other option is tending the fireplace and shoveling snow
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

I’m trying to rationalize being here for winter Peter.

I don’t mind tending the fireplace, but not fond of shoveling. Even shoveling is not so bad… it’s the wet n cold that I am disliking more n more.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote: Sep 30th, '23, 09:09 I’m trying to rationalize being here for winter Peter.

I don’t mind tending the fireplace, but not fond of shoveling. Even shoveling is not so bad… it’s the wet n cold that I am disliking more n more.
Carl

We are just getting old. I feel the same way.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315