new b35 in the Bahamas now

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Swick

new b35 in the Bahamas now

Post by John Swick »

I heard it was headed to the Bahamas for the holidays.
Anyone know where it is now?
Thanks John
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Navatech

Re: new b35 in the Bahamas now

Post by Navatech »

My bet is that it will eventually show up at the Miami International Boat Show... February 16-20, 2017...
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Forgot, I downloaded their ghost tracker software a week or so ago.
It's in nassau/paradise island at I think hurricane hole marina. Going to head down there later today or tomorrow.
Will keep you posted.
A happy holiday season to all.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

John Swick wrote:Forgot, I downloaded their ghost tracker software a week or so ago.
It's in nassau/paradise island at I think hurricane hole marina. Going to head down there later today or tomorrow.
Will keep you posted.
A happy holiday season to all.
Pictures pretty please!...
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

I have been reading about this boat in different venues for about 2 months. If it is so great how come there are not more of them around?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ed

It takes time to design and build the first one, then you need to show it to get orders and by the way, in between they needed to find a new home to build the future boats and restore a broken company.

Lets give them a shot before we get on their case.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

ed c. wrote:If it is so great how come there are not more of them around?
You're being too harsh... They just finished developing this boat... Then they had to find a place to actually build them... In the mean time they've had to work on resurrecting from the dead a once great company... It's an up hill battle all the way...
Carl

Post by Carl »

ed c. wrote:I have been reading about this boat in different venues for about 2 months. If it is so great how come there are not more of them around?

My guess is this is a prototype, a sample, built as a one off, a fully custom boat, it was done to prove a new design concept. The cost to make in this manner is astronomically more expensive then a boat that was geared up to for production, even limited production as a semi custom.
While it cost more for a one off, they can get real feedback from potential customers and tweak design before committing to building the dedicated tooling for production.

An example from my business...If I need to drill holes at set locations accurately, I dial in the piece on a milling machine, spot hole, then drill. One set of holes can take 20-30 minutes. IF I need to do that to a few hundred parts, I make a drill fixture that will allow me to drill the holes in 2 minutes....but it may take me the better part of the day to make the fixture, plus cost of drill bushings. That is only a simple drill jig...
Multiple the time to make the tooling by the hundreds of pieces of tools they would need on a boat and you can see how that gets expensive quickly especially if you decide to alter the design before going into production.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

I did get out on Mr Gavio's boat (#1) last week.
Very solid and whole boat reeks with quality.
Some may balk at the ~$700k price tag but you get what you pay for, and it's inline with the competition.
Just not in the budget for me at this time.
Yes you could completely trick out a B31 for less, but this is a 35' 40 knot bigger brother, not a B31.
“It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.” — Ferris

Hull #2 and #3 are at Bertram's new Tampa FL facility and almost ready for delivery.
I'm told they have deposits on 5 or 6 boats at this time.
Can't wait to see the new Bahia Mar configuration but that's pure dreaming and speculation on my part.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Looks like a pair C-7 Caterpillars... And they look miserable to work on... Pretty limited access as far as I can see from the picture...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nav

If you can afford the coin, you would probably not be worried about climbing around those engines. You will have someone else do it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:If you can afford the coin, you would probably not be worried about climbing around those engines. You will have someone else do it.
First, I'm a greasemonkey... So that's what jumps out at me... Second, what happens when you (or I) break down underway?!... Third, in my experience, when access is hard even the paid staff won't be doing the best possible job... Further increasing the risk of breakdown underway...

Last but not least, a decade or two down the road even a plebe like me will be able to buy a used one <grin>

Having said that, vessels are always a compromise... There is limited "real estate" to work with... I'm sure the people at the renewed Bertram thought long and hard and they figured that this was the best place for the engines considering their perceived market... From this follows the decision to go with V drives (the only other option considering the placement of the engines would have been I/O or jets)... Time will tell whether they went for the right compromise... I, for one, wish them well!...
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Engine access did come up in my conversation with the Captain.
There is a split deck design option similar to the B31 that allows one side or the other to be opened independently.
At least one of the other boats has gone with that option.
This is Gavio's boat and it's optioned out the way he wanted it.
These are built to order boats (not off the shelf).
Tommy and the others at Bertram seem very open to constructive criticism.......they want to hear it.
Those are C7's and the other B35's have gone with more powerful engines, but I'm not sure why.

In person, the dark blue hull is not very flattering to this boat in my opinion, but to each there own.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

John Swick wrote:There is a split deck design option similar to the B31 that allows one side or the other to be opened independently. At least one of the other boats has gone with that option.
Good to know...
John Swick wrote:Those are C7's and the other B35's have gone with more powerful engines, but I'm not sure why.
Some people like speed... And can afford the fuel cost... Some people prefer somewhat bigger engines as underpowered (relatively or absolutely) engines won't last as long...
John Swick wrote:In person, the dark blue hull is not very flattering to this boat in my opinion, but to each there own.
Dark hulls "attract" more heat and are higher maintenance... But, as you say, to each their own...
Carl

Post by Carl »

I love the idea of one big raise-able hatch as it is a clean look and in theory gives you lots of quick access to the motors.

But my head cannot wrap around the problem that these hatches are miserable to lift if power goes out...you can't stand and see helm when working on motors. I always fear the rams or mounts will break. They tend to be in the way. Those engines look crammed and unless you have a anal owner and or mechanic to work on them expect those hard to reach areas to be less maintained. Not such a problem for new owner...till it becomes a problem.

Then again...I am in the crowd of people buying mostly older boats or dealing