NEWPORT SHOW

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

NEWPORT SHOW

Post by Craig Mac »

Soundings Mag wrote a piece on a restored 31 being displayed at the Newport Boat Show---some interesting details on the flybridge seating, windscreen and side rails.

https://www.facebook.com/SoundingsOnline/
trace elements

Re: NEWPORT SHOW

Post by trace elements »

I like the helm and transom seats. The exhaust port looks small depending on what power they went with. I have always believed the lines of the window frames contributed a lot to the looks of the boat and I do not think the windows look right. Beautiful restoration though.
Carl

Post by Carl »

When does a restoration become a customization…inquiring minds want to know.

This boat does give some new possibilities, thanks for sharing
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Carl wrote: Sep 18th, '22, 08:31 When does a restoration become a customization
That there's a Howdy Boatin' customization.
Possunt quia posse videntur
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

if you 31 plows water like that at any speed bring it back to the shop and start all over!!!! the money is in the iron so they used a Chinese knock off diesel they were better off with modern mercruiser gas engines for a day boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

There was some discussion on this boat on another site---$850K--$1 million # was mentioned --not sure if that's the resto cost or selling price.
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

I know a year or two ago, a Viking billfish could be spec'd in the 1mil neighborhood. As much as I love a 31, anything over 150k is ridiculous compared to what else you can buy.
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

I saw the boat this weekend. Bumped into Dug in the cabin- small world of 31' crazies running around out here, I tell ya...

I saw an ad in Soundings that showed a vague shot of the windows/windshield; as soon as I found out it was going to be in Newport I made plans to see it in person, as the old aluminum frames seem to be a problem that everyone with a flybridge deals with at some point.

There have been some incredible refits on these boats; this is the most comprehensive refit I've ever seen in person. Since I was specifically interested in the windshield that's all I took pictures of, but one of the niftiest features is the way they handled the head compartment. The head door is floor to ceiling glass and a window was built it the forward side of the head bulkhead providing 360 degree views from inside the boat. The builders must've read a memorable thread here where there was much discussion regarding head usage and privacy.... because they built a system into the glass where it'll fog white for privacy with the touch of a button.

The owner made certain choices that were different than what mine would be which makes them different, not wrong. I think the budget speaks to the commitment the owners felt to to the project- I think they'll enjoy this boat and it is certain to attract attention in every port of call.

Max
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Those windows are amazing.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

They are amazing. It looks like they are frameless.

How do they have them set in the boat?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Some nice touches there, but Ican't believe they left the nut fryer in front of the flybridge?
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Tony Meola wrote: Sep 19th, '22, 21:36 They are amazing. It looks like they are frameless.

How do they have them set in the boat?
I'm not sure how they're attached to the boat; they are frameless on the exterior. They built an entirely new support structure for the bridge; there's a support in the center of the windshield and then on support on either side. They looked similar to the bridge support in the new 35' Bertram.
Max
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Would love to see pics of the interior, especially showing the inside view of that unique window frame system.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Frameless windows for sure and they are direct glazed in. I did mine the same way. The front one on here is a work of art. Pro curve made this window. Same people I used for my windows. They are the best for custom glass! https://www.procurveglass.com/
Jason
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

bob lico wrote: Sep 18th, '22, 18:22 if you 31 plows water like that at any speed bring it back to the shop and start all over!!!! the money is in the iron so they used a Chinese knock off diesel they were better off with modern mercruiser gas engines for a day boat.
Bob, I agree that boat is plowing (what a great descriptor, I'll have to remember it) badly but would 300-400 extra pounds in the engine compartment do that? We can't see inside, maybe there are 3-4 beefy guys sitting in the salon.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Beautiful windows indeed.

So he probably wants to use the cabin....

Unless there’s a generator working continuously or a shore cable, there is very little possibility one can survive in a tight space like this with windows that do not open.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm guessing whoever put the flybridge helm arrangement together hasn't or doesn't plan on being in rough seas. Maybe it's just me... But the pivoting seat back, albeit it nice for picnicking or calm seas would be a balancing hazard for me. I'd grab it for security and a wave would toss me and the seat back. Without a safety rail on the back of the FB I'd surely step off at some point. No ladder at all? Just side steps. It does look pretty without the back safety rail and without the ladder. While I'm ripping it apart...LOL...I don't like the color combo at all, nor their use of the faux teak transom. Not that faux teak is bad, but it doesn't go with the color of the hull and the ultra modern appointments. It's like they wanted every aesthetic possible all jammed into one boat.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Dug

Post by Dug »

Max, it was great to see you! Terrific surprise.
Old Fashioned is a helluva restoration/customization. The fit and finish and attention to detail is on par with the best I've ever seen. I've been lucky to see more than a few. As with every single instance there are things that I think are extraordinary and things that I wouldn't choose but that's not up to me. It doesn't mean I can't respect what's been done. For me the stand out on this boat truly is the windows. They are extraordinary. The head window fogging system is downright cool. I asked if it was possible to do the cabin windows and was told it was but the price would be something that would knock my socks off. It did. I have no idea what was spent nor do I care. She's a cool boat. I will add that I had the opportunity to chat with one of the owners and they are not taking delivery until the spring. The boat was brought to the show on a trailer and does run but there are more things to be done before she's finished. One specific was adding rod holders. I wouldn't assume that there will not be some sort of enclosure but I don't know. It's more than likely that she looks low in the bow because she's very light on fuel currently. That would be my guess.
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

More photos of this boat if anyone is interested: https://cooleymarine.com/home/restorations/#
Max