Cutlass bearing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wgiarratana

Cutlass bearing

Post by wgiarratana »

Just pulled my props and saw that one of the cutlass bearings is more towards the edge of the strut then the other might have been that way but can it work its way down the shaft?. I checked and there’s little to no play with the shaft.Thanks for any input.
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Cutlass bearing

Post by Bruce »

There should be set screws in the side of the strut holding the cutlass in place.
Marshall Mahoney

Re: Cutlass bearing

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

One of mine moved... The cutless bearings are press fit into the strut, with set screws for extra precaution to keep them from spinning/moving. I have original struts and with years of light corrosion and sanding inbetween cutless bearing replacements so "my press fit" has turned into a light press fit at best. I now drill a small indention into the bearing thru the set screw hole and use a conical point set screw that extends into the indention. easy to drill since it is bronze. Just be careful not to damage the threads. I use Locktite thread locker as well.

If you tap yours with a hammer and it does not move, you are probably OK. Make sure your set screws are tight. If in doubt, follow my lead above.