Bomb Cyclone

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rawleigh

Bomb Cyclone

Post by Rawleigh »

I hope you guys in the Northeast are ready for what's coming! I just saw one article warning of flooding on a hurricane Sandy scale. I know that's probably exaggeration but still be ready and safe out there.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Re: Bomb Cyclone

Post by Carl »

We brought stuff in, toed stuff down, and checked boat stands.

Weather people broadcast a major event using words like bomb cyclone, blizzard, torrential rain, sustained high winds, major flooding, and tornadoes on the back end. The other end of the spectrum is from their own weather app feeds showing what I'd consider a really good storm, 25-30 moh winds gusting to 50, heavy rain and coastal flooding. But flooding is always in the predictions here with wind n rain. Then the temp drop to 15...that could be a problem... Ice and bad drivers makes for a tough commute.

Thanks Rawleigh, how r u feeling?
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

I will second Raleigh's warning and add a note to beware of freezing. The front edge of this thing came through the Pacific NW on Monday night. Two days of snow and freeze in the mid-20"s. Then the bottom dropped out last night. 18F at my house this morning, not much higher now and a steady breeze blowing any residual heat away. Prep your boats for a freeze that will be deeper and last longer than we are used to.

And by the way, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'm coming along okay thanks Carl. It's really kind of like the old school flu. Who knows, it could be the flu and it fooled the covid test into showing positive. Either way I'm getting better incrementally and should be good by christmas.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Boats been out and winterized...not much more I can do now. But...did go check this morning in case I forgot something.

Rawleigh- glad to hear your symptoms are staying flu-like. Most people I talk to these days say it was between a cold n flu, with a few that say it really took the wind out of their sails for a couple of weeks. Thankfully I cannot recall the last person I heard of that had to be hospitalized because of it. Well not quite true...gent that works with me, his wife did have to go in. But I think it is because she has lots of underlying issues. She too got past it fairly quickly.

I'm thankful Covid has become mostly flu-like, but seems some people catch every new strain which seems to pop up constantly.

Sorry, back to boating...only a few more weeks till Spring.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I don't think you will see Sandy flooding. The forcast is for SE to South Winds shifting to South West Tomorrow afternoon. That might be an issue for Long Island, but along the New Jersey shore, i would say standard flooded streets in the low areas. Sandy pushed a 12 foot storm surge ashore.

Rawleigh

Get your blood oxygen level checked just to make sure. You can buy a tester for like $15.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LPOW-Pulse-O ... 3b660d676c
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

We are having Major Flooding here on Long Island. I am 2 miles from water so OK but my Mom is in Amityville and at the head of a canal (Yes where the Horror house is..) we still have incoming water for another hour so we will see...
I think we will personally be OK but I think many many houses flooded on the south shore of L.I. (Merry Christmas) Highest I have seen in it quite a few years
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
jrmoro

Post by jrmoro »

I live in Monmouth Beach ( by Sandy Hook)& have for 50 years. Our hightide this morning was 9:30 am. At 8 am we had little flooding but the last hour & half was crazy the tide came up high & fast. I had been saying the same as Tony all week we do not flood with a SE or S wind only NE. Well there is a first time for everything. This afternoon will be spent cleaning & drying out the garage ( not the worse thing).

I hope everyone on LI is safe. Merry Christmas.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jr

Monmouth Beach is a pretty low area. How ofter do you see the streets flood? I know on LBI the water comes up on a full moon and floods around the storm sewers. My weather station down in Forked River is showing me that the wind started to shift out of the west around 10AM, so the high tide should have been short lived.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jrmoro

Post by jrmoro »

Tony, we usually have flooding on a full moon or when the wind is hard NE or blows for a few days. This was certainly a different weather pattern & much higher than expected. Yes the wind switched yesterday going hard from the W. We went from flooding in the streets to a blow out tide leaving a beach where the dock is.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Must have been a really low pressure system allowing the water to rise. Had to be more than the wind. It is a royal pain when you have to clean up from water.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I hope everyone made it through the storm OK.
I am over the Covid except for a nagging cough. My wife also caught it and is on her 3rd day. She is doing Ok though.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Happy for you, not so much for your wife…

COVID may not be “bad” for many, but still appears to be extremely contagious.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rawleigh

I hope you gave your wife something other than COVID for Christmas.

I hope she recovers quickly.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yeah, that she recovers from what Rawleigh gave her, right?

Rawleigh, tell them that nobody recovers from what Rawleigh offers!! Hah hah...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Ha, I wish that were true Yannis! LOL
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

The tides were VERY high in Mystic. It came all the way up tp the bottom of the drawbridge! Thats high!!