1968 Hatteras 34 project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

micky

Re: 1968 Hatteras 34 project

Post by micky »

Carl,

Hours, 1 will be 0 hours and the other one will have a top end rebuild. Transmissions will be resealed completely. No panels or harness but I don't mind as all the gauges and senders are new and I'll make the harnesses.
These pair of engines were in a Sea Ray 34, one of them dropped a valve and damaged the piston (cylinder wasn't damaged) so owner decided to go with more HP Cummins. The guy who installed the Cummins took the Yanmars as trade, the one that will be 0 hours is completely disassembled and the other one he will remove the head to verify everything and will replace the valves and springs, etc.
micky

Post by micky »

Engines are out. Cleaning the engine room starts tomorrow.

micky

Post by micky »

Everything has been cleaned and de-greased. Its ready for sanding.

micky

Post by micky »

Started painting the bilge today. Gave it 2 coats and it needs 2-3 more as you can still see the gray through the white. Ran out of paint so will continue tomorrow.

micky

Post by micky »

Very productive day today, started the day giving the bilge another coat of paint, after that was done, painted the generator and in the afternoon moved the batteries from where they were to the middle of the 2 transmissions. Fabricated a battery box, still need to paint where the batteries were before and finish the battery box as the top is not squared (see pic).

Last edited by micky on Apr 3rd, '20, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

Post by Carl »

There is no hem and haw deliberation by you...its all systems full ahead!

Damn, I admire your gusto!
micky

Post by micky »

Started the day by fixing the crooked battery box lid. After that removed the remaining of the fiberglass insulation (I'm still itching). Ordered the new 1" foam insulation. As soon as I receive it I'll install the new water lines and 110v wiring. After this was done, I removed the 4 front engine mounts and while I was at it, removed both shelves at the front corners where the batteries were before. See pic for the amount of dirt under those 2 shelves. Will make them in marine plywood covered with fiberglass or coosa board, need to measure to see if what I have left is enough for the 2 of them.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Micky,

What is this box in the middle? A tank? Im sure you'll find a lot under it too!
Also, this bulkhead seems like it needs some tlc...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
micky

Post by micky »

Yannis wrote:Micky,

What is this box in the middle? A tank? Im sure you'll find a lot under it too!
Also, this bulkhead seems like it needs some tlc...
Yannis, that is the water tank.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Micky,

If its just a water tank I’d take it out.
First, to see whats under there, clean and paint like the rest of the hull.
And, second, I cant imagine the muck inside the tank, whether it be sand, mud, bacteria, you name it. Vetus and others make nice tanks, cheap,too. Or you could glass that bottom space into a tank.
Oh well...Im thinking out loud sometimes, especially now with the confinement, lol.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: I’d take it out.

Talk about a back seat driver...

....half way around the world barking out recommendations. Sheshh

One of my bosses used to tell me...

Carl, I find work fascinating, I could sit and watch it for hours.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I don't miss that crap at all. Although shades of it came to mind yesterday when tearing down a 283 out of a 67 numbers matching Camaro that has been sitting in a garage for 21 years partly apart. The smells of an oily bilge wafted up to my nose only to find when I pulled the pan a gelatinous rat that was floating in 21 year old oil.

No I don't miss that at all.

But nice work Micky.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

There’s a clear difference between “I’d take it out” and “you should take it out”.
Also, there is a difference between barking and suggesting.
We shouldn't all become so velvety soft that any opinion could be perceived as infringement on ones personality....over a tank issue!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Carl,

There’s a clear difference between “I’d take it out” and “you should take it out”.
Also, there is a difference between barking and suggesting.
We shouldn't all become so velvety soft that any opinion could be perceived as infringement on ones personality....over a tank issue!

LOL

I figured if I poked you a few more times you'd eventually answer with a come back.

Although in my world of being a boss...my suggestion of "I'd take it out" and " you should take it out" are very much one in the same.

It is funny though...its almost like working on my boat at the marina with a bunch of guys standing, sitting on the transom watching and suggesting. Except instead of sitting on the transom drinking a beer we are scattered around the globe. And that's a good thing...its why I have a boat at a marina instead of...well I don't have an instead of as this boats not trailer able...but when I had one that was, part of boat being stored in the water at a dock was having dock mates.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Damn it, Carl, you got me on this one. I owe you one! Lol.

As for the beer part, a few days back I was skyping my italian friends in Milano, it was in the evening around dinner time, we were filling our glasses with wine and toasting on the lens...brrrrrr what an awkward feeling, it’s like how it’s gonna be with the first inhabitants of Mars when they will be talking to their families!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Damn it, Carl, you got me on this one. I owe you one! Lol.

