bow light replacement bulb holders & replacement cap?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ktm_2000

bow light replacement bulb holders & replacement cap?

Post by ktm_2000 »

Hi All,

My bow light wasn't working well so I went into it today over lunch, I started off with my red light working and the green not, ended up with the green working and the red not. shows you how good I am at troubleshooting :) I'm sure if I took a few more min to clean contacts and maybe replace a bulb I could get them both working again but the question is for how long....

I think the bulb holders are original and they are a bit corroded so I am thinking that the best path is to replace them and get LED bulbs while I am at it.

Does anyone know if this is a stock size holder or if one needs to buy something similar and tweak it to make it work?

also over the years one of the caps is missing, anyone know of a source of a replacement?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LVr4Gpn4GuTrB8KV8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7az9PjUTwwz26Ysw9
CamB25

Re: bow light replacement bulb holders & replacement cap?

Post by CamB25 »

I feel your pain. I started with incandescent lights (now outlawed, I guess) and I'm on my 2nd set of LEDs. This last try seems good. and very bright.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JHM9Q9M?re ... th=1&psc=1

The issue I found is water intrusion under the lenses. Corrodes the contacts and fries the LEDs. I now use a gasket to seal between the lens base and the housing...seems to work. Installing the snap ring compresses the gasket foam to make a good seal. The sockets are standard - match to the bulb.

I don't know where to get a replacement cap. If Hi Tide doesn't have them I would try McMaster-carr for something that "works".

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I messed with it some more, one bulb is bad, swapped good to other side and it worked, I am not sure based upon what you said if it is worth getting LED bulbs or just get a new set of incandesent.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I am going to be pissed at myself for rocking the boat, but changed out the old bulbs to new 25+ year ago has held up great.

FYI- no LEDs back then….
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I followed Jasons fix for the running lights.

https://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14981

You need to scroll through some of the posts to get to it.

I purchased a red and green bulb since I read that the White LED is really blue and distorts the red and green color. I have to say, it is really red and really green when lit.

If you follow what he did, it creates a really snug seal once the top is back on.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Not sure what size the caps are but try a plumbing supply. Perhaps one of the chrome caps that fills the soap dispenser hole might work.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Thank goodness mine has the solid top! I don't know why they went to the one with the hole on the top.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Tony Meola wrote: Aug 23rd, '23, 21:20 I followed Jasons fix for the running lights.

https://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14981

You need to scroll through some of the posts to get to it.

I purchased a red and green bulb since I read that the White LED is really blue and distorts the red and green color. I have to say, it is really red and really green when lit.

If you follow what he did, it creates a really snug seal once the top is back on.
That's the basic method I used except I didn't have the gasketing material, so I installed a foam gasket on the base of the lens. I tried the same LEDs Jason used, but before I had a good seal - failed in a couple of months. I keep a spare set of LEDs and snap ring pliers on board now.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I'm going to kick the can down the road.... $7 got me a pair of new incandescent bulbs, I could find the same bayonet but not the same size glass and these are bigger so hopefully they last.