Shady mechanic broke my shaft seal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

romeomikehotel

Shady mechanic broke my shaft seal

Post by romeomikehotel »

Without getting into a ton of detail I had a mechanic that turned out to not really know anything work on my b28 to remove & replace the bad starboard transmission. In the process of putting the new one in he dropped it on the shaft seal and cracked it.

I’ve since fired him, and lost a good bit of money doing it but now me and my new mechanic are struggling to track down a new shaft seal. We’re in Fort Lauderdale so plenty of marine parts distributors to choose from but it appears a shaft seal for a ‘79 b28 is hard to come by.

Anybody care to point me in a direction? I’d really like to get back on the water and this is a big hold up.

Thanks for any help,
RMH
scenarioL113

Re: Shady mechanic broke my shaft seal

Post by scenarioL113 »

can you be more specific on the "shaft seal"???

You mean "stuffing box""

What size shafts do you have? 1-1/8? or 1-1/4?
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Frank

He could also mean the shaft log. Stuffing box can be purchased through Buck. Shaft log is another story, but Buck should also have something that would work.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Take a picture of the seal you are talking about.

I’m thinking the ceramic seal on the PYI seals. The older ones were pretty brittle as were some other brands. Parts can be bought …just need to know which. Prop shop, marine machine shop may have
romeomikehotel

Post by romeomikehotel »

Sorry for not being specific enough, I only saw the part once when it was out of the boat. I believe it would be called the stuffing box? It’s two pieces of plastic that screw into each other with the wax rope or whatever inside. You tighten it down to get the 3 drops per minute or whatever the number is.

The part that broke look like both sides (me and female) were made of a white plastic.

I saw dripless shaft deals online but don’t want to mess with running coolant lines back there if possible.

I believe the shaft size is 1 1/8”

Could I use something like this:
https://www.myinboardmarine.com/product ... 4QQAvD_BwE
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

https://www.ojprops.com/products/flex-gland/

Looks like it would work. Seems like it is a farily new system. I would check on the track record to date and how it has been tested. Did not see much about it on their website.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have run PYI for 20 years and like them. You can easily tap into your cooling tank to run the coolant line. It is pretty easy. I like a dry bilge.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
romeomikehotel

Post by romeomikehotel »

Here’s the starboard with with seal missing and the port side with what was originally on both sides.

https://imgur.com/a/3ExKumd
Carl

Post by Carl »

I am thinking you may want to thank your mechanic, that gland looks like a homemade job.

Plastics for use under the water line in boats, like Marelon, do not deteriorate as other plastics do in the elements and heat. They are not prone to cracking and in general, do not look like what is shown in that picture. I could be wrong...but I've never seen a packing gland like that in a boat. That almost looks like polypropylene. Also its lacking a locking nut.

Again...I've only dealt in my world and may have missed things. If I didn't see it for myself I'd have never believed a boat builder would make a shaft log from 304SS sheet metal and tubing with a welded joint. Silverton did that for a few years. It worked well for a bunch of years then they all started to leak as they corroded away springing leaks. Unrepairable, but we fabricated a bunch of new ones. Crappy design only meant to last a few years...
romeomikehotel

Post by romeomikehotel »

Alright good to know I should probably replace the other one. I ordered one of the OJ Prop flex glands this morning so I guess we’ll find out in a few days if they’re any good.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Those plastic glands were common on Tiarra boats behind Crusader engines. As they aged, plastic threads would freeze up.

Go with the standard bronze packing glands.
You'll need hose id and shaft diameter.
Lewis Marine in Lauderdale would have them.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote: Jun 29th, '22, 09:13 Those plastic glands were common on Tiarra boats behind Crusader engines. As they aged, plastic threads would freeze up.

Wow..I've never seen those. Not a great material choice in my opinion.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you decide to not use the OJ system and still want dripless, I would look at the PYI and the Tides system. I have the Tides and I have to say it is a nice system.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315