As for the beer part, a few days back I was skyping my italian friends in Milano, it was in the evening around dinner time, we were filling our glasses with wine and toasting on the lens...brrrrrr what an awkward feeling, it’s like how it’s gonna be with the first inhabitants of Mars when they will be talking to their families!

LOL, yes you do and I expect it. If you can't tease your friends...why have them.

I tell you, it's so quiet here, aside from all the noise, that I'm going stir crazy. We are busy, loaded with work...but everyone s mind is elsewhere...go figure.

While this communication technology is no substitution for face to face, I am glad we have it.
micky

Post by micky »

Not much done today as I need to wait for the insulation. Started by painting where I removed the shelves. After that was done, took all the copper water lines out and started to replace everything with hose. Finally, wired the 2 main power lines that go from the generator to the panels.

DanielM

Post by DanielM »

It’s looking good. That is one of my favorite parts of a project, whether it’s a empty, clean, and freshly painted engine bay on an old car or an engine room and bilge on a boat. Always feels like I’ve turned the corner from pulling nasty parts off to putting new shiny parts on.

Keep it up, you’ve got momentum on your side (and some Yanmars coming)
micky

Post by micky »

3 out of the 4 boxes of insulation arrived yesterday ( 1 day before the delivery date) so installed the insulation on the forward bulkhead and half of the back bulkhead. After this was done, started rewiring the boat, removed all the wiring from the port side (v-berth receptacle and light, stove, microwave, fridge and a 12v lamp), also removed the copper pipe that supplied water for the sink in the galley, once everything was removed started to rewire everything on that side, also used hose instead of the copper pipe and installed the fresh water tank hoses. Also left the wire in place for the water maker.

Tomorrow will install the wire for the new A/C. Finish the insulation on the back bulkhead as it arrived today and will start installing the battery switched, battery charger, windlass breaker, etc.

On the port side, there are 3 circuits that I want to rewire as its original but there's no access to pull new wiring and the old one is held in place by fiberglass over them, what would you guys do? Everything is working but to rewire all the boat and leave those 3 old circuits doesn't convince me.

micky

Post by micky »

Found what the 3 unknown circuits were and was able to replace them. One was the toilet, port side 12v lights and the other wire disappeared into the bilge so that one was eliminated. So now officially EVERYTHING has been rewired. I'm still waiting for the lost package so I can wire a 12v blower, the battery charger and a receptacle for the outside.
After I was finish with the wiring, I started to make the frame for the inside floor. I installed the outside perimeter wood. A 2" x 12" was installed in the back bulkhead with a 2" x 6" in front of it and a 2" x 4" on the left and right. The floor will have a slope towards the back. Also installed the battery switches to see how they look where I want them.

micky

Post by micky »

Not much done today, installed the battery charger on the bathroom's closet, under the electrical panel, when I was going to connect the 110v, look what I found (see pic). It was connected that way. After that, put some straps on some wires and sealed 2 holes with fiberglass.

The package with the wire I need to finish wiring the windlass and battery charges is still lost. Opened a claim with USPS.

micky

Post by micky »

Started the day today by gluing with cabosil 2 pieces (5" x 5") of marine plywood to the engine room's blower exhaust so I could attach the exhaust hose. While that dried out, I cut out 2 pieces of 3/4 pvc that go to the front corners of the engine room, on the stbd. side goes the water maker and on the port side goes the generator's muffler. Tomorrow I'm sanding it and putting 2 layers of fiberglass on top of them tabbed into the hull side. After making these shelves I installed the blowers, a 12v on the stbd side to use while running, and a 120v on the port side, right in between the generator exhaust and the muffler, this one is connected to the generator's selector switch so as soon as the generator's is on, the blower will come on.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Micky

Moving right along. Pretty soon she will be pretty.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
micky

Post by micky »

Finally the lost package arrived yesterday. Today I wired the house batteries to the main panel, the windlass, the engine's selector switches, the battery charger and all the underwater metals bonding system. Only thing that needs to be wired is the generator and a wire for the bonding system from one bus bat to the other (wire should come in on monday). After finishing with the wires, decided to do something with the engine air intakes. Decided to seal the openings and do something different.

The look I'm going for:

What was installed before:

Process started:

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Based on the professional quality of the work shown in your posts, I’m sure you’ve checked the specs on required area for air induction for your new engines. Needless to say, diesels don’t like to be starved for air; and salt ingestion is not good good. You work faster than most, and your quality looks to be excellent. Keep up the great job.
micky

Post by micky »

Hey Tommy,

That boat is from a member here (34Hatt). He has Cummins 330 and I’m going with Yanmar 250 so I shouldn’t have any problems.
Carl

Post by Carl »

It's a nice look and this would be the time to do it.

