Mack Boring's 2 day Yanmar class

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Mack Boring's 2 day Yanmar class

Post by Rickysa »

Just curious if anyone has taken it? 2-day course on maintenance and emergency repair....I'm signed up for the October class.
THESALTYSATO

Re: Mack Boring's 2 day Yanmar class

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Ricky
I am not familiar with the class offering. Is it local in NC or at some other location. I have Yanmar 6LP's and would have an interest.
thanks for posting. I think someone said you are in the Morehead City area. We are also.Would like to meet sometime if you are in town.
thanks If you get a chance please call and we can compare notes 336-404-0065
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Wish it was...it's in Somerset, NJ

planning to take side roads and extra time...I've done 95 North for the last time.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think the last certified Yanmar mechanic over here took it...he might have even passed the class as he could identify a Yanmar.
He was very capable of taking small problems and quickly developing them into something major.
The gent couldn't do much more then that, but he did charge an awful lot.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

This one is the "2 Day Yanmar Marine Diesel Owner Maintenance Training" with the goal being that "Attendees will learn to: * extend engine life * work on like owned diesel engines * perform basic maintenance * learn repair signals * run a cleaner engine"

I took the Cummins class in Fla back when I was running the 6btas just to get comfortable with them...it helped. I understand maintenance to be a big issue with Yanmars, so I figure any hands on info will help also.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hi Ricky, I took the 1-day Yanmar Owners class at Mack Boring in Wilmington soon after Bruce installed my 6LP-STE engines (around 2000). My goal was to learn enough about the engines so I could be vigilant about service and communicate with the mechanics about maintenance. It was worth the time and effort.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i took the 1 day course years ago in jersey
very basic but i got familiar with the engines
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If anything it gives you knowledge to make sure your mechanics aren't feeding you a line about the knuder valve going bad.

The most difficult thing about engine maintenence is just doing it, or getting it done. I set up maintenence schedules for all my local customers. Only about 20% took advantage of it. The rest just paid me more dollars to fix things instead of maintaining.

Knowledge is king.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Thanks for the feedback folks...here is the description from the brochure:
In the 2-day Hands-On Class from Mack Boring & Parts Co. students will learn how to perform routine maintenance as well as how to break down an engine to perform emergency repairs. The class is over 60% hands-on, working on Yanmar engines. The class takes a practical approach, with an emphasis on how to deal with the unexpected. Students learn by doing. By the end of Day 2, they will have bled the fuel system, changed the impeller, checked the injector system, torqued the head bolts and more.
The course describes essential repair parts to keep on board, how to use them and where to purchase them. Nearly every maintenance and repair procedure will be addressed with tips and shortcuts to make engine work easier and keep your boat operating cleaner. Take home reference manuals include charts, diagrams and step by step repair instructions.
I set up maintenence schedules for all my local customers.
That's one of the main things I hope to take away from the class
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

I took the course around 2003 with Larry Berlin as the instructor. It was a 1 day class. Glad I took it, very informative and helped me many times. Engines now have 2400 hours. I would recommend it.