68 B25 FBSF rudder shelf and steering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Fishy Guy

68 B25 FBSF rudder shelf and steering

Post by Fishy Guy »

Hoping I can get some assistance from this helpful crew. I picked up a project that had rotten rudder shelves pulled when the owner decided to move South. I need to fabricate rudder shelves and convert from mechanical to hydraulic steering (most of the new steering components came with the project). The lower helm has been removed but I would at least like the option to reinstall at a later date if I so choose. The tricky part is configuring where everything should go as space is tight at the transom in the B25 relative to the B28 and bigger.

I'm trying to figure out where to place the ram. The tillers are configured to be below the rudder shelf and this means mounting the ram under the shelf, making inspection/service a bear assuming there's enough room to place the ram there without it hitting the outboard stringer when the ram is fully retracted. There isn't enough room on top of the shelf to mount the ram due and still clear the muffler unless I relocate one of the battery trays.

Having not even started the vintage 1977 motors yet, I'm reluctant to get into a major project with the steering before even getting her running but I'm able and willing if someone can convince me it's worth it.

Has anyone done a hydraulic conversion on a B25 or know anyone who has?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Cheers

Related -
Tony Meola

Re: 68 B25 FBSF rudder shelf and steering

Post by Tony Meola »

Welcome to the site.

Hopefully someone like Cam or one of the others who have done a 25 over will see this and jump in and help you out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I assume you have a 25 with the mid mounted chrysler 318 motors running V-drives?

I can get you pictures of the set up on my B25 tomorrow if that would be helpful
Fishy Guy

Post by Fishy Guy »

Hey Rocket,

That's my setup. Twin IB 318 Chryslers although I think the drives are paragon. Haven't torn into too much yet. Any help at any time is greatly appreciated. I did get the below pics from the former owner who was in the middle of making the change. I like this setup as it leaves the battery tray in place and make the ram and the hydraulic lines accessible. I also like being able to unbolt and remove the shelves for whatever reason.

Cheers,
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Today I forgot to go by the yard where the boat is stored, I need to go there tomorrow, I can get some good pictures of the area as there are no motors in the boat!!
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

That's my old boat. I was going to put a shelf (by shelf I mean a mounting block attached to the stringer) just behind the rudder shelf and low enough to connect to the tie bar. I saw a pic on here from Keith Poe that showed how he connected the ram to the tie bar on his 31. Basically weld a fixture to the tie bar that will mate with the ram. You can use a clamp to the tie bar to get the dimensions right before welding.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Fishy Guy

Post by Fishy Guy »

Yep! And thank you Joe for emailing the pictures. I couldn't get them posted up here but will if I can figure it out.

And thank you Rocket but I think the setup Joe sent me is what I'm going to do so no need to trouble yourself going to the yard. I'm off to the metal market to pick up some aluminum plate and I've ordered the tie rod end for the ram.

Cheers