Cummins repower

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Snipe

Re: Cummins repower

Post by Snipe »

That’s pretty much the plan for now! Other work continues for the next couple weeks can’t wait to get her floating again.
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Beautiful Work.

Which reminds me, I have a couple of engine boxes that I will donate to a good home. They have relatively new sound deadening installed.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Sriver43

Post by Sriver43 »

Rick,

Here is to hoping I qualify as a good home. A friend of mine and I bought a 1971 bert 31 in really rough shape. We are rehabbing her on an extremely tight budget, both in our thirties i have a young family. Our engine boxes could certainly stand to be replaced. Are yours stock measurements? We have small blocks. Let me know if you are indeed willing to part with them and I will make everything else easy!

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards

Cole
Cole
1971 Bert 31 “Playroom”
Annapolis, MD
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Sriver43 wrote: May 1st, '23, 15:23 Rick,

Here is to hoping I qualify as a good home. A friend of mine and I bought a 1971 bert 31 in really rough shape. We are rehabbing her on an extremely tight budget, both in our thirties i have a young family. Our engine boxes could certainly stand to be replaced. Are yours stock measurements? We have small blocks. Let me know if you are indeed willing to part with them and I will make everything else easy!

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards

Cole
You are indeed qualified as a good home. I have some other stuff specifically for a 31 that I'll give you as well. Send me a PM with your phone # and I'll go through the list with you. The stuff is in South Carolina at my home which is just below Charleston.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Snipe wrote: Aug 16th, '22, 09:42 Bottom is done five coats of barrier three coats of bottom paint. Started on the rub rail almost done. This was not the easiest job for sure. I bought it from Danny at high tide and had the corners and bow pre bent. The bow fit ok but corners were unusable i had to cut and miter them thankfully i had enough material to do it. The rail didn’t fit to the boat it wasn’t deep enough i had to grind the whole flange down to make it work. It came out pretty good but once again it was not easy! Should be close to sea trial day soon. ImageImageImageImageImage
This is exactly why i went with the rub rail from 31bertram and not High Tides, Hight Tides is actually the stock rub rail for a 35. He warned me not get the prebent corners as they look like shit. The kit from California was cheaper overall shipping included to Mass. The yard that installed had 55 man hours start to finish. Bolted every 4ish so inches.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Got the bow chock back from the chrome shop today looks real nice! I decided to go with pop ups on the gunnels from Gemlux. Got some sound down on one of my engine boxes.pulled off the wood where the hinges mount and glued on a piece of fiberglass.Cut down the cabin hatch and radius the corners installed a slam latch and gas shock. Got the motor box hinges installed. Pushing right along one week to go till we splash. Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
John F.

Post by John F. »

Really nice work. She’s gonna be special.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Jason,

You really do have a nice boat! I hope your son takes on the project of rebuilding her 30 years from now.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks guys! I hope he likes it as well she has almost no wood left so the rebuild will be much easier next time. Almost finished sound down on port side today. Image Image Image
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

As always, looking great Jason!

What I'd give to hinge my motor boxes. Maybe someday I'll add that to my list, but way more involved on an Express with my covers going under the side wings and access hatches built into the top of the box.

Sound down...a great upgrade. I may do that again. Just the weight was crazy having to lift and maneuver the box to gain access.

The splash clock ticks, looking forward to it for you.

A young man with the ability to climb around under the deck can be quite valuable! I can get in some, getting out is a different story
Last edited by Carl on May 22nd, '23, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Snipe - love the recess hinges! Router with a template?? I too have the pull up cleats, good choice. That shot of your son(?) is terrific!

The chrome work looks great. Can you share the shop that did this? I need to re-re-chrome some pieces.

Thanks
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks Cam the chrome shop is super chrome https://superchromenj.com/
My son loves the boat I hope he wants it some day!! Yes the hinges were templates and router.ImageImageImage
Jason
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Looks great, Jason. How did you build the interior cabinetry? Is is all coosa? Is it glassed, or just painted?
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

The interior is all coosa from the cabin sole down. Some wood was used above the deck.The cabinets are sapele wood as well as all the framing for the bench. Some of the original cabinetry was cut down and sanded and painted. There is some 1/2” marine plywood used that was coated in west system both sides then faired and painted with awlcraft.
Jason
neil

Post by neil »

Snipe,I just got all my hardware rechrome from those same people he is a real nice guy and did a great job ,your boat looks great
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks Neil I want to come down and check out your fish boxes that’s next on the list maybe this winter.
Jason
neil

Post by neil »

Snipe come and see the fish boxes anytime the boat is in our back yard till Dec
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Got some new hardware for the original panels on the fybridge and threw a quick paint job on them. They look pretty good for some Formica covered 45 year old plywood! The other ones are for the companion way. Image Image Image
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Much much better than new!

Splash date is coming up soon...
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

So today I repaired the bow chock running lights. I bought perko bayonet sockets and some rubber gasket material. Had some left over fiberglass square stock 1/8” thick wall. Drilled the fiberglass to fit the new sockets got it close then sanded to perfect fit. Cut gaskets out of the rubber 1/16” first then fiberglass piece with bayonet socket installed then 1/8” piece of rubber then the lens then 1/8” rubber on top. It squeezed together perfectly. The bulbs are red and green led I got from Amazon. I think this is a great fix but time will tell. I will include as much as I can in the pictures.https://a.co/d/3X7ZzIsImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

very nice. I had to eliminate my bow lights when I put on the pulpit. I really like that light fixture.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Jason, love following the progress and high level of ingenuity and craftsmanship. Keep the updates coming!

