NJ refit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wgiarratana

NJ refit

Post by wgiarratana »

Looking for a recommendation for a repower and hull paint hoping for a 1 stop shop that does Berts . Thanks in advanced .
neil

Re: NJ refit

Post by neil »

Holtzs boat works in tuckahoe nj
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Neil

A few years ago I heard some mixed things about Holtz. I keep on toying with getting the boat updated as the topside is showing it's age and the windows really need to be redone, but have been hesitant about Holtz and trying to find someone else in NJ. I know someone in NJ who does some great glass and paint work, but he is a small operation and really don't want to lay the boat up for two years.

Have you heard of anyone else in our area who might be worth checking out?

I was thinking about Raybo, and I asked Peter about him. He highly recommends him, but he is up on Long Island and I would need to run the boat up there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’m on Long Island, I would have travelled to NJ if I knew there was someone really good. Maybe it’s worth hauling her down south if you want a true one stop shop.

I don’t think there is anyone better then Raybo when it comes to glass and paint work. Coordinating with a mechanic/rigging shop, is very time consuming and adds a lot of effort. I’m using a small but detailed diesel mechanic but there are not a lot of hands there and they still have to do glass work like the shaft logs.

I’m very happy with how I’m progressing but we’ve been out of the water for over a year. The cost to haul down to a southern location may be worth considering.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I use Rybo as well--great for fiberglass & paint----but if you looking for more mechanical work --you could look at Wharton Creek or Jim's Marine Boat Repair (Jim owns a 31) in Maryland or some of the yards in the Carolinas.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Lockwood Boat works in South Amboy NJ is not inexpensive, but I have yet to hear anyone complain.

https://www.lockwoodboatworks.com/
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Where in NJ are you?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

finding a one stop shop that wont take 1+ years to complete the boat is going to be tough.
Cosmetics, wiring, repower, testing, final fit and finish- these things just consume large amounts of time and effort.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: Oct 21st, '22, 08:24 finding a one stop shop that wont take 1+ years to complete the boat is going to be tough.
Cosmetics, wiring, repower, testing, final fit and finish- these things just consume large amounts of time and effort.
At the other end of the spectrum you could do it my way, one project at a time over the course of 28 years.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

There is a nice ad in Marlin magazine for bluewateryachtyards.com
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Raybo is right. My repower took a little over a year. And that was basically a rebuild of the back end along with the engines. No Cosmetics. Purely functional work. Stringers, bulkhead, engines etc.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

I’m in Toms River did check with Holtz seemed very nice but I believe it’s a different owner then I years past
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

wgiarratana wrote: Oct 29th, '22, 15:43 I’m in Toms River did check with Holtz seemed very nice but I believe it’s a different owner then I years past
I keep my boat in Forked River. Ray Belanger is close to you, he runs a Bahi Mar. Forked River Diesel did his and my repose, as well as Jimmy G's.

Tom Oakes sold Holtz a while back.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315