1968 Hatteras 34 project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

micky

Re: 1968 Hatteras 34 project

Post by micky »

Tony Meola wrote:Just keep thinking about how good she will look when you are done and you will forget all the aches and pains.
That's all I'm thinking. :-D :-D
micky

Post by micky »

Finished with all the sanding last weekend. The whole boat is sanded and started priming today. Was only able to prime the hull sides as it was going to rain.

Should finish priming next weekend if it doesn't rain.
micky

Post by micky »

6 month without touching her.....

In August I started replacing the transom and painting the inside of my Mako 25, finished all that work and have been using it every weekend. Was tired of working with fiberglass and sanding. Yesterday started sanding what was left on the Hatt and finished today. She should be primed next weekend. I'll keep updating the thread.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sometimes its just good to get away for awhile and clear the head.
micky

Post by micky »

Almost done with the primer. Only area left to prime is the back wall and back deck.

micky

Post by micky »

She's all primed.

kross1

Post by kross1 »

Looks good.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
micky

Post by micky »

Saturday started filling all small details with filler and sanding them. Should finish the sanding in 1-2 weekends and then priming them again.

micky

Post by micky »

Finally, she's under a roof so I can keep sanding and painting without getting tired and burned.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Keep at it. She is looking better and better.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Wow...alot of work went into that!

So a roof overhead I get how it will stop you from getting burnt...but for the life of me I can't tie a roof overhead to not getting tired.

Keep at it, can't wait to see pics of you cruising in her.
micky

Post by micky »

Finished sanding the 3m filler on the port side, stbd. side to be sanded tomorrow. After this, prime all the filler and start working on the window frames (removal, prime and seal).

micky

Post by micky »

Finished sanding the 3m filler on the starboard side completely, also found a lot of small details that are now filled. All left to fill and sand is below the flotation line on the port side which will be done tomorrow. I don't feel my arms anymore............

micky

Post by micky »

Finished sanding everything today, also closed the holes for the dual controls and opened the holes for the single controls. For last, made some brackets in coosa board as the top sides in the back bend a little bit when you step on them.

Carl

Post by Carl »

...is it just me?

My arms start to ache as I look through these pictures, happen to anyone else?
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Carl wrote:...is it just me?

My arms start to ache as I look through these pictures, happen to anyone else?
Oh, ya. I've seen that stage before....seems like good exercise for the first 6 months, then it gets hard.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
micky

Post by micky »

Early today I fiberglassed the brackets that I made yesterday, still need to sand and fair them. After that started removing one of the side window frames as both are leaking. Removed one, sanded the fiberglass where the frame attaches to the hull, cleaned the frame with the pressure washer and painted it with zinc cromate before installing it back. When I was removing it I found that all the framing around the window was completely rotted due to the water leak so removed all the rotted wood and made the pieces with pvc board. Also the frame was held in place with screws and replaced those with nuts and bolts. Used sikaflex to seal the windows.

THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Mickey
I have been following your project from your first post. I have to say you are UNBELIEVABLE.
My wife and I come to Culebra, Puerto Rico occasionally and on our next trip maybe in late May or early June as I think we are adopting another sato from Culebra. I would love to meet you and see the boat. Are you located near Fajardo or Ceiba.
I guess it will be finished by then at the rate you are going and will have it in the water. You are like a machine.
Have a Medalla and take a break.
The Salty Sato
micky

Post by micky »

THESALTYSATO wrote:Mickey
I have been following your project from your first post. I have to say you are UNBELIEVABLE.
My wife and I come to Culebra, Puerto Rico occasionally and on our next trip maybe in late May or early June as I think we are adopting another sato from Culebra. I would love to meet you and see the boat. Are you located near Fajardo or Ceiba.
I guess it will be finished by then at the rate you are going and will have it in the water. You are like a machine.
Have a Medalla and take a break.
The Salty Sato
Hey!!, I live in San Juan. All the progress you see is because I'm on vacation from work. hehehe. Let me know when you have a date of coming here.
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Mickey
Thanks for the response. I will let you know when i am coming. My wife was just in Culebra for 2 weeks and she found another sato that we think will be available in late May or June. The pictures that you have of your boat and the surroundings look alot like the boat might be near Ceiba or near old Rosie Roads or the airport there. Again thanks for sharing your project with the sandbox. With all of the hits you can tell you have a large following that are impressed with what you have undertaken and the progress you have made. I will keep in touch. Dios te bendiga
micky

Post by micky »

Did the other window today, this one was way more rotted than the first one, removed all the rotted wood in the framing, including part of the bathroom closet wall. Also did some small fiberglass work, on Saturday a guy is coming to blast the bottom (dustless blasting method) and on Sunday my plan is to re-prime all the areas where I worked. After all this is done, my plan is to leave it in primer and star with the interior, from the v-berth towards the salon.

micky

Post by micky »

Today I faired the brackets that I made for the back, replaced the piece of plywood that I had to cut yesterday (closet wall) and removed the back wall as it was completely rotted.