Mark
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Just about when I thought that the bayonet type of socket was extinct...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
neil

Post by neil »

Snipe I just did the same thing except I threw away the bay Annette sockets and put in led so far so good ,let me know when you are in our area so you can check out the fishboxes
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Yannis I saw those sockets on the shelf at the local boat store and my gears started turning that’s why I used them. I looked for leds that work but didn’t see anything. I also liked they the bayonet bulbs were red and green and fairly cheap on Amazon. Neil I will definitely reach out and take a ride over I live close.
Jason
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Jason,

By all means, if you thought this the best solution, then bayonet it will be!

I thought that as in the home there are almost no bayonet sockets anymore, the same would be true for boat bulbs...
I almost never use these running lights as I never run at night. Our boats are too fast and a floating piece of anything really, could ruin your season if not your whole boat. I'm too scared to take that risk.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

Nice very nice. It looks like the red and green bulbs even with the red and green lens throw off plenty if light.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Almost there bottom all cleaned up boot stripe back on and transom cleaned off ready for the new name just have to figure out the rituals on how to change the name. New name coming today. To be honest it’s a whole different boat.ImageImage[/url[url=https://imgur.com/8XBw7y1]ImageImageImage All new so we will rechristen the boat with her new name. Going to name her after my Daughter (Georgia Lee) more pictures coming!
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Jason- Does that mean we change your name here to Georgia Lee as well?

Dug had the ritual for changing names on boats...mine was toned down a bit to spraying oven cleaner on the transom with a good compounding.

Looking forward to the pictures....mostly the ones after splashing.

Don't waste too much time the Bass are leaving and hear the Blues are making there way in. I haven't seen a Bluefish in a couple of years. I'm actually kinda happy if they do come in, maybe they'll keep the dogfish out of the bay. We were overrun by them lil sharks last year.
neil

Post by neil »

Carl the bluefish are everywhere including our back bays and snipe I really like the new name,but I think you have to pray to posiden prior to changing the name just ask Brewster he knows the ritual good luck and hope to see ya soon
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks guys today was a button up day you never realize how much you have left to do till the last day!! Name is on we will do the rituals Saturday!! Tops laid down plugs in ready to hit the road!! ImageImage
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

I found this for renaming a boat. I don't think I know anyone who used expensive Champaign unless they were drinking it.

Glad to see you are ready to splash.

Changing A Boat’s Name: The Boat Renaming Ceremony

Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine won’t cut it. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.)

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.)

It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne. Much more actually, because you have a few more gods to appease. Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the boat renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name. Begin in this manner:

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat’s new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.

(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.

(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.

(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, thanks.

Although the 3 of the 4 wind names are correct as mentioned, you may want to correct the Eastern wind to "Apiliotis" from "Eurus", as this latter is the wind from the Southeast and not from the East.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Jason,

Beautiful Boat! I look forward to seeing her in the water.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
neil

Post by neil »

Tony,that’s is what Brewster told us
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Neil

I actually remember that.

Too bad Brew doesn't pop in to say hello.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Well we are floating all went good. Took a little ride today it was great to be out again. We did the renaming on Saturday used the one that was posted here it went well. Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Jason,

I'm glad to see your family enjoying the boat.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

Excellant. She looks great. Now time for some fun.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Jason- Very nice, you should be proud of what you accomplished!!

May you and your family enjoy for many many years!

Hope to see you out there flying bye.
neil

Post by neil »

Tony I spoke with Brewster this week,he is doing well ,he and his dad are off to Alaska
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks guys! I will still have a little bit of work to do but for now we are happy to be in. Carl we will be rafting up soon in Atlantic highlands can’t wait.
Jason
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Beautiful work Jason! I like the coral red boot top, I like the fact that your family was involved and supportive, and I really like the Bertram 31 moving at speed stern wake image.

Amberjack heading north in the Straits of Juan de Fuca
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Really nice! I'm sure you are smiling big after get her wet! I had a guy at the dock the other day talking to me about my 25. Always starts with "What is that?". He asked me when i finished it and I said, "Are they ever finished?" :-D

In the night pictures it looks Georgia Lee has teak coaming boards...might add that to the list! Fancy her up a bit! :-D
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Cam they are never finished I can’t wait to put some paint on it next year. I really thought about teak for sure don’t know yet but I might have a plan for them in the future. We went out yesterday and there is a local lady that takes boat photos and has a Facebook page and we made it on. Only in a couple days and can’t get enough. The family loves our boat!! Image Image Image
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice to see all those smiles!!
Great looking family Jason.

Enjoy
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

Looking good. Time to make family memories. This is something the kids will never forget.

My father started me fishing when I was 3. I fished with him until he could no longer make it. My cousin and I took him out on the boat fishing the early in the morning on the day he had to enter the hospital. That was his last trip.

Every time I step on the boat, I think of him. Great memories.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Sriver43

Post by Sriver43 »

The boat looks great congratulations! Playroom is only a couple years behind you…

Question that you may have addressed earlier but I missed: Did you raise the deck higher than its original factory location? Looks like the bilge pump hose exits the boat in the transom above the water line but below the deck is that correct?

We are considering whether to put panels under the gunnels like you did or fair and paint the area. If we fair and paint we need to relocate the hardware thats there including the bilge which exits basically in the middle of our transom.

Thanks and congrats again!
Cole
1971 Bert 31 “Playroom”
Annapolis, MD
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Cole the deck is original height. The thruhull you see on the stern is the deck drains. The hull sides were faired. The cleats are under the gunnel in the stern corners. The bilge pumps go into a manifold of sorts then are plumbed into the exhaust at the stern. I posted a lot of pictures if you have any questions or need some pictures you can message me I have thousands of pictures from day one of my build. Best of luck with your build it was a journey for sure but I loved almost every minute of it. So worth it!!!!!
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Helm seat installed and new permateak deck installed just a couple more steps closer to the finish line! Put in a few gemlux rod holder cup holders also pretty nice. Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason