Hoses: risers to elbows

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Hoses: risers to elbows

Post by pschauss »

I am going to be replacing my risers this winter after four seasons with the ones on the engines now. I have what I believe they call zero degree risers (Barr part # 20-72963) with the output pointing straight aft. There is a 6" to 8" length of exhaust hose running from each riser to a 90 degree elbow. When I replace these hose segments should I used should I use reinforced or unreinforced exhaust hose?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
scenarioL113

Re: Hoses: risers to elbows

Post by scenarioL113 »

I think the hose should be marked "marine exhaust hose". That should be good. I am not sure if that is "reinforced" or not. Moreland hose in Oakdale or Hempstead should carry that.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If your hose is straight you can use the non wire or unreinforced as it's called. It is reinforced actually with nylon woven in the layers, just no wire.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I try to think of it this way...the wire makes the hose kink resistant and prevents hose from collapsing from suction.

So if you have tight bends or pulling suction, look for hose with wire.

Long unsupported straight runs where the weight of the hose and what is being pumped will be heavy causing hose to sag and possibly kink...go with wired hose.

Straight runs and pumping with "some" pressure wire is not needed, although wired hose could still be used. It's usually just a bit more money and a bit harder to work with.