Flying bridge seating options

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Flying bridge seating options

Post by pschauss »

My boat has a bench seat on the flying bridge which, I suspect, is original. It leans back so far that I have to sit on the front edge of the bottom cushion when I drive. Any suggestions how I can modify the mounting of the original seat to give it a better angle? Alternately, can you suggest a replacement seat or seats?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Rawleigh

Re: Flying bridge seating options

Post by Rawleigh »

I thought mine was just mounted on two pieces of aluminum angle. Couldn't you change the attitude of the angle mounting to correct the seat lean? You might have to drop the headliner to get to the nuts though. How about a wedge?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Rawleigh-I probably have the same seats. Mine have worn some but the structural metal parts don't look as though they would either wear enough or bend to affect seat back angle. Take a look at the wood underside and back to be sure they haven't deteriorated and make sure the fasteners holding the metal hinges to them are tight.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My seat runs all of the way across the bridge and is secured to angle irons bolted to the sides. There is a post in the middle to keep it from sagging. It looks like I could change the pitch by simply repositioning the angle irons. I am thinking, however, about leaving the angle irons where they are and making the pitch of the seat adjustable by using longer bolts, extra nuts, and washers to hold the seat to the angle irons.

I will post pictures when I have something that works.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

There a number of threads with different seat designs if you do a search. In considering what you are, raising the bench to a good height makes it much harder to step over which I think could be a problem. I went with two seats and some room to walk through as did Bob Lico. It wasn’t expensive. I’m considering changing the seats as I’m re-laying out my bridge. Maybe you’d want mine?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
John F.

Post by John F. »

I have two seats on pedestals. They're higher than the factory bench, and I find them more comfortable.

Peter

If you decide to change your seating layout and pschaus isn't interested, let me know what you have. Crows Nest is due for a seat upgrade

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Aug 9th, '22, 12:22 There a number of threads with different seat designs if you do a search. In considering what you are, raising the bench to a good height makes it much harder to step over which I think could be a problem. I went with two seats and some room to walk through as did Bob Lico. It wasn’t expensive. I’m considering changing the seats as I’m re-laying out my bridge. Maybe you’d want mine?
Peter,

I am interested in your old seats. I have sent a PM with my contact information.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I have the original bench seat on my boat. It sits pretty level. I found the height to be low, so I use a 6 inch foam cushion to give me more heiight.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The only regret I have with my seating, having done it ten years ago was that I wish I had pushed the seats forward a bit and bought chairs with flip up bolsters.

The only real question is if I reuse the base or not. Peter, they are yours either just have to decide that detail.

For the record, a lot of options are great and have their benefits and drawbacks. I like how Dug has a double wide centered. Buddy boy had an update bench which was comfy for cruising. And I really like my set up that is really comfortable when rocking and rolling with room for a passenger. They’re all valid.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Over the years I have bought 2 replacement seats from Pompenette---the original design with a plywood base----which eventually rotted.
I then purchased a second seat from Pompenete that was constructed of starboard with removable cushions----the starboard base is like
a wet noodle---and you have to get creative to support the middle---but it won't rot.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

We had a storage box made for tackle, and have it under the seat. Eliminated the middle leg, with the box supporting the seat. Box has lasted over 40 years, but is starting to show its age. Worked perfectly as someone can stand on the engine box and reach, lures, hooks, etc.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

My solution was a Taco leaning post from Defender (I think this onehttps://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... id=2329768 ) and then had a local cut the legs down just above where the foot rest hinge attached.
I like this solution very much. My 6 man raft will fit along side (pic below) or under the seat. For reference that's my (then) 7 yr old daughter Ellie running the show and looking for Whales north of Cape Cod.

Possunt quia posse videntur
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Page 4 of a late brochure shows a sportfish model with a storage box under the seat.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1891711802

The original brochure--orange boat shows a factory configuration with a fiberglass seat mount----I remember having seen a boat of early vintage

and think this could have been a water tank?

https://boatbrochure.com/products/bertram-31-brochure
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I know this floating around, for anyone looking for a more modern take on the 3 seat bench.

https://www.nauticaldesigninc.com/image ... _0267.html
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Stephan-What brand are your rod holders?