What's the recommended material to fabricate the back wall?

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Coors board or dyvinacell.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
micky

Post by micky »

Unfortunately, no one sells coosa board here in PR. I redid the transom on my Mako last August and bought the coosa in FL ans shipped it here, shipping and taxes were almost the same as the sheet, too expensive.
Today the blaster came and blasted the bottom, it has to be completely faired and sealed but not 1 single blister, it does have a few old repairs. Also, I'll be building the back wall using 1" thick pvc board with a 1708 on each side. Bought them today and already have one ready for fiberglass. The other one will be fabricated on monday. I'm torn between putting the glass back in them, no glass means no leak, but don't know how its going to look. At least the doors do have a big glass.

Doors to be installed (2 sliding doors)
Last edited by micky on Mar 15th, '20, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Micky,

Too bad about the Coosa board availability. That’s what I was going to suggest as well.

I’ve been following along with your updates. You’ve made a tremendous amount of progress. It’s really looking good. That’s going to be a great looking boat when you’re done.

Danny
micky

Post by micky »

Today I put the layer of 1708 on one of the sides of the 1" pvc. Tomorrow I'll put it on the other side and will fabricate the other part of the wall. Also, re-primed all the details worked on the fiberglass. I saw more details so I'll do them this week and re-prime them once again.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Micky,

I don't know how you use your boat, but seeing that you have the forward windows already glassed in, perhaps you should put two new windows in the aft bulkhead. As for the dripping issue, If you do the job right I doubt that they will leak, given they are somehow protected from above and they are not exposed to full blasts while underway.
You’re almost there!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
micky

Post by micky »

A lot of things were done today. Started the day filling all the imperfections on the hull and now they are ready for the last coat of primer. After that, put the other layer of 1708 on the back wall. Once that was in the sun I cut a replacement wall for the anchor locker as the original is rotted, I already covered the new one in resin on one of the sides. Also removed the foam and vinyl covering on both sides on the v-berth, the foam was black because of the mildew as the railing was leaking. Finally, cut the other side of the back wall.

micky

Post by micky »

Long list today. Covered the second half of the back wall with 1708 on both sides. After that replaced the anchor locker wall as the old one was rotted and also installed the laminate (forget about the edges, they will be covered). After that, made a shelf to place the small oven under the stove, still need to see what to do to cover the space under and on top of the oven, and lastly, started replacing the laminate on the kitchen, did 4 small sliding doors, they didn't have laminate, they were gelcoated but it starting to get yellow, so sanded the gelcoat completely off and put the laminate and while doing that, found some rotten wood around the microwave and replaced it and also laminated it. Today I'm dead...

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Wow. You did a ton of work in a short period. Keep it up, you will be there before you know it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Micky,

There is tremendous space behind that galley. Why don't you just demolish the whole thing and move it at least half to one meter back? Sure, some additional work, but your new galley will be new and you’ll create a lot of floor space.
micky

Post by micky »

Yannis wrote:Micky,

There is tremendous space behind that galley. Why don't you just demolish the whole thing and move it at least half to one meter back? Sure, some additional work, but your new galley will be new and you’ll create a lot of floor space.
Yannis, there isn't a lot of space behind the galley plus I don't want to get into that trouble right now. I'll use it a few years like it is and then will consider replacing it. Right now I still have a lot of work and because of the coronavirus quarantine not a single store is open for 2 weeks so can't buy some materials I need to continue with the project. I'm doing all the small stuff I can with what I have.

Today, I fabricated the interior of the bathroom's closet as it had a lot of rotten wood because of the leaking windows. Everything was done with 1/2" PVC sheets. No more rot and nobody will see it as its the interior. Also replaced the counter on the galley, when I removed the old laminate, some of the wood came with it so the counter had pieces missing. Still need to laminate the counter. After that, I laminated 2 of the walls in the salon. Also ripped out all the vinyl flooring in the salon, that thing weighted over 100 pounds all together.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

By looking at what looks like a microwave, I assumed there is quite some depth behind the galley assembly, but if you're saying the opposite of course you know better.

