Plain 31 Sport Fisherman

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

buzzk

Plain 31 Sport Fisherman

Post by buzzk »

I am thinking about an original 31 Spot Fish preferably gas but maybe diesel. One without the bulkhead, with the lower station and with the head between the vee birth. Don't want a 1/2 tower just the Bimini Top. Has everyone taken the lower station out, closed in the front windows and added a 1/2 tower? I've seen a couple with the lower station but they had the bulkhead or were way out of my price range. Anybody know where one is? My father had a 31 FBC and in later years I fished on a friends Sport Fish and liked it better. Thanks
Tommy

Re: Plain 31 Sport Fisherman

Post by Tommy »

Buzz, you are correct that many of the SF models have had the lower station removed, but mine was original and I loved having the lower station. They show up from time to time, so keep looking. There was a clean one in original condition on the a Great Lakes a few months ago.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Has everyone taken the lower station out, closed in the front windows and added a 1/2 tower?

Look at Vince's boat in the classifieds. His boat is set up that way. Mac's boat "Mako" is set up as original--front windows, open bulkhead, and lower station. I believe that if you search you can find pics of Mako on the site
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Thanks John, but Vince's boat has a half tower and the lower station has been taken out. Is the Mako for sale? I sold a Bertram 33 with 330 Cummins and stepped down to a 26 Regulator. I liked the Bertram and I like the Regulator but when I sold the Bertram I didn't have anybody to go fishing with me. Now all my grand kids want to go fishing and there isn't enough room for all my grand kids on the Regulator.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Sorry. I missed the point of your post. What you want are around, but when I was looking, they didn’t come up much. I was just suggesting Mako as a nice original example if you wanted to see one. I love my FB, but for your needs, I’d think about a Bahia or an Express. Or another boat like a Pursuit express. Good luck in your search.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

I'm not knew to Bertram 31's my father owned one for years. I've fished on a Bahia Mar and a Express but I like the openness of the SF so that you can get out of the sun. If I go with a diesel boat I would have to install a new lift and the lift I have would handle a gas boat and no more than I use the boat the fuel savings doesn't mean that much.
Carl

Post by Carl »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... ey#p129668

Think it was still around not to long ago when a deal fell through
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Thanks Carl, I thought the boat sold. Anyway I'll PM Mickey. Does anyone happen to know if you can cut the rear bulkhead off and if you did would you have to make some structural changes?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

buzzk wrote:Thanks Carl, I thought the boat sold. Anyway I'll PM Mickey. Does anyone happen to know if you can cut the rear bulkhead off and if you did would you have to make some structural changes?
If you take out the bulkhead, you will need reinforce the pillars and I believe the bridge.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I did not remove the bulkhead--but increased the window size to maximum and deleted the door------opened up the cabin and did not compromise the structure.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hi Buzz,

If you are still interested in a clean, original gas-powered Sport Fisherman with lower station, give me a call at (919) 880-0832. A close friend is getting ready to place his on the market. I should be free this afternoon around 1-1:30.

Tommy
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Will do Tommy but I've expanded my search to include diesel. My lifts only 10000# and I'm going to have to install a new lift either way plus I'm having a hard time finding mobile gas mechanics in my area. I would have never thought that a diesel mechanic would be easy to find.