Antifouling paint on rudders

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Antifouling paint on rudders

Post by pschauss »

I am going to be installing new stainless rudders, the oversized ones from Bobby Soles Propeller. What kind of antifouling paint, if any, should I apply to them?

My slip is in brackish water, on the Connetquot River, where the salinity ranges from 16 to 22 ppt.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
bob lico

Re: Antifouling paint on rudders

Post by bob lico »

SECRET : buy RUST-OLEUM cold galvanize spray and apply two coats or listen to the "know it alls" in the yard and buy Petit zinc spray and spend double for a 5% less percentage of zinc or you could listen to yard worker with no clue and paint it with bottom paint.you can Purchase at Brinkman Hardware in Sayville.BTW. i never buy from box stores and i have never been in a walmart /kmart in my life.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Bob,

Thanks for the tip on the Rust-oleum product. Brinkman's is convenient to Westin's boat yard so I get in there now and then.

Do I need to mask off the area where the zinc anodes get bolted to the rudder?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

The area where the zincs contact the rudder need to be clean. Do not paint them, and always clean the area when replacing zincs
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:i have never been in a walmart /kmart in my life.

Sorry Bob, the K-Mart Blue Light Special was something worth seeing and expericing.

Attention K-Mart Shoppers...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl some years back i had 10 homes and properties in FL.so i flew to Tampa and went on to a place called Ocala to look at a double lot on a lake .beautiful view but hot and sticky like NAM. went to see a neighbor ----------OMG i looked and just back down the road i swear it was a seen out of the movie deliverance. he had no banjo but he could have been his brother. i look for a store nearby and of course it was a walmart. i stayed in the car and watched ; incest must be rampart in the area. never went back ,the real estate did everything and the closing . i sold everything on west coast my cousin has one in Brookville . alligators on lawn no thank you.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Family- ...some love their family just a little too much.
HydroRacer

Post by HydroRacer »

it's Brooksville bob
HydroRacer

Post by HydroRacer »

bob ,

I have to chime in on your post about the people in central Florida . Back in the late 70's when i started racing Hydroplanes we would have major race events on Lake Monroe in Sanford . I found the people there to be the most friendly and helpful folks i've met . A local machine shop did not even charge me for an intricate repair to get me back out on the water. Young and old spectators were genuinely interested in our team and equipment and my company even went on to sponsor 2 local kids who were inspired to race later on in their lives .
Perhaps you should stick to the technical aspects on this board ( which you are good at ) and keep the vitriol to yourself . Maybe the moderator of the board can do a " rants & raves" section as i'm always having to fast forward past your hubristic and self aggrandizing comments . A motorcycle racing board i'm on has zero tolerance for such remarks & it will get you banned immediately . Even another poster on this board have made comments about your post calling you " arrogant bordering on pompous " .
This is not the point in time to tear down other people and if you must please post it in another part of this board or not at all , stick to the technicals .

Thank you and have a nice day .

HydroRacer
Mark

Post by Mark »

So I guess I should know this but I will the Cold Galvanize be better on the bronze struts and rudders or just the stainless. I'm along way from boat right now and yard uses Micron extra on all. I think they do the prop speed too but I'm reluctant to have them do that.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes you can use on strainers, and thru hulls and any other metal below water line. read the can and compare with contents of Petit brand -------wow
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

I use the bottom paint on my rudders and shafts. I use the prop coat on my props. I have no luck with the prop coat on my shafts and rudders. I have no idea why it does not work for me on shafts rudders and intakes.

I take it you now own a 31.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315