Swim Platform mount question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Swim Platform mount question

Post by gplume »

Looking for some advice from some of the faithful.....yes, I know this is not a Bertam 31 question. (most of you guys know the unfortunate fate of mine....though it ended up in a new life as a "prom queen" now) Looking for the collective expertise on this site for a question on my new boat. Mounting a new swim platform that is massive compared to what I have. Modeled after this one I took a picture of. Does anyone have an idea what the spacer material might be between the mounting brackets and transom. Looks like a hard plastic, but not sure what it is. Thinking of Gtem, but I did not think you could get it in white. Any inputs welcome.
Giff
CamB25

Re: Swim Platform mount question

Post by CamB25 »

my guess is King Starboard.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

Looks like Starboard to me
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Starboard doesn't hold paint. Neither does Delrin or any of the acetal plastics.

You CAN paint polyethylene, polystyrene, and ABS (with some prep work). So it may be one of those.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
gplume

Post by gplume »

Thanks guys, appreciate the inputs.

BR
Giff
Giff
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:Starboard doesn't hold paint. Neither does Delrin or any of the acetal plastics.

You CAN paint polyethylene, polystyrene, and ABS (with some prep work). So it may be one of those.

I thought Starboard was HDPE
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

It is. That's why it comes in 8 different colors. You can paint some of the less dense PE plastics, provided you scuff it up pretty well (and sometimes heat or chemically soften) and use a paint that is very tough but also flexible. Sometimes you can dye HDPE, but you pretty much have to immerse it in boiling water with RIT or something in it. But HDPE is so dense that paint can't hold on to it. At least not for long. You can usually just rub it off with your fingers. And the Acetal plastics are even worse. They're basically self lubricating, they're so slippery. If you've seen my gin pole, you've seen the movable step. It sits on an 1/4" slice of Delrin, and in 13 years has never bound up.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I didn't know about the finishing of the plastics, I usually just machine and ship the stuff.

Delrin/Acetal is slick, but definitely not self lubricating trying spinning with a load.
Good for your application or to bush a worn rudder port...and as far as machining, by far one of the best.