off shore - 1st time in a few decades!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CamB25

off shore - 1st time in a few decades!

Post by CamB25 »

Saturday was the first off shore trip for BluBert under my ownership. All went really well! Boat seems happy out there. 3 foot rollers, so not a huge test of sea worthiness, but I could run very comfortably at 30 mph with the seas, and 25 mph against. 2.5 - 3.0 mpg. Soft riding boat.

My friend caught the first fish on this incarnation of the boat. It's a Bahama Blue Bertram named BluBert, so, you guessed it, he landed a bluefish! I made a small contribution...we caught alot of bait, Saturday!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/77 ... 697ZtFrumk
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Re: off shore - 1st time in a few decades!

Post by ktm_2000 »

It is interesting to see the differences in what people call fish based upon their region.

in the NE, Bluefish are the yellow eyed demons with sharp teeth that are a blast to fight yet not all that great table fare
https://www.onthewater.com/video-insane-bluefish-blitz

They are not picky as to what they will attack and I've gone to the point of flattening a coca-cola can and rigging it with a hook and catching them. Up here, if bluefish are around, you've got to run wire leader or loose tackle.

from my trips down south to the keys, I seem to remember the fish you caught being called a blue runner
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

On closer inspection, I think you are right. That's not a bluefish. That deeply forked tail is a give way...and the really smooth scales...probably "jack" family. He's blue, so he fits the theme. I'll check with the local tackle shop for what they are called around here...I'm still trying to remember how to tie a Uni knot. :-D
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

good post and down home reality.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Congrats Cam, for your first offshore trip with her! I know it's been a long time coming. Beautiful work you've done.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Well, you are both smiling so you must have had fun! Congratulations! It has been a long time coming! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Cam-
Congratulations. Looks like a auspicious start - many happy days to you on the BlueBert.
One of the first fish that my son caught from our boat was a Blue Runner - here in Rhode Island!
Enjoy those MPG!
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

A blue runner has really long pectoral fins. The line through the eye makes it look like a lesser amberjack--in any case, surely in the jack family.