effective way to pinpoint a leak

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Cturtle

effective way to pinpoint a leak

Post by Cturtle »

It drives me crazy that after a good rain I'll have water on the counter top in the head and galley area. I have had someone stand inside the head while I squirted a hose down the port side of the boat starting with the flying bridge then moving down to the hand rail attached to the flying bridge ledge and also the handrail attached to the gunnel. I continued to flood the windows and gunnel to no avail. It rains and I open the head door and BAM there is standing water on the counter up in the left hand corner. Whenever it is coming when it drips on the counter it missed the shelf just below the window.
Then I go to the other side of the head bulkhead into the galley area and water is standing in the left hand corner of the galley area. I also have steaks running down the bulkhead in the sleeping berth. I don't have anything at the moment on the bulkhead. I removed the old carpet that was attached to the bulkhead when I purchased the boat. I'd like to put something back for better acoustics but want to stay dry first.

I know water has a habit of entering one place and following the path of least resistance before dripping. Someone suggested lining the window ledge with baking soda or baby powder and the next time it rains check to see if the powder is dry or wet and where. With so much condensation on boats I'm not sure if everything would seem wet due to condensation.

Anyone who has been there done that would be welcomed to chime in. Thanks Doug from he CTurtle
Tony Meola

Re: effective way to pinpoint a leak

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

When the streaks of water in the V Berth are probably coming from the bow rail. Drop the over head, you may need to re-bed the railing.

As far as the head and galley, I have the same issue in certain driving rains. On mine it is working its way in from the cabin windows. I found it coming from both were the glass overlaps and also if I have a clogged drain hole in the frame.

I know a real pain.

What gets me I have gone thru Hurricanes not a drop. Then we get a heavy rain and then I have water. Good luck chasing it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

i had multiple leaks on my old girl , a lot off them were from the rub rail joint bolts not being sealed properly, fortunately we rectified those very quickly and easily, ,but one way to look for your leak is to do it in reverse,cover the outside in very soapy water on a still day and with another person on the outside blow compressed air from the inside and look for bubbles outside,this trick has saved my ass a few times, hope it works for you
Todd
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

One other way to look at it is ignore it. I did that and Im happy as father christmas.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote: Feb 14th, '21, 14:54 One other way to look at it is ignore it. I did that and Im happy as father christmas.
LOL

I hope when it rains and you are in the cabin it is not dripping on your head.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315