fire island rendezvous

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

fire island rendezvous

Post by bob lico »

a smal rendezvous at Kismet Fire Island tomorrowat noon we have three 31 BERTRAMS going.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Re: fire island rendezvous

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Wish we could come over but we have plans for the day.

Are Maglio and Frevola going to be there?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Sorry that I can’t get there. It’s our 51st wedding anniversary today and I am taking Francey out for a late lunch/early dinner this afternoon.

Hope that you will post pictures.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
neil

Post by neil »

Have fun bob,hope all is well with you
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

neil i am doing the best i can under the circumstances. trying to do the right thing so i will pay for all four of my grandchildrens education rather then leave it to this government.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote: Aug 22nd, '22, 08:35 trying to do the right thing so i will pay for all four of my grandchildrens education rather then leave it to this government.

Your a good man Bob...

We have the best country in spite of our government.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl prepare yourself not like when we were that age going to college my granddaughter is going to Penn State main campus at $ 54,000 a year!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

That's a good move. Don't give it to the government and go see a good Estate Attorney.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote: Aug 22nd, '22, 20:03 carl prepare yourself

Too late Bob, been there, still doing that. One graduated two years ago, the other is in her 2nd year.
Carl

Post by Carl »

pschauss wrote: Aug 21st, '22, 08:42 It’s our 51st wedding anniversary today and I am taking Francey out for a late lunch/early dinner this afternoon.

Peter,

A very Happy Anniversary to you and your wife, I wish you many more.

Carl
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Carl wrote: Aug 22nd, '22, 10:48
We have the best country in spite of our government.
Carl, I'll second that. We have a wonderful country especially when you look around the rest of the world. My younger son spent 4 years in the Middle East with the USMC. He says most Americans don't know how good we have it: the Post Office works, our power and water are reliable and you don't have to pay a bribe to anyone to have them connected. Your daughter can marry someone of a different religion and not have to worry about her brothers killing her. We need to appreciate what we have.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'm not 100% on board with the post office thing..... I use them a lot with only moderate success.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

mike ohlstein wrote: Aug 25th, '22, 14:51 I'm not 100% on board with the post office thing..... I use them a lot with only moderate success.
You should try my post office. I made new friends bringing others the mail in my box meant for them the mail man delivered to me and vice versa.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Aug 25th, '22, 19:41 You should try my post office. I made new friends bringing others the mail in my box meant for them the mail man delivered to me and vice versa.

Yeah...

A technicality had my Mail "person" combine my mail with the tenant in an unapproved mult-family home instead of in my mailbox at the end of my driveway. Problem is, the mail was not being placed in their outside mailboxs, but in a mailslot...a mail slot that went inside the house. Often my mail sat in their hallway for days; this was back in the time when important stuff came by mail...bills, checks, documents, and packages.

We spoke with the delightful mail "person" who said it's all one address and it goes in the slot.

Spoke to the Post Office manager or whatever they are called...they said 205 was one address and technically the Mail-"person" did not have to sort the 205 Upper, Lower and my 205 "Rear". Umm... 205 Upper and lower should be one, BUT we are a separate address, separate building, separate tax lot...showed our documents. He said he'd speak with the mail "Person" Nope, the Mail-person wanted nothing to do with it...into the mail slot my mail continued to go, upper, lower rear not the wording for separate address to the post office or something stupid like that.

The only way to fix this was to change the 205 "Rear" to 205 A at the building department...now you think dealing with the post office is bad, no no no....they have nothing on the building department. Multiple trips from lawyer to building department, tax department hours, days, weeks...finally got it done. 205 A it was, had to contact customers, vendors, utilities all using the 205 A with mail going into MY MAILbox now.
Shortly after the 203 & 205 house burnt down, only a 203 went back up...now I am the only 205 and have a 205 A designation to separate me from nothing.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Ah well, that's NY (and NJ) for you......
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

I thought this thread had drifted a bit off topic and was probably over and done but.... Randy and I took Amberjack over to Port Madison for three days last week for an end of the season, get the cruising bug out of our systems. It was enjoyable but I'm happy to get back to an adult size bed and our own shower. Next week AJ moves into the lake to try the fall Lake Washington Coho run. More on that later.

Anyway, since we were going to be gone for three days I did the normal and put a temporary hold on the newspaper. We got back Saturday and just settled in when I saw a notification that the running shoes that were tracking to be delivered late Saturday had been delivered early, about an hour before we got home. So I went back out and looked all over the front behind bushes, around the corner, and no shoes. Crap, a porch thief must have grabbed them. "Look out in back" said Randy, the mailman usually knocks when he has packages and if I don't answer he puts packages behind the house. Sure enough, sitting on the woodpile behind the car were my runners delivered the last mile by USPS along with two newspapers delivered despite the hold! Shout out for the local postal service!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

To be fair, 99.9% of my mail comes and goes as it should these days, maybe even more. Being a service used daily I tend to only remember the bad experiences.

A couple of weeks ago we had to Mail out Money orders...so paid the $2.2 for each of the three, then paid for their upgraded mail...several weeks later the money orders never showed. It wasn't being sent around the world, not even across the country.

Trip to the Post Office and they say order has not been cashed, look somewhat concerned and then ask how they were sent. Post Office, here's the receipt. Oh, give it some more time to get there. Ok, but the Bill still needs to be paid. Can we stop Payment and send a new Money Order. Well sure, it's $13.90 to process the request and may take up to 30 days, most likely up to 60.

So we wait another week, no show, so we pay for the three Process / Investigations @13.90 each and wait. A week later, almost 5 weeks from the time we mailed the Orders were received and cashed.

Some dates, times, and amounts may have been altered to deal with a faulty memory. But that is the basis gist.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Amberjack wrote: Sep 5th, '22, 14:20 Next week AJ moves into the lake to try the fall Lake Washington Coho run. More on that later.
I was walking down the dock at SYC last fall and talked with someone carrying 4 nice Coho salmon, probably 6-8 lbs each. When asked about them he said they came from Lake Washington just around the corner, maybe 4 miles away. Its a not well known fishery that targets Coho salmon as they collect in the lake before heading up the rivers to spawn. I decided to give it a try this year.

We moved into the lake from salt water early this year, Sept 15 to be on the lake Sept 16, the first day of the opening. Made sense to me to get out there on Friday before the weekenders showed up en masse on that Saturday.

Its a different way to fish, on the lake, maybe 300 feet from shore (Hunts Point where McKenzie Scott (Bezos), Steve Balmer, Bill Gates and other Seattle billionaires live) and in a small crowd of 20-25 foot boats.

Amberjack is not built for low speed trolling in a crowd. It has trolling valves but with them you lose the ability to reverse or kick in and out of gear and its hard to get much below 3 knots. We tried trolling on one engine but the breeze was picking up which made it hard to steer. Result, AJ was veering around in the crowd like a blindfolded bull.

In the end we didn't see any fish at all and saw no one catching any. The salmon hang out in salt water feeding until fall rains create river flow so they know its time to head upstream to spawn. It hasn't rained in the Puget Sound area since the end of June so the rivers are extremely low and he fish haven't made the move into fresh water. The Corps of Engineers has issued alerts about the lower then usual lake level.

I do a 2.5 mile circuit around the neighborhood every day and look to see if anyone is out on the fish. Most years I see 10-20 boats out every day so far this year none. This morning the smoke was so thick I couldn't see the other side, 3 miles away.

INext year I'll know enough to watch the fall weather. If it stays dry, hang out in salt water, if it's normal wet and miserable then head in to fish the lake.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820