Stephan wrote: Aug 11th, '22, 09:53
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Amberjack wrote: Aug 12th, '22, 13:27 Stephan-What brand are your rod holders?
The flybridge railing work was done before I bought the boat. I believe they are Taco weld on style with a coped blade mount for single rail mounting.
https://www.tackledirect.com/taco-flare ... ID=3624890
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Aug 12th, '22, 05:33 I know this floating around, for anyone looking for a more modern take on the 3 seat bench.

https://www.nauticaldesigninc.com/image ... _0267.html
Peter

Nice link. Someone to keep in mind for making storage or tackle lockers.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Stephan wrote: Aug 11th, '22, 09:53 My solution was a Taco leaning post from Defender (I think this onehttps://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... id=2329768 ) and then had a local cut the legs down just above where the foot rest hinge attached.
I like this solution very much. My 6 man raft will fit along side (pic below) or under the seat. For reference that's my (then) 7 yr old daughter Ellie running the show and looking for Whales north of Cape Cod.

Stephen = do you have a height of what you cut the leaning post down to? Is there an ideal height for the helm? I currently have one captain's chair that's way too high - want to trade it out for a leaning post / combo like @stephan has - but I have someone local that builds these from scratch
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I had measured my seats to the height of a normal dining room or desk chair since I don’t have an alternative foot rest. For me that feels much better then your feet dangling. If you are going to install a foot rest you can go higher. I may do that on my new double wide seat with flip up bolster.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I am considering this one from Defender - But I'd still have to mount it

But there is also a guy locally that will make me a custom leaning post for two - similar money - but I'd need to get the height right
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I don't have the measurement but will get if for you this weekend.
Best,
Stephan
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I would appreciate that very much - Big chair is on there now - that's way to high

Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I've been struggling with this issue for 2 two weeks. I was planning on going with three Pompenette Evolution chairs on pedestals. Remember I widened my flybridge. I have just over 79" clear from side to side. Its just not quite enough room to get 3 pedestal seats up there comfortably.

I'm considering a box with two swivel seats but I'm very interested in others ideas.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’m going with a double wide seat, centered, with flip up bolster and flip up arms.

https://www.westmarine.com/taco-marine- ... 09260.html

My thinking is it allow me or a passenger to enter and exit on either side of the bridge, stand or sit comfortably when I’m the only one up there. It allows me to sit side by side with a copilot on long trips and hopefully flip up the arms and squeeze both kids on either side of me at least until they grow to big. I’m also going with a metal frame underneath it, I can slide my ditch bag or life raft under it, a bag of warm clothes or a cooler. Depending on what we are doing.

I think this is going to work for me.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Is that going to give you enough room for two adults? You have to center one side on the helm, so not sure you will be able to walk around both sides to enter and exit.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mine is 160 cm so you can almost take a nap on it.
It has a backward sloping seat cushion which is very comfortable and you can only get in and out from one side.
Three can sit in full comfort, only the captain is not centered 100%, but since there are no pedals this slight deviation from the center doesn't seem to be a problem.

https://imgur.com/ESC6NpL
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony Meola wrote: Nov 17th, '22, 21:22 Peter

Is that going to give you enough room for two adults? You have to center one side on the helm, so not sure you will be able to walk around both sides to enter and exit.
The seat will be centered on the wheel, so there is enough room from either side, similar to Dugs set up. Two adults sitting side by side I will be sitting offset but close enough to have a hand on the wheel. Running around the bay or moving the boat for another drift I’m up there solo. For longer ocean runs I’ll be using the auto pilot so sitting offset from the wheel shouldn’t be a big deal.

Also the legs of the base will be set in from the edge of the seat, giving you more foot space to get around. A box the full width of the seat would make it very tight.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Pete I was looking at that seat as well. It is a pricey little bugger I was going to call the port supply rep and get my pricing as well as check availability since it is a supply by vendor item some times it is hard to get. If I go with it I will have a friend make me a custom base.
Jason
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

JeremyD wrote: Nov 15th, '22, 10:21 Stephen = do you have a height of what you cut the leaning post down to? Is there an ideal height for the helm? I currently have one captain's chair that's way too high - want to trade it out for a leaning post / combo like @stephan has - but I have someone local that builds these from scratch
The top of the seat cushion (firm) is 24 inches above the deck.
Best,
Stephan
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Stephan wrote: Nov 20th, '22, 09:53 The top of the seat cushion (firm) is 24 inches above the deck.
Best,
Stephan
Thanks Stephen - appreciate it very much
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Snipe wrote: Nov 19th, '22, 09:34 Pete I was looking at that seat as well. It is a pricey little bugger I was going to call the port supply rep and get my pricing as well as check availability since it is a supply by vendor item some times it is hard to get. If I go with it I will have a friend make me a custom base.
Turns out I can reuse the base I previously had made. The guys doing the engines used his PS account, I forget how much it is but it’s a great seat. After you make a few calls about a teak helm chair your perspective on what expensive is changes.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

The Pompanette Evolution on a pedestal is roughly 3K.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

If you go to the fourth picture in this brochure from Craig Mac's earlier post (link below) and enlarge it, the 31 sportfish model in the bottom right corner appears to have a storage box or ice chest with 3 seats on top of it. The 3 seats seem to possibly have reversible seat backs, so that each passenger on the flybridge can independently face either forward or backward. Am I seeing that right--was this a common layout from the factory? I've never personally seen this layout, but it seems like it would be a cool way to set up the flybridge seating.

