Momentary Switches

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Momentary Switches

Post by SteveM »

I'm looking at buying a Cole Hersee push button ignition switch. I've read the descriptions about Momentary On and Momentary Off. I believe what they mean is when you "momentarily" push the button you turn it ON, with a Momentary-On switch. But I could see buying the wrong one. Anyone know which one we use in our boats?

I'm going to put one in my Bertram 20 Sportsman and mimic the ignition wiring layout I have in the 31. I'll have an Ignition pull switch which feeds power to the push button switch.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Momentary Switches

Post by Bruce »

Would that be operating the starter circuit? Momentary on, because when you let go it breaks the starter circuit son it doesn't stay engaged.
The ignition side of the engine would be a on/off.

Momentary switches as it applies to the 31 usually means you push or toggle a switch to power the object you want such as a horn or starter. Let go and the circuit is off.

In a motor(electric) starting world a momentary switch like say on a band saw, you push the button which operates a contactor and turns the motor on. When you let go of the switch the contactor is still energized and the motor continues to run.
You push another momentary switch and it shuts down the contactor and shuts the motor off.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

OK that's what I was thinking as well. The pull-up ignition switch opens up and allows circuit flow. Then the push button momentarily pushed turns it on and leaves it on. When I have to turn off the engines I simply depress the "pull-up" ignition switch (chrome button), I don't touch the red rubber push button. I only depress the red rubber push button when I want to turn it on. I'm guessing if I tried depressing the red rubber button while it was running it would be like turning an ignition key again and try to crank the engine while underway. I'll get the momentary-on red push button and a pull-up ignition switch. Two switches total. Thanks .
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The pull up switch powers the gauges and fuel solenoid on the engine, push button engages the starter and is momentary and closes on pushing.
Pushing the pull up down opens the fuel solenoid circuit and stops the engine.

Watch the switches they come in two ways.

Push button- closes on push and completes the circuit. The other one is push to open the circuit, that's not what you want.

Same thing on pull up. Pull up to complete or close circuit, push down to open the circuit.

Close = connection, open = no connection