New 28' Bertram

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

New 28' Bertram

Post by Carl »

For those who want a Bertram but not a restoration project.

https://www.marinemax.com/boats-for-sal ... /-/7920331
Craig Mac

Re: New 28' Bertram

Post by Craig Mac »

It looks like Bertram has lost its way again.

https://sales.bertram.com/hubfs/Asset%2 ... e=hs_email
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Craig

Not so sure about that. The current game is center console outboards. Even Viking is building them, under the Valhalla name.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I am not sure what is going on aesthetically, it has the carolina style raised bow area and a hard transition line that continues forward, there seems to be a lot going on in a small area mid-ship. That hard line near the water line on the transom seems a bit weird to me as well, I guess I like clean lines.

I personally think my 25 setup has more room but I don't care for creature comforts that I am guessing an awful lot of boaters do
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Not sure in other locations but the cost of marina slips is getting out of control here.

The original 28 and 31 are not trailer in and out practical, but the new stuff is. You take the need for a boat yard out of the picture for applying bottom paint, changing zincs etc and replace it with a clean gel coat fiberglass hull and its a significant cost savings per year.

With the advent of higher power outboards, the transition was inevitable.

Creature comforts are on the back burner to med to hard core fisherman, but to the average boater they are not. SeaRay has always been a prime example of this with carpeted everything, open floor plans, a good head and decent galley.

Gotta keep momma happy while daddy drinks himself into oblivion and waves to other HOWDY boaters while deciding if suicide will get him out of this situation.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I just think they are fugly
Carl

Post by Carl »

Whatever it takes to stay in business, for a boat builder I have to believe selling boats is important.

As mentioned Viking is selling their outboard brand...adding a new line that sells to customers who would not buy one of their traditional yachts that allows them to feel the quality so it they decide to move up in size they know what they want is a good move.
Also for the larger yacht owner that no longer wants all that boat, with all the big boat issues, places you can't go as you draw too much but loves the brand now has the option to stay with his brand and move into a smaller, easier to handle boat, that can get into places he could not before...trailer it IF wanted. Hurricane...trailer it away over haul n hope.
Viking was doing well...the CC line just broadens their line to customers they would not have had.

Who knows...I just make parts.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The market for a product is very seldom homogeneous around the globe.

Even the baby food market, that anybody would think it should be the same everywhere, as ALL human babies do have the same identical needs, may not be the same for powder milk in some parts of Africa, because the water added into the mix could be polluted and therefore the end product may be harmful. Hence, very little market for powder milk. Although the powder milk itself may be excellent.

By the same token, boaters in the Med do not give a flying damn about rod holders (where they put their brooms to dry), live fish wells (where they keep their ropes) and under the deck fish boxes (where they keep all their beverages cool).
We never fish in our boats and still we have a wonderful time cruising and living in them. Thousands, hundred of thousands of boats that NEVER occurred to us they could ever become fishing instruments.

So, if you ask me, yes! I could buy a Bertram with or without a cabin (depending whether I would use it as a simple commuter or a liveaboard), but if I could, I would ask the firm to get rid of ALL fishing related absurdities that take up space, increase the boat cost and weight.

This DOES NOT mean I care for carpets or other stupid additions either, but owning a boat that can be a comfortable mini home for my annual vacation, or a weekend, is a constant goal for all of us...a Nespresso, a wine cooler, a comfy mattress, a big fridge and freezer for drinks’ ice, these are pure necessities, nobody cares for fish as there are SO many other things to do with a boat/in a boat that are simply non existent options in other parts of the world.

You don't have islands to visit, castles on a beach, magnificent beaches where you can be alone forever, beautiful ports and marinas with restaurants, white little houses and old ladies who may offer you a drink as a welcome gesture...really so many other things that render a boat a real home in paradise.

In a vast ocean where you head out without any real destination the only thing one can do is go fishing.
Thanks, but no thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Understand Vikings move to CC's----but Bertram is a fraction of Vikings production----they are in too many market segments----should concentrate

in one and become a standout before venturing into others---pick a mission and stick to it.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Not impressed at all, the drop in hull liner with no toe kick going up the sides of the boat along with the living room in the bow. It’s a lot like so many options in the unfishable CC market.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

I like it, looks different from many other CC’s….almost the look of the old CC known as Cuddy Cabin’s. Another none all out fishing boat that can be used for fishing, hanging, beach, dock n dine, rafting, or just enjoying the water.

It’s got a nice look…

It’s not a fishing boat, it does not look to be the market this boat is after…if it is than I’d agree they fell short.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Unfortunately it is just ugly. And that top! I don't have words to describe that thing. I can only imagine what Uncle Vic would say!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Looks like there in for some tough competition
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

https://boattest.com/boats/bertram/28xc ... e=hs_email

Here is a video showing some of the features they put into this boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Chanse wrote: Sep 3rd, '22, 21:03 Looks like there in for some tough competition
MY EYES, MY EYES!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

If its all I had t work with, I'd take it and enjoy.

Besides the moment I say hideous, who would buy something like that...I wind up with something like that.

Especially Boats...

