Raw water hoses

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Raw water hoses

Post by pschauss »

I discovered a pinhole leak in the hose which goes from one of my oil coolers to the heat exchanger. This is 454 with the old-style log manifolds, in case that make a difference. The existing hose was molded with a sharp, right angle bend so that it could run up between the alternator bracket and the engine block. Is it going to be possible to bend length of generic 1 1/4 inch wire reenforced raw water hose to fit into this spot?

Several of the places that I have checked so far list this part as backordered, not available until sometime in August.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Re: Raw water hoses

Post by Carl »

I would not expect the reinforced hose to make a tight bend...if you can go with a large loop, that is an option.

Silicone hose can make tighter bends, but $$, slippery plus you should use special clamps and it is still not great with tight radiuses.

You can add a fitting to achieve the right angle. Regular 90's will restrict flow, look for swept elbows in bronze or red brass.

What I'd do first, is take the old piece of molded hose to an automotive store. Ask the "Sales Technician/ Associate" to look for a stock hose that incorporates the bend you want in the size you need. Use a hacksaw to cut out the part you need. As long as this is on the pressure side (after pump) you'll be good with cloth reinforced hose coolant (radiator) hose for your raw water. Not overly comfy with this...use till the OEM comes in and keep as a spare.
Last edited by Carl on Jul 12th, '23, 08:53, edited 2 times in total.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Carl,

The old hose still had a label with the part number on it. The part number checked out to a radiator hose for a late 1990s Cadillac. My local auto parts shop found one for me. After I trimmed it to match the old hose it fit perfectly.

Given that the old one lasted at least five years I figure this one should last until the OEM part comes in.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Carl wrote: Jul 11th, '23, 10:33 Not overly comfy with this...use till the OEM comes in and keep as a spare.

That should have read - "If you're" not overly comfy with this...use till the OEM comes in and keep as a spare.

Me, I'd be fine leaving using the tweaked radiator hose and just keep the OEM as a spare if it ever comes in.