Engine Boxes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Engine Boxes

Post by Ironworker »

I've got an acquaintance who is building new engine boxes for his boat. He is glassing both boxes along with the steps together and they will be raised hydraulically. This is the method that Bertram is using on their new 35' boats.

I may use my old boxes but am considering something similar. Thoughts

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Re: Engine Boxes

Post by Yannis »

You cannot get in and out of the cabin if you raise the whole thing.
Before you say you don't mind, a forgotten screwdriver or a fuse may remind you this discussion!!
Also a glass of water...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Rick,
From a service stand point that configuration sucks for access to engines. The shear size and weight makes it impractical to remove unless you have a crane.

Carl

Post by Carl »

I'd do that IF only one side raised AND I had the option of quick pulls to remove boxes if I wanted to.

Similar to what Bruce said, access looks great till you start working on the motors and cannot get here or there. Then like Yannis said...whatever tools you take out of the cabin are not going to be the right ones. So its climb around or lower the deck.

My other issue not related to our boats, but a friend has one of these things, we had an issue and needed to raise the deck. Everyone is sitting right there, all their "stuff" is there so everything gets tossed in cabin, the people scatter, the deck goes up, I climb in and need a wrench. No open hatch up front so we lower the deck with me inside so someone can grab the wrench...of course, all the Stuff is now tossed on top of seats with tools under.
Being stuck in motor compartment isn't fun around hot motors, and rocking away...then comes if something happened I'm stuck under a hydraulic deck. Whatever...I prefer rip them off deck hatches to gain access...not as cool looking, but I like to access motors when running to do some checks, access if something is wrong.

My .02

But if they could be opened hydraulically independent with the open center passage and removed if needed...Yeah, I'd do that.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Thanks guys. I'd pretty much had many of the same thoughts but the fact that Bertram incorporated it on their new 35 had me wondering what they knew that I didn't.

I am planning on building a curb to hinge my boxes on in an effort to keep as much water out as possible. If anyone has any good photos of their curbs, I'd loved to see them. I'm also planning a hydraulic assist pistons.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think Bertram followed the potential customers who go Wow, that's cool when they see that deck raise up with the touch of a button.

Its the guys who get to go in there that see something different after the cool wears off. Yes, I think the decks are cool, just not always done to be practical.
It may also have something to do with only having to make one large mold instead of designing multiples that allow access. The last part is just a guess.
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

I had my boxes redone last year when we re-did the cockpit of our Bahia Mar - no bulkhead so a little different set up. But I'll be over at the boat later and will snap a few shots in case it might be useful. I had them designed to hinge open as originally built or pull the pins and the entire box be easily removed completely.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Follow the KISS principle. Don't over-complicate simplicity! Engine access is too vital to depend on an electrical circuit to gain access! Build lighter boxes if that is what you need.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

that actually looks like terrible access
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I think the advantage of one single piece is sound isolation is better. Given the option I like the original 31 version.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I like the one piece design of the B35. It's probably more effective at keeping water and debris out. Instead of the hinged access, I would try to develop a "lift and slide" mechanism. Lift high enough to clear the deck with the step down, slide the whole assembly back into the cockpit area. Some sort of extension slide like a drawer slide. Might be able to do this with a parallelogram mechanism as well, with a vertical assist from gas springs.

Bertram has the seals in the right places. Looks great!

Be creative! Custom should be custom! Go for it!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

CamB25 wrote: Jun 7th, '22, 09:07 Bertram has the seals in the right places. Looks great!
It looks fantastic, very impressive looking....at first sight. Maybe I'm wrong, but how do you check the fluids, belt, and impellor. Actually anything towards the front or outer sides of the motors. Injection pump...generator. All is well and good when bright, shiny and new, but what about after the warranty runs out. Even the elbows are tucked under the molded steps.

I went to lots of trouble in cutting my stringers down to leave open space to get in, around, and under my motors. My one issue remains, my boxes are shells with top access hatches. Immediate access to the top end and sorta sides. The box shells need to be lifted up and over the deck for complete access AFTER unbolting chairs that sit on the engine box and secured to the bulkhead for support.

CamB25 wrote: Jun 7th, '22, 09:07 Instead of the hinged access, I would try to develop a "lift and slide" mechanism. Lift high enough to clear the deck with the step-down, and slide the whole assembly back into the cockpit area. Some sort of extension slide like a drawer slide. Might be able to do this with a parallelogram mechanism as well, with a vertical assist from gas springs.
Cam, I've thought of doing this for years. I just get stuck on how much work am I willing to spend on saving myself the work of manually removing the boxes. That and the pivots get in the way of the clean open area I desire.

What has worked is pulleys from box to my tower and lift straight-ish up and secure. I did that when redoing the fuel tank and changing trannies. I had no place to put the boxes, with no deck to store them. I was packed in behind boats in winter storage so removing from the boat was not an option, up was the answer.

That or rebuild boxes from lightweight material in a different design with rollers under. Then, just a matter of fixing a track in the motor compartment with locks to secure in place.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Have I mentioned that I love my outboard! :-D
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

For being able to serve its purpose, (which is gain access to the engines) i would say the hinge is on the wrong end. Like the old corvettes, not fun for service. If the whole thing opened from the other side....
1 same access as original
2 dump the girls and their stuff in the cockpit like a dump truck
3 still have access to your tools and beer
May be hard to escape if you were on the other side and needed to for some reason.
For me, i like to have easy, fast, manual, access, with plenty of room to see and work, and if needed, i can remove the whole hatch, by myself, without a crane.
If i bought the new 35, id be trying to figure out how to make the hatches open like the original. You could still have it open from the rear, but wouldn't loose the front access.
Todd