steering fluid in Bilge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Cturtle

steering fluid in Bilge

Post by Cturtle »

The C Turtle has been running beautifully but yesterday after leaving Beaufort Inlet I powered down to let my wife starting trolling. My starboard engine stalled out and wouldn't restart so I limped back to Homer Smith on the Port engine. At one point I had to really really oversteer to counter the engine pulling me to the right. While replacing a fuel pump on the starboard engine I noticed a good amount of steering fluid in the bilge. Would over steering cause fluid to leak and if so, from where. I lifted all the hatch covers to see if I could find a trail or beginning point of leakage but there were no obvious signs.
Seapalm

Re: steering fluid in Bilge

Post by Seapalm »

I just had a similar experience on my B-35, but eventually my steering was completely lost from my bridge helm and I had to steer from the cabin helm. I costed out the repair to my Hynautic brand system to find parts are available if you can find them. So I asked several professionals and got recommendations to replace the whole system with a Seastar Hydraulic system.

I purchased a whole new system for around $1800.00 and installed it myself. I went with a single helm as I’m removing the cabin helm. It was a 3day job on my 35 which included removing the complete Hynautic system which was messy and getting into some very tight spaces. The new Seastar is all stainless, brass, and hard dense plastic hose that was easy to install. The old system was rubber coated metal web hoses with steel highly corroded joints. I’m sure I saved several thousands in labor costs, but so glad I did a complete replacement.

Seastar has an outstanding customer support/Tech Team that will get you everything you need. One thing that is critical is matching the ram (hydraulic cylinder) at the rudders. It has to be able to handle the twin rudders and torque of steering and backing down on a fish. Imagine backing down on a trophy fish and the rudders ‘slam’ sideways creating a stall and total chaos and loss of the Trophy! I hope this helps.
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle
Carl

Post by Carl »

Extra pressure on the wheel means extra pressure in the system, so yes that can cause areas to leak that would not ordinarily leak. That said, normal running may not have a system leak, but IT MAY also be the beginning of a problem. Often a leak does not get better so if it were my boat, I'd need to know where it was coming from and then decide. I'd start looking at the fittings, were hose attaches, the ram. Look and feel for fluid...the fluid doesn't dry so you should be able to find. Could be something as simple as needing to take a slight turn on a fitting, loose bleeder or fill plug Or it could be a line ready to let go.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Cturtle wrote:....... to see if I could find a trail or beginning point of leakage ......

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7652 ... gKInvD_BwE

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Remember its look and feel...run your hands over the connections and fittings. A helper turning the wheel with steady pressure against the stops should be able to give you a leak again...also a leak could have you moving the wheel a little as fluid leaks out. Might have to check going both ways against the stops.

You also said steering fluid...I am assuming because of the color. Check transmission lines, cooler lines, and trim tab lines, housing and fluid level if you have tabs....sometimes we get a mind block looking for something we sort of expect ruling out other causes.