Installing Electronic Engine Controls

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Installing Electronic Engine Controls

Post by Ironworker »

I will add some photos to the thread when I can get back to the boat next week but for now, I'll pass along my experience with installing Glendinning Engine controls on my B31.

First the folks at Glendinning were very helpful although I did run into a few snags along the way and still have a Tach sensor issue we are trying to solve. More on that shortly.

My 31 had the flybridge modified to have a pop up chartplotter house and extended the wheel house so that I could install Palm Beach throttle/shift controls. I also have a tower station which I used the standard Glendinning control head.

I also have a couple of old Volvo Penta TAMD 60B engines. I stripped out all the old instrumentation which is another thread as I'm going to install Analog to Digital Engine monitoring at some point in the near future. The throttle and shifters on the engines are strictly mechanical which required me to use the Smart Actuators II. Some newer engines are already set up to accept the Glendinning controls without the Smart Actuators so check with them.

Installing the system was pretty easy. It comes from the factory literally plug and play and system calibration took about 1 hour for both engines. It took about 1/2 day to install the flybridge and tower stations and control heads and to pull the control wires and mount the smart Actuators II units once that is all set then you measure the length needed for the push pull cables, call Glendinning and they ship the cables.

Installing the push/pull cables and calibrating the system was about an hour. Now for the snags which will show up in the photos.

1. I installed the side shifters at a height that worked for me standing up. They interfere with the mechanical tachs under the steering wheel. I could have avoided this by lowering the sidemount shifters. but it would have been slightly uncomfortable to operate the controls backwards. I'm going to resolve this problem by adding a 2" thick piece of teak under the wheel.

2. The second issue is the tach sensors. The Glendinning sensors for a mechanical engine is designed to fit on the front of the crankshaft and need approximately 6" of clearance between the front of the engine and the bulkhead. I have about 3/4". We are still working on this problem but I hope to be able to piggy back a signal from the new digital engine instrumentation.

I'm including a photo of the helm with the temp control station I installed just to see if the engines would run. I have about 25 hours on the engines since we put it in the water after being on the hard for 8 years. The engines are running well enough that I felt comfortable ponying up the bucks for the Glendinning Controls which was about $7K.

I'm extremely pleased with how the controls function and they certainly make the boat easier to maneuver.Image
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Re: Installing Electronic Engine Controls

Post by Ironworker »

Apparently, I can't figure out how to post photos but here is a dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76p2lsazo0cv7 ... 7.jpg?dl=0
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Rick ill be following this thread, I installed the EMU-1 system on my Tier 1 yanmars and they work great. i get engine temp, turbo psi, tach, oil pressure, water temp, volts, transmission temp & pressure Im going to remove all my mechanical gauges this winter as i don't even look at them anymore. I may even add 1 more 9 inch axiom screen in the center and use the two side ones for navigation and sonar. contemplating also removing the I70 on the left and the autopilot on the right since i can get and control all that info on the axioms

Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Finally got to check on the boat and got some photos. ETA is being a little bitch. First rolled through south florida and now through Bennett's Point where I've got the Carolina Reaper docked.

I will say the Glendinning controls are super smooth.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

apparently I still haven't figure it out.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox ... d-p/235974

this should help
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Lets go old school...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrc04w65gzb19 ... 0.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c44a65h7a0ma2 ... 5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p093yowi4wdh4 ... 6.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/au71231nb9bnn ... 7.jpg?dl=0

These are temporary wheels until I get her all prettied up.

As posted earlier, I'm still wrestling with the issue of getting an acceptable tach signal for the syconizer will function properly but otherwise I'm very pleased with the installation.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
spencer

Post by spencer »

Iron worker
Looks good

I’ll post some pics in a little of my rebuild
Had my boat on the hard for 10 years
Did a complete restoration, I have Cummins 250
And used the Tony Athens digital gauges to interface with the garmin units -went with single level controls but
Used Capt Patrick’s recommended company in Washington
But still mechanical shifting only flybridge helm

I’m having a issue with the digital gauges tachometer
Does not match the engine when tested at the engine directly

It seems there is always something
That’s not done !

P.s. you have a place in Spanish wells ?
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Spencer,

Yes I do. I'm hoping to get the 31 over there in the spring for the dolphin run.

You know Spanish Wells?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
spencer

Post by spencer »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l8btx039o9ms ... 7-BVa?dl=0

Some pictures of my build - if it works

I saw your name on the hull truth
I purchased some land in hopetown - dorros cove
Community is putting a dock back in and I’m putting a lift in
so hopefully by June I can keep a boat
Over there

Gonna be a couple years before I can afford to
Add a house
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Spencer,

That's are really nice boat! I'm just up the creek from you in N. Palm Beach although I haven't gotten my 31 down yet. I really like your engine box details. Would you mind posting some more pics of the cockpit, engine boxes and flybridge.

Once I get my 31 Bertram finished I'm got a 42 Bertram that was given to me that needs some attention or perhaps a burial at sea. I'm not sure which just yet. I'm thinking about making the 42 B my southern command center in the southern Bahamas and just fly in to fish.

So regarding the pics on Dropbox. If I post a link to a folder on dropbox will all the photos in the folder be available to view? My boat is a work in progress and this site is a little persnickety about posting pics.

I've got a buddy in Boynton that has a 39 See Vee named Fish Magnet.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
spencer

Post by spencer »

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5fpz8b1o1knt ... UFghUBupPa

I added some more that I had
But yes the drop box I’m uploading all from my phone
Copying the link and pasting

I’ll try to get more pics of the fly bridge area

The 31 is in Stuart until we bring it down this or next week just trying to get the tach issue dealt with

42 should be a good foundation down there
For island Hoping we had a 35 growing up
And did that in the abacos
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Spencer,

You did a great job on your boat. I really like to detail of opening up the V Berth. I'd bet I've hit my head 25 times on the little door getting into the V berth.

Also I very much like how you installed the Palm Beach controls. I installed mine with the control heads in plane with the steering column and I'm having a problem with the Analog tach interfering with the control heads.

I've made a couple of other hole drilling mistakes that I'll rectify in the future once I get practiced up on fiberglass and paint spraying.

Thanks for posting the pics. I'll try to get some of my project loaded up.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Rick how have the Glendinning controls performed? I'm about to pull the trigger on them. Do you have any install pics?

Sean
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Sean,

They work fantastic. Before you buy, I may be able to save you some serious money. About 3 months after I installed my Glenndinning engine controls on my mechanical engines, I decided to repower to new fully electronic Cummins engines and gearboxes. That means, that I have two virtually brand new Glenndinning Smart Actuators along with cables that are for sale. If you are interested send my a PM and I'll send you my cell #
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

PM sent
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I like that - What flooring did you end up using? I decided to go with the MT-3 one sided controls

Still mechanical - but all smooth now
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]