repower with diesels

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ed c.

repower with diesels

Post by ed c. »

With the 315 hp yanmar diesel no longer available for initial installation, what is the next best option. My friend has a creampuff 31 and he wants to get rid of the gassers.
scenarioL113

Re: repower with diesels

Post by scenarioL113 »

Does he want brand new diesels?

Is he willing to get RTOs (Running Take Outs)?

conversion is a big job and he will need transmissions in addition to the engines. Shafts, Struts, Props need replacing as well. Fuel tank replaced or converted, depending on what he is got.

By all means do not that deter anyone, the B31 is a great platform for diesel power and if you have some mechanical ability and are not afraid to take on a huge project, I say go for it.

It is a huge project but many here have done it. If you gotta pay a guy for every aspect of the job then the costs can skyrocket
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

he has deep pockets. what about the 8 cyl.. yanmars.
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

he knows a lot about the 31. this is his 3rd one. it has been sitting in his pole barn for quite a while.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I dont know enough about any modern electronic diesels. Cummins or Yanmar.

But I will tell you from first hand experience that I do not like electronic modern diesel engines. When we started upgrading our fleet in the FDNY to the newest diesel technology I personally saw more breakdowns and seen rigs towed away like NEVER before. The trucks in the FDNY are run hard but like I said we never had rigs towed away that were only in service for months. Our mechanics dont like them either. Too much electronics... but no choice

I know that does not help you or your friend but I would look for some Cummins remans or keep a look out for similar Yanmars...

Caterpillar got away from making engines for 18 wheelers etc because the EPA restrictions caused their motors to become too complicated and expensive to maintain and repair. They only do construction type equipment now and things like that.

Personally I would only go with mechanical diesels. I am sure some will disagree but the reliability is more piece of mind in my opinion

If your buddy has deep pockets then I would look for a pair of cummins 370's and have them professionally completely redone soup to nuts and same would go for a pair of 315's
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ed

While I like the simplicity of mechanical engines the electronic marine diesels have been around for a while and seem to have proven reliable. With that being said, if the dam thing doesn't start be prepared to call the diesel mechanic.

A lot of us like Cummins, since most parts are available at most diesel truck dealers.

Yanmar is still out there, not sure what they are offering, but I am sure if you look at their website you will see what options are ava I'm able.

Volvo is also an option to consider. The main issue I have with yanmar and Volvo are the price of parts.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Tony, my son now owns my boat, it has 2800 hours on 315 yanmars. They are a great engine, as long as you do the correct maintence. I did install a fresh water flush system with assist from Tony Athens. My friend is going to be looking @ the 8 cyl. yanmars and probably the 330 cummins.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ed

I looked at the Yanmars when I repowered. What changed my mind was the $10,000 price tag difference, as well as local service at the time. That is not an issue now since the Shop that did mine is now also a Yanmar, Cummins and Volvo dealer, as well as a recent certification from CAT.

At one point there was one Yanmar shop in Forked River and when I repowered Mack Boring did not tell me, but strongly hinted to me to take the boat North to look at another option. Instead I just let $10,000 make my decision.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

I have heard about the Forked River operation. i had the yanmars installed by Tim Silveo of Down Jersey Marine in Greenwich, NJ.. He did a terrific job and I do recommend him.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you ever need someone more local, since I see you are in Wildwood, then I would check out Forked River Diesel up in Waretown. He did my repower, or Shore Diesel. Randy at Shore Diesel, used to work at Forked River Diesel and actual was the mechanic that did the work on my engines when he worked there. Then he went over to JC Yachts and now he is on his own.

Either shop does great work.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

I heard about that guy. He is going to look into it.
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

tony I second randy
we have worked on a few projects here at my shop he's a good dude