Where can get bertram tiller arm, swivel sockets parts.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

renegademike

Where can get bertram tiller arm, swivel sockets parts.

Post by renegademike »

I did a 31B rebuild way back in 2005 and bought allot of Bertram31.com parts from Pat and received allot of great advice on this board. Is this site still selling Rudder parts? I have the same tiller arm and socket that is pictured in the parts section. Doing a complete refit on the 31B and was looking for the parts in the swivel socket but will buy whole socket if need be. Any advise would be appreciated.
FV sweetspot

Re: Where can get bertram tiller arm, swivel sockets parts.

Post by FV sweetspot »

I just ordered tiller arms from Danny at High Tide Marine. I ordered swivel sockets from deep blue yacht supply. hope that helps.
You dont know until you go.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

if you want to soar with the eagles instead of walking with the turkeys listen up. study the tiller arms you will notice two 1/2" diameter holes bored in the end of the tiller arm. you will use the furthest hole . purchase two stainless steel 1/2" RH AND LH hind joints .then a 1 1/4" solid SS bar stock the learnt would be the distance from port tiller arm to starboard tiller arm with rudder in neutral position. simply put a 1/2" SS bolt thru the tiller arm into the hind joint with spacer in between and double nut on top. a machine shop will give you one1/2" RH internal thread and one LH at the opposite end of the bar stock. use bar stock (drag link) by turning CW or counter clockwise for final desired toe in of rudders. boat with be able to do port or starboard 90 degree turns at WOT. incredible race car feeling at the helm.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Stainless internally threaded Heim joints.

https://www.mcmaster.com/ball-joints/in ... -rod-ends/
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you Rawleigh did not know they had such a great assortment of SS helm joints. i use 1/2" ----20 male thread because it is far easier to make a internal thread in the drag link then make a male 1/2" thread. this Helm ball bearing joint with damm near zero slack in the joint together with HY-DRIVE hydraulic steering gives you race car type of steering. boat drives like a BMW .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

And no having to adjust it like the old joints!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31