After seeing dad for years work on his Wooden boat each year prepping for each season, then later understanding fiberglass makes the prep so much less. I said:

I'd never have a wood boat.
My first boat was wood. Given in trade, an offer not to be refused... So I Stripped the painted boat to bare mahogany, sanded, sanded and sanded some more than 6 coats of varnish n looking good till I was made an offer to sell her. Still had inside and mechanicals to do,,,So BYe Bye

I'd NEVER own a Bayliner.
Well, I just got a few bucks from my wooden Chris Craft and wanted something turn key. 8 hours on a new boat, of the 8 hours my friend was the mechanic and said he put most of those on changing the oil, running once in awhile. Price was way way under blue book value. So I bought a Bayliner cuddy cabin with Volvo motor and outdrive. ANother I'd never buy item.

Penn Yann Tunnel Drive...stupidest looking boat kicking up a rooster tail at trolling speed. Wasted power, inefficient, and just plain dumb looking
I'd NEVER buy a Tunnel Drive boat.

BUT, it had a big open back to fish on, no upholstery or rug outside to be cleaned after fishing, more cabin for storage, much better open water boat and no outdrive or Volvo motor. New motor in a good hull at a number I could afford. I bought a Tunnel Drive.

31 Bertram Express in Desert sand paint- Ugliest of the 31 models...my dad's fishing buddy bought one in rough shape than painted it Desert Sand...Ugliest paint ever!

I remember going down to see that boat after being painted, Sitting on dads boat as she came round and into her slip. Dad and I just shook our heads...how fricken ugly is that boat...Who in their right mind would ever buy THAT!

Fast forward 12 years and I was calling him to buy that very same boat from him. Not my first model choice, not my first, second third, fourth etc choice in colors....But it was a Great Hull, with very good motors and it fit our purpose...fish offshore, take on vacation trips, stay overnight, entertain a bit.

So yes, I think I'll hold off on the I'd never have one of those....
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

It's a crowded market. I see nothing in that boat that differentiates it from a Sea Hunt or Tidewater or any of the other boats built for the payment book market. Why pick this one? It's not really a Bertram...they bought the hull molds from Brand X.

But, the reality of my life is my 25 spends most it's time as a howdy boat, loaded down with cocktails and snacks, and me wishing I could cruise below 20 knots. A small amount of time is spent off shore which is really fun, of course, but a rare day when I have weather, a day off, and at least one other person ready to go.

Carl's Express is probably the best Bertram for me. I would love to overnight on the boat and do some cruising on the ICW. It's got a stand up head and plenty of cockpit space. Can fish it and it fits in my 35 foot slip (slip prices went crazy during COVID...mine is worth around $130k right now, believe it or not!).

If I had the scratch, I'd keep my B25 forever and buy a 34 or 37 Back Cove for cruising and howdy boating (the single diesel versions, not the new outboard models as they are just stupid). I have a 33 down the dock from me that I bow to when I pass. Even the wife likes it.

The 39 CC is a better boat if you have an extra $1M or so...
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

CamB25 wrote: Sep 6th, '22, 11:10
If I had the scratch, I'd keep my B25 forever and buy a 34 or 37 Back Cove for cruising and howdy boating (the single diesel versions, not the new outboard models as they are just stupid). I have a 33 down the dock from me that I bow to when I pass. Even the wife likes it.

Those have similar lines to a Fortier, no? How is the build quality in comparison? We have a couple of those at my place. Nice looking boats, bud went out on one the other day and was impressed.

The Express shines fishing short-handed.
Howdy cruising with friends it's nice to be included in the conversations...most times.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Black Cove has a good reputation. So does Fortier. A friend of mine, before he passed purchased a Fortier. Gave up a 24 Topaz that he loved. Well he loved the Fortier more.

Not a speed demon, but solid and once you learn to run her down sea (she hunts a little) , you can take her anywhere.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Carl wrote: Sep 6th, '22, 15:00 Those have similar lines to a Fortier, no? How is the build quality in comparison? We have a couple of those at my place. Nice looking boats, bud went out on one the other day and was impressed.

The Express shines fishing short-handed.
Howdy cruising with friends it's nice to be included in the conversations...most times.
I've been on them at boat shows, but have never gone for a ride. Given the very high resale value for the Back Cove's I guess they are well made and good running boats. I was told by a dealer to avoid the 32. It was a short production run and he said the 32 is not the best riding hull compared to the other models.

It's kind of pipe dream at today's prices. $400k can buy a good used example of a 34.

What is the draft of the Express? The Back Coves use a prop tunnel to minimize draft with the single screw.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

The Express hull is exactly the same as all the other 31 Bertram Models...I say 3'

If you have been on a Bertram 31 FBC your know the layout of the Express.

TO drive the Express, imagine no Flybridge and the cabin roof stops at the Bulkhead.

My wheel is mounted to that bulkhead with gauge panel and throttles sitting on top of what would be the roof of cabin.

On the FBC and Sport Fish the cabin sides stop at the bulkhead, on the Express the sides extend, tapering down to the gunnel at the motor box.
Or in short, I drive standing on the motor box at the bulkhead...

Otherwise...same hull, same cabin layout as FBC, same motor, rudder etc placement...just no bridge. 3' or 36" draft.
scot

Post by scot »

I can’t get the image of the Euro-modern CC with a canoe on top out of my head. There should be some sort of posting rules concerning boat picture decency.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0