Keep chugging away at it and you'll be in before me...
micky

Post by micky »

I fiberglassed the 2 pieces today but my computer died so can’t upload pics.
micky

Post by micky »

Was able to put 2 layers of mat on the outside today, after it dried, it was sanded and put a layer of marglass on 1 side and half the other side (ran out of it). So tomorrow I’ll finish with the marglass, sand everything and cut the holes. Also made the mold today to cut the holes.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If there's no pictures...did it really happen?

LOL...keep at it I'm sure its looking as good or better then all the other enhancements you've made.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Micky,

How do you post the pics so they show directly instead of how I do it and it just shows a link?
Pls use human language lol!
micky

Post by micky »

How do you post the pics so they show directly instead of how I do it and it just shows a link?
Yannis,

I upload them into imgur.com and then copy the link and paste it here.
micky

Post by micky »

Carl, you can see them here:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... ct-13.html
Carl

Post by Carl »

micky wrote: Carl, you can see them here:

Oh sure...share the pictures with your "real" friends...

LOL...ya know I was just pulling your leg right?
When the time comes and you can post pics..great. Otherwise we can sit and wait...but not longer the a day or two at the most.

Kidding...keep at it, we'll catch up when the time is right. But thanks...looks great.
Curious to see how you make the diverter box after.
micky

Post by micky »

Finished both sides today, they came out pretty good, still need to install the inside splashguard which will be done tomorrow as I had to make them taller.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Micky..

Looks amazing .. when youre done let me know .. I've got a 34 trunk cabin you make into a billfish style .. and then .. a custom 41 express planter box that will test your skills ..... lol
micky

Post by micky »

Splashguards are finished:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... st13558891

Thud, post some pics of the 2 hatts or send them to my email: michaelkbrunelle@gmail.com

Still without a computer, trying to save the one I have but also ordered another one.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Timmy

They finally let you out? You have been AWOL for a while. Hope all is well.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Micky-
Before I say nice job

I have to thank Catptain Patrick, Bruce and Mr. Mean Mike for making and keeping the Sandbox Ad Free.

Maybe it's just this old IPad, but trying to follow Micky's pictures on that other forum had "pop up" after "pop up" covering what I was trying to see. Only way to get past had me clicking and getting sent to advertises pages. Then going back had page reloading with more pop ups with screen getting moved around to fit other ads... while I was glad to see what I went there to see, I have to say It's a pleasure not having to deal with that BS on such a mass scale. Thank you.

Micky, Nice job!
That really doesn't cut it though. What I find hysterical is you decided a couple days ago that you wanted to incorporate that intake design to your project. If it was me, I'd be just starting the research stage of is there something I can buy, how I could make. where I'd want to install, play with sizes..then move onto prep. In short, I'd be close to almost starting and your mostly done.

Good for you! Keep it going!

...and thanks for sharing.
micky

Post by micky »

Primed everything today and installed the bus bars to connect the engines.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... st13561664
micky

Post by micky »

Past week's update: Not in order.

micky

Post by micky »

Todays job:

micky

Post by micky »

Second station (now storage) is ready for primer.

micky

Post by micky »

Haven't done too much these last few days, last thursday and friday fixed the swim platform which hit the dock in Maria, Saturday, wired the music amplifier to the bridge and also took 12V to the bridge. Today made the mold to cast 3 clam shells and made 1 clam shell, tomorrow I'll make the other 2.

Mold:

First one:

micky

Post by micky »

Started fairing the bottom. Took me about 2.5 hours to put the Awlfair in the hull bottom. Tomorrow I'll start sanding it.

micky

Post by micky »

Generator has been installed and connected, muffler and holding tank has also been installed. Just need to plumb everything. I'm waiting for the toilet so that I can measure the hoses.

micky

Post by micky »

Sanded the port side bottom today in about 3.5 hrs. I'm soooooore. STBD side goes tomorrow. Also moved all the boat stands to put the awlfair where they were. Also applied the first coat of awlfair to the back bulkhead.

micky

Post by micky »

Sanded the STBD side today, this one took me 5.5 hrs.

John Swick

Post by John Swick »

You are a machine!!
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
micky

Post by micky »

My job put me in furlough because of the virus so I’m investing my time on the boat to be able to do as much as possible because once I start to work again its only weekends to work on the boat.