As for the two week period of the quarantine....I’m afraid you got to be prepared for more. Looks like more like one to two months... Be safe, stay at home, good luck.
micky

Post by micky »

Yesterday didn't do much as I was really tired but managed to remove all the floor in the salon, everything was rotted. I'll be replacing the framing with 3" x 3" aluminum angles (already did it this way in another boat I had) and the boards (red line in pic) with 3/4" PVC board. The right and left side boards go covered with a wall in front of them so no issues there but the board for the main entrance will be well supported from underneath.

Anybody has a pair of Yanmars 240's for sale? Now its easy to remove the Detroits.

micky

Post by micky »

Today was wire day, started by replacing the 2 main lines from the shore power to the 2 distribution panels as wiring was original. While replacing that, I saw that there were A LOT of wires hanging loose everywhere so started following them and cutting them at the power source. I've must have removed over 100 pounds in wire. Once I finished that, decided to take out the mufflers and hoses as they were sucked in and the hose reducers looked BAD.

Carl

Post by Carl »

Hatteras did love their red wire.
I remember helping dad trace a bad wire going up to the bridge on his 28. Can you see the RED wire? Yeah, they are ALL RED finding an 1-1/2" bundle of all red wires heading up there. So many wires cut at both ends he had to pull much of it out...just not all which he should have as it was always an issue for him. Lots of work, but your doing it right.

I think you have a bad case of job creep. ...but your tackling it with a vigor I'm not used to seeing. Good for you.
micky

Post by micky »

Carl wrote:Hatteras did love their red wire.
I remember helping dad trace a bad wire going up to the bridge on his 28. Can you see the RED wire? Yeah, they are ALL RED finding an 1-1/2" bundle of all red wires heading up there. So many wires cut at both ends he had to pull much of it out...just not all which he should have as it was always an issue for him. Lots of work, but your doing it right.

I think you have a bad case of job creep. ...but your tackling it with a vigor I'm not used to seeing. Good for you.
Yes and for the 120v wires they used green for both hot wires and white for grounds. I like things done right the first time so that I don’t have to do it twice.
micky

Post by micky »

Bought a pair of Yanmars 250hp today. Disconnected everything off the Detroits and they are ready to come out, either tomorrow or friday.
Carl

Post by Carl »

micky wrote: I like things done right the first time so that I don’t have to do it twice.

Wasn't it Sept of 2018 you were just cleaning up the motors, changing thru hulls and repairing a little storm damage to get her going...before you hauled it off to your dads place.

Small dig on the job creep, sorry.

For what its worth, pulling the ole 453T's for Yanmars will put that boat in a new category, that boat should fly with that hp and this is the time to do it.

Best of luck and keep moving forward!
micky

Post by micky »

Everything you say its correct. Cruising should be around 19 knots.
Carl

Post by Carl »

19 knots I think would be a conservative cruise.
Nice flat bottom, more hp at at what, almost half the weight on the motors?

Once those boats come up out of the water and start riding on that flat bottom...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Micky,

A few years back, before I bought my boat, I was contemplating building a new boat at a yard, at which point I asked and got an estimate for one Yanmar 240/250, identical to the ones I got in my Bertram a few years later.
I wonder how much these very motors cost today in the US! Out of my memory I think that estimate was around €23k. I don't remember if they included the trannies.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Timmy and I had a friend who had a 34 with 300 Cummins. It did 26 knots at cruise. I'm guessing that if it's set up right, you're going to cruise at 22 with 250's.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
micky

Post by micky »

Yannis wrote:Micky,

A few years back, before I bought my boat, I was contemplating building a new boat at a yard, at which point I asked and got an estimate for one Yanmar 240/250, identical to the ones I got in my Bertram a few years later.
I wonder how much these very motors cost today in the US! Out of my memory I think that estimate was around €23k. I don't remember if they included the trannies.
I paid $20k for them with transmissions and engine mounts. They are used.
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:Timmy and I had a friend who had a 34 with 300 Cummins. It did 26 knots at cruise. I'm guessing that if it's set up right, you're going to cruise at 22 with 250's.

Mike- - You know nobody is going to believe you when you start off by saying you had a friend.

...and Carl makes his move towards the Mean Team?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Excellent work, my friend.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

micky wrote: I paid $20k for them with transmissions and engine mounts. They are used.

Sssh...you can get locked up for stealing.

How many hours? Gauges, panels and harnesses too?
micky

Post by micky »

The guys from general propeller told me that if she weights 20k lbs top speed should be 27 knots.
micky

Post by micky »

Finally removed the whole floor, also strapped all wires like they are supposed to go. Tomorrow the engines are coming out, they are already loose and disconnected.

Carl

Post by Carl »

micky wrote:The guys from general propeller told me that if she weights 20k lbs top speed should be 27 knots.

20k sounds light, my dads 1966, 28' is 18K.