I have 3 seats on my flybridge, but they all face forward. I personally like having 3 seats up top--we routinely have 3 people up top while running. The seat back on my flybridge seats fold forward so that its easy to step over the bench to get into the seat.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1891711802

JR
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

I have the same set up as you, except when the Boat was about a year old, my father had a tackle locker made for the bridge. We removed the middle leg and the box fits right under the seat and supports it. We removed the bottom bolts from the seat and put in a longer bolt and pass them up through the box so the seat is bolted to the box.

Unfortunately after 42 years the box is showing its age. I am now in the hunt for a new box, unfortunately I will never get this one for the price my father paid for it. One of his customers who was a cabinet maker, built it in exchange for my father to tune up his truck.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony Meola wrote: Nov 28th, '22, 22:53 Jack

I have the same set up as you, except when the Boat was about a year old, my father had a tackle locker made for the bridge. We removed the middle leg and the box fits right under the seat and supports it. We removed the bottom bolts from the seat and put in a longer bolt and pass them up through the box so the seat is bolted to the box.

Unfortunately after 42 years the box is showing its age. I am now in the hunt for a new box, unfortunately I will never get this one for the price my father paid for it. One of his customers who was a cabinet maker, built it in exchange for my father to tune up his truck.
http://nauticaldesigninc.com/imagesNov2 ... _0267.html
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Here are some pics of a 31 in Spanish Wells, Bahamas of the Flybridge seats. It was custom made with a bench seat in the front and two seats in the back. Plenty of storage underneath.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

That is a nice option. It would have to be bolted to the floor which is easy, with some reinforcing. Question would be what the length should be. I believe we have about 50 inches to play with.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony Meola wrote: Nov 30th, '22, 22:01 Peter

That is a nice option. It would have to be bolted to the floor which is easy, with some reinforcing. Question would be what the length should be. I believe we have about 50 inches to play with.
That was custom made for a 31 so I’m sure they have the dimensions.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Did you install it already or are you waiting for them to finish the boat up? Just wondering how it is getting in and out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony Meola wrote: Dec 1st, '22, 21:53 Peter

Did you install it already or are you waiting for them to finish the boat up? Just wondering how it is getting in and out.
Tony. I’m putting in a different seat, this wasn’t done for my boat. It’s been up on their site for at least a few years. I bet if you called them they’d have some installation photos.

I’m going with a double wide bench seat centered, it will probably be the last thing done on the boat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I will take a look.

Thanks for the heads up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Pete said, I have a bench on the bridge that I had made by a great aluminum guy years ago. He is deceased now, but, I am sure it could be replicated by a talented pipe guy. It sits in the middle of the bridge on a small storage box. Its wide enough for three but not wide people, When Marly was alive she was the bench owner and would lie across it, leaving little room for me which was fine. I would like it to be able to slide closer or further away from the wheel, and shock absorbers would be nice. But it is what it is and I’m not going to change it at this point.

I will say that comfort at the helm is important. You spend a lot of time there so make it comfortable. I would be happy to send pics to anyone interested.

Dug
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

I remember seeing your boat up at the last Long Island get together but the seating escapes me. Post up a picture if you get a chance.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Tony,

The tackle locker under the helm bench on your boat sounds like a great idea. What kind of material is the locker made out of? Would it be possible to repaint the locker to bring it back to life so you don't have to replace it?

JR
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

Believe it or not it is made of Marine plywood that has a white formica coating. It held up since around 1976 or 77. But unfortunately, the feet are now on their way out and the formica is delaminating and it is showing its age.

It worked perfect for what was available back then. Especially since the cost was more than right. The cabinet maker traded my father the box for work on his car. It had two sliding doors on it, with draws. But the drawers are not on slides. They actually fit into its individual cubby hole and there is a lip so the drawer can not slide out. It worked great, need something, stand on the engine box's, slide open the side you need and lift and pull out the drawer. Set it down on the bridge, get what you need and put it back in.

We had one side with smaller drawers to handle hooks, bait rigging equipment, snaps, swivels etc. The other side the drawers are deeper and handle spoons, plugs, offshore lures etc.

But unfortunately it is time to rethink the box and find one that works. It will serve me for a few more years if I need it too, but would like to upgrade it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315