Filler Cap

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Filler Cap

Post by Carl »

Howdy-

It's the cheap in me coming out...

As I look for something else to buy on SB marine for free shipping I got to wondering, what the difference is between a $64 SS Cummins AC Delco Fill Cap, the SS SB Marines '$32 cap and a regular $10 Stant Cap, provided each is the same 15psi. SS isn't a big difference as it's in the engine compartment. The difference aside from the cost.

I'll most likely buy a pair of SB's as mine didn't make the grade when checking the system. But it bugs me...
Tony Meola

Re: Filler Cap

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Personally, I would go down to NAPA and see if I could get the Stant. I would go that route first. Not sure you need something special as long as it has the right specs.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I know everyone was on the edge of their seats waiting on the outcome...

I brought the old cap to my local NAPA shop. They cross-reference to their matching part, they had two on the shelf. Lucky for me I only needed two. So for $13 bucks I now have two working caps. Fresh flushed motors, new coolant and caps, pressure tested and I hope to be good for a while.

This all started last year when I went in and ran hot on the first ride...seems I lost a bunch of coolant over the winter layup. I let it cool, topped off and the boat didn't lose a drop till I went to winterize last year finding both motors low. Seems the new hoses dripped a bit under pressure and for whatever reason I'm thinking the system only held pressure when cold out or maybe the cold broke the seal. Anyway, hope I found that issue, I'll be sure to monitor and see.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I am not sure paying more for a cummins cap would make a difference. I mean, the only difference could be the quality of the gasket and the metal used, and I doubt if they are different. I bet Stant makes them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony-
My best guess based on nothing says your right, so I went that route. I'll keep an eye on them and see what I see...

Had I been a little lax I'd have gotten the SB caps, I ordered a tach-sending unit with some extra filters the day prior to bump up to free shipping. I was going to order a spare raw water pump to bump, but SB was a good amount more than Amazon on the pump...but no free shipping on Amazon...I'm annoyed at that too. Almost didn't order for that reason...but still considerably less coin.
I was planning to buy a rebuild kit, but the kit is more than 2/3 the cost of a new pump. Crazy...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

SB has some nice stuff, but not sure the higher price is not make it more advantageous to go with Cummins. Is there really that much of a difference in the water pump. I am not sure, but I know he claims he built a better mouse trap. If it was, I would think more mechanics would make them part of their standard replacement parts.

Well good luck with the caps.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Carl I am sure the ones you got are fine. As long as they hold the pressure. So they might not be as pretty as a stainless one. Tony I did buy the seawater pumps from seaboard but I haven’t had them apart yet. I also have three original pumps on the shelf at home two used and one brand new. The used ones look like they are almost new.
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

I may order one of the SB caps with my next order just to swap out and see. The ones I picked up at NAPA hold pressure and are a match to what I had on the motors...only I am not 100% sure they were the right ones. All good though, I had the boat out last night and she ran good.

Tony (SB marine)does not offer an upgraded seawater pump for my 210 motors (1-1/4" dia ports). He sells the standard OEM, M71 Sherwood pump. So either it is a good pump or there is not enough of a market for a redesign. In any case, I saw some dust collecting under the starboard pump, thought I'd do a full rebuild and be as good as new. But that frugal feeling came over me when the major rebuild kit was so close to the cost of a new pump. Hell, it's easier to change a pump than the impellor if an issue. So the new will go in and I'll have a spare that can be rebuilt.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

Like I said, I also have a small leaking/evaporation of cooling fluid in my port engine but not as serious as this, so I haven't thought to change anything.

However, if it's just a cap I might change it and see if there's any difference.
I'm only too skeptical to go to Yanmar and ask for one new cap, I fear that my first reaction would be to lough my @@@ off when I hear the price!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hyannis

Myanmar is proud of their parts.

Carl

I hear you, changing the impeller on mine us a pain. Use the bolt to work it out, but I only get about a 1/4 turn on the bolt do to lack of room. Takes forever.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315