Flybridge Windscreen/Windhsield

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Flybridge Windscreen/Windhsield

Post by jackryan »

I need the small windshield/windscreen that sits on the top edge of the flybridge. I think Capt. Patrick used to make them--I found this article in the archives of the old B31 site: http://www.bertram31.com/parts/windshield2.htm
I checked the High Tide Marine website and didn't see them advertised there. Anyone know where I can find one of these?

Thanks,

JR
Yannis

Re: Flybridge Windscreen/Windhsield

Post by Yannis »

John,

Please allow me to say that the inverse angled fairing of the 28 is much beter looking and much more effective.
I would put one of those...

Good luck !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

I believe American Marine windows and Doors masde them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I took my old frame to the local glass company and they made me one out of plexiglass. That was 2004 it’s still just fine, they drilled the holes on the bottom and fit it in the frame. Clear not coke bottle green but looks and works great!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks for the responses guys,

I sent an email to American Marine Windows and Doors and am waiting for a reply. I currently have a large inverse angle windscreen on the boat (the plexiglas is old and cracking), so I don't have a templet to bring a fabricator to make a new one. I do like the function of the inverse angle wind screen, but I wanted to go back to the original look. I will be needing the windshield and the frame as well, since I don't have the original. I'll make another post here if I am able to find one at American Marine Windows and Doors.

JR
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

I have an old original in my garage attic, it’s yours should you choose. We can work out shipping if you’d like. EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

Way back when, Stone Harbor Yacht sales used to add an additional piece across the top to help deflect spray. If you have one made up that is something to think about.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

I also have access to that deflector piece Tony is talking about. Believe it is made out of louan.
EarleyBird
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pat had the originals made by a company for a short time but he stopped as the price got stupid.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Guys,

As usual, amazing about of knowledge here. Tony, I hadn't seen the deflector that you are talking about. I think the previous owner of my boat was trying to create a windshield that would deflect more spray and wind than the original. He succeeded, but I like the way the original one looks--I guess with the deflector, I may be able to get the best of both worlds.

EarleyBird, Thanks so much for the offer, I sent you a PM.

JR
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Earlier I mentioned that I have access to the deflector piece made of louan. I do, but it is a pattern made of louan so you can cut your own piece or have one made. Then I guess all you would need is the 90 degree angle pieces that attach the deflector to the windshield. Without measuring, mine I would say are approximately half inch wide by inch and a quarter, stainless.
romeomikehotel

Post by romeomikehotel »

I know I’m digging up an old one here but this is the top post on google so I’m hoping this can help the next guy who comes along with the windshield problem.
I just made a replacement windshield for my b28 that got broken in transport. Used the old broken pieces to trace out on a “bronze” piece of acrylic plexiglass, about 1/8” thick that I purchased on eBay for $100. 15”x96” was more than enough.
I used an oscillating tool after realizing that a jig saw would only crack the plastic. The oscillating tool with a carbide attachment was great for tracing and cutting without cracking it. Then used a dremel with the stone cone shaped bit to drill out the mounting holes. This did a good job of melting the edges of the holes to prevent cracking.

The downside here is that mine doesn’t wrap around at all and that may prove detrimental in the long run but there’s only one way to find out. I was, though, able to match the windshield to the color of my boat which was a plus.

Now just need to attach photos:

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Interesting option.

I wonder if he could have heated it to get the bend.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

The beauty of the original and Capt. Pat’s design was the bubble lens combined with the wrap around design, and that is very hard to produce.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looking sharp!
romeomikehotel

Post by romeomikehotel »

Unfortunately I broke the new windshield 1st time out on the trailer on a low hanging tree. Won’t be remaking it until she’s safely at home in her slip and off the trailer.

But she ran ok after a year on the hard.
https://youtu.be/WSfh3pzJ4q0
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

I made mine out of a piece of smoked plexiglass. No frame but I still looks good. I used my old one as a template to trace out the shape on paper. Them I cut it out of the flat piece of plexiglass. I put the ends in the oven one a time until they got "floppy" and draped them over my old one to make the correct bend. You would just need the two bronze end pieces or fabricate something. Bought the bottom "gasket." You can use mine as a template if you want. Boat is in Belle Chasse at the moment, but I am moving it back to Venice sometime next month...
Marshall Mahoney

I think I still have the paper template
Marshall Mahoney

I just realized I was responding to Jack from 2018 . Oops -- sorry for the late response Jack!
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks for the reply Marshall, better late that never!!

JR