Cummins repower

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Re: Cummins repower

Post by Ironworker »

Jason,

Sorry to hear about the weather. Bring you boat to SC for the winter. While you're working on my boat you can fill in the off days on your boat!!

If its not warm enough in SC we'll load them up and take um to S. Florida.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I am spraying awlcraft 2000 there is an additive for the cold I believe. I sanded it last night a little to see how bad it was and it wasn’t to bad. I might even get a better finish out of it now going to sand it out and see if I get lucky with another nice day.

I would love to be in SC I might end up there some day. I lived in south Florida when I was younger If I wasn’t fishing or diving I didn’t like it. But maybe when I don’t have to work in the heat it would be better. Half of my family still lives there.

Here are some pics of the paint. It rained 5 or 6 hours after I finished spraying surprised it got it so bad. Image Image
Jason
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Holy Shit!!!

Sorry to hear this. You did not deserve that bad luck. If you need a hand I will take a ride over from Long Island and give you a day of my time to help you sand it out. Seriusly
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Shit happens Frank especially when working in the elements. It sands out pretty easy and like I said I might get a better job next time I have a base built up now. Thanks for the offer I will definitely keep it in mind. I am just hoping we get some good weather where I can spray one more time.
Jason
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I think posts like yours and my gripes about gelcoat not fully curing late in the season should be a lesson to folks about how hard it is to do a project on a boat yourself if you are missing what I believe is the biggest ingredient - a good place out of the weather to do work. In the NE the weather window is just too small to get a lot of work done late April - early Oct. I'd love to get more work done on my project but once September hit but the weather gods have chosen to have good weather when I need to work my day job and crappy weather on the weekends.

I would have thought your paint would have been fine 6hrs after, isn't awlcraft 2000 a 2 part paint? solvents should have flashed out of it a lot faster than that.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Yes it is two part paint I thought so too. Like I said good practice for the next coat!!
Jason
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

That’s crazy looking. Sorry for the setback.

I remember the worry, we were shooting outside late in the afternoon when we did my boat 15 years ago. Down here it’s mostly humidity and bugs to worry about.

Good luck. The boat looks nice.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Take 2!! It only took 12hours to sand it all back out. I got to spray it yesterday. Hope when I get home today it still looks good. I used some thinner this time and added an activator seemed to kick the paint off a little quicker. Fingers crossed! I had a great Halloween helper today and finished in time to take the kids trick or treating. Check out the nice rain clouds that rolled over right after i got done spraying the last coat. Thankfully it didn’t rain. My wife said it still looks shiny this morning.Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

fingers-crossed for take 2

looks good so far hopefully this am it looks just as good
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks frank it made it couple little spots I need to fix but all in all it looks pretty good for an outside job in November!!
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have to say Jason. You do some nice work. Ever think about doing this for a living? LOL I know Tough living.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

So yesterday the exhaust mixers came from seaboard marine they are really nice! I was going to make them myself but decided to buy them. Not cheap but saved me some time. I also installed the controls in the helm so i can get some cable lengths and started working on the panel for underneath. Nice weather for November! Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

WoW...that looks SHARP !!

Nice nice work.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

going to love those single lever controls especially when backing into a slip .standing up looking backwards the levers are right in either hands. you will be able to judge within 1" on both port and starboard corners of the transom .nice work
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

Really nice. Loved to see Pics of the exhaust set up when you are done.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Beautiful. Keep it coming.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks guys! Tony I am going to start on the exhaust in the next couple weeks if all goes right. Just got a big box of goodies to start installing! Image Image
Jason
neil

Post by neil »

Very nice job on the paint job,we did ours last year but we were in side
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks Neil painting outside in the fall has its own set of challenges but all in all I think it came out ok! I am by no means a painter but I got it done. I would love to come check out you in the deck fish boxes you made they looked great I am going to take that some time in the future.
Jason
neil

Post by neil »

With a little help from his friends he made them,he made a mold and they are insulated he did a great job
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

So I worked on the helm lay out a little on Saturday went and grabbed a steering wheel real quick then got rained on so I moved into the cabin and started on the interior lights.I went with lumatec lighting throughout. Today I took my son Bass fishing and he got his first striped bass!! I even had a Carl sighting on the bass grounds!! Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

If you are not a painter you could of fooled me. Really nice work. She is really starting to shine.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

That was me out there...a late slow start but it finished well for the last, last trip of the season. I really mean it this time, the last trip.
Isn't the amount of bait just incredible? I snagged two bunker trolling, crazy.

Nice 1st Striper for your son Jason!

Wow, your boat is turning out incredible! The attention to detail...I give you tons of credit.
SS can definitely shine up real nice with a little love.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks Carl we snagged a few bunker as well all in all a great day on the water for November!!
Jason
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Nice work on the smile and Striper for Jason!
The boat looks good too...
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Snipe - did you grind and then buff the bolts on your helm?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Snipe,

Have you considered the Lagun swivel for the table?
Does this one swivel?
If not, a swiveling one is very practical. I have it and it’s super.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Yannis I have honestly never thought about it I will definitely look into it.
Jason
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

ktm_2000 wrote: Nov 17th, '21, 11:30 Snipe - did you grind and then buff the bolts on your helm?
Yes I ground them then sanded them with four different grit papers then buffed!
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Yannis now I remember I saw that on one of your posts when you were doing your cabin work. Nice!
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

This week/weekend finished mounting the helm and started the exhaust! I also had my little helper come out and hang in the cabin.Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

...I feel like I'm having Daja Vu.

I think I ate, slept and dreamt SS exhaust risers for a year.

Go up, go down, go over. Go up and over, back down and tuck in and under bulkhead.
Go down and under...
Go up, down, tuck between trans, tank and bulkhead then go across. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.
But only because I was running exhaust down the center...to go outside deck had to go up and that was more of a project than I was going to take on...that meant rear shelf had to come out. Companionway rests on motor boxs...so that gets redone...

Looking great Jason...hurry the weather outside is frightful. Well cold anyway, I just winterized Sunday...my year is done.

Your son has the right idea! In a boat, under covers with a heater....nice!
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Yes he does Carl he likes the top bunk with the view! So on the port side it’s pretty easy up over and straight down. On the starboard side up out and a little forward to meet up with the exhaust hose. I was wishing I had another set of hands to hold more 90’s to get it but I am going to just start tacking it in place and see how it goes. Once it’s all tacked I will bring it to my buddys shop to tig weld it. He has a nice set up so we can purge the whole pipe while we weld it.
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

Really nice. I like what you have done.

Do the bunks fold up? Jimmy G had bunks on his rebuild also, but if I remember correctly, they folded up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes, lots of tacking, run it to the boat to fit...re-adjust bring back to shop, tack, bring back to fit. Port...as you said was easy. Starboard I went up 6" then down...real snug between motor box, motor mount, trans, bulkhead and tank. But it fits...
Maybe in the future I'll go up and over running exhaust to the outside of the stringer....if I ever need to go 6"
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Tony I got the idea from Jimmy yes the back of the bench is on a big piano hinge and the bottom bunk goes right to the hull side. Still haven’t figured out how it will stay up for now I just prop it up on 2x4’s. I am thinking either fold down legs or a rope/strap to the ceiling
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Snipe wrote: Nov 23rd, '21, 07:24 Tony I got the idea from Jimmy yes the back of the bench is on a big piano hinge and the bottom bunk goes right to the hull side. Still haven’t figured out how it will stay up for now I just prop it up on 2x4’s. I am thinking either fold down legs or a rope/strap to the ceiling
When you get a chance would you mind posting a couple of more photos of your folding bunk both in the up and down position?

Thanks
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Rick here are a few pictures. The space under the back rest is for the bottom cushion.Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Thanks. I'm considering something similar. I want to open up the V Berth area but still have lockable rod storage. I've been considering a combination of the bench similar to yours parallel to a long high grade cooler for ice storage. When the cooler is in it would be a berth and when out would be the bench.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Jason,

I used a garelick folding leg on my table, they lock in the up position. Seems like they’d work nicely for the bunk.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/garelic ... 28-25.html

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

If I remember correctly, Jimmy had some type of roping supporting the top berth.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
micky

Post by micky »

Snipe wrote: Oct 16th, '21, 19:34 Rick this was it today after fairing and filling and blocking it down. Image Image
What did you use to fair? Resin with west system 410?
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Mickey I did on this because I thought I didn’t have enough easy fair. It works well but it always has a ton of pin holes when sanded. I much prefer EZ Fair it spreads like marshmallow fluff almost no pin holes when sanded. https://www.pettitpaint.com/products/ep ... s/ez-fair/
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Got the starboard side exhaust tacked up today hopefully have both tacked and welded by the end of next week. Image Image Image
Jason
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

exhaust is looking good. I did not see if you have worked on the "port" side exhaust yet. Prob be tight but we know it fits.

Jason it really is coming along as a work of art and true devotion...I wish I had half your talent
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks Frank!! Trying to keep pushing along.
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

scenarioL113 wrote: Dec 2nd, '21, 17:29 exhaust is looking good. I did not see if you have worked on the "port" side exhaust yet. Prob be tight but we know it fits.

Frank- look back to Jason' pictures from Nov 22nd. The pics just before his son verifies the bunk works properly are pictures from the port side. Going the way Jason is on the port side (up n over) there is a good deal of room. That is if you are running the exhaust outside the outboard stringer.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Finished starboard side exhaust mock up and started port side tonight. The elbow right off the turbo is a little tight to the engine box but I think I will get the wrap on there with a little finesse. These short days kill me gets dark so early. Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Got back out tonight for a couple mins and fit the hump hose and elbow and hose back to the muffler.Image Image Image
Jason