anchor windlass advice needed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

anchor windlass advice needed

Post by Amberjack »

Hello All--

I spent most of last August flat on my back after an anchor handling incident so an anchor windlass installation is in order this year. It's hard to get a grip on what would work best on Amberjack (B31 FBC) so I'm reaching out for advice. Lewmar 700 Pro-Fisherman and Lewmar 1000 are mentioned a lot but also have some negative reviews about quality. If any care to offer input, positive or negative, about their anchor windlass experience I'd like to hear it.

Thank everyone!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
ed c.

Re: anchor windlass advice needed

Post by ed c. »

I have tried them all and I think the Good windlass is the best one on the market. 609-698-4402, Barnegat, NJ. Good Luck
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I've had an Ideal vertical capstan on my boat for 28 years with no issues.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Do u have a pulpit
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Hi Marlin--no pulpit, still have the original chrome bow chock/running lights which it will break my heart to remove. That will be replaced with a stainless steel bow roller.

My preference would be to go with a horizontal mount windlass but I'll have to take a look at how much offset from the centerline will be required to line up the gypsy. Its a small foredeck so I don't want to get too lopsided.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I’m all about safe boating and would never consider anything that requires someone to walk out to the bow in bad seas. I control the anchor from the bridge such as the Good system. I would only use the bow anchor in an emergency situation, always work the anchoring from the stern and only in reasonable seas. Lost one real expensive anchor in the rocks / coral off key west, now we use aluminum grapple anchors that can be rebent, we tie the chain to the shank of the anchor with 2wire ties, maneuver the boat, use the anchor ball system ,pop it comes up
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Thanks Ed and Tooez. Everybody likes the Good windlass but they don't have a distributor on the West Coast and I'm not getting a lot of response from the manufacturer so I may have to give it a pass. I've seen Ideal windlasses around over the years and will look into them. They also sound like the real deal.

Marlin, I misspoke when I said Amberjack did not have a pulpit, was thinking bowsprit at the time--probably leftover sailboat DNA in my system. Amberjack does have a pulpit but it's still an exposed walk along the side deck once past the grab rail on the bridge coaming. So I agree with you, we'll run the windlass from the bridge.

Right now the boat carries 300' of 9/16" line, 60' of 3/8" chain and a 22 lb Dansforth. That seems like a lot of gear but after waking up early one morning drifting in the middle of San Juan Channel with the anchor line straight down heavier tackle seemed like a good idea. I was on the bow, just a quick pair of pants, retrieving the anchor when a goeducker came running up at full speed thinking they were going to claim a salvage. They were visibly disappointed and I swear painted on the side of their deck house was "Klubhous--no gurlz allowed!" I think the misspellings were intentional but you never know with those guys, they're a pretty unruly bunch.

Anyway Seattle Boat Show this week and time to make some decisions to be up and running for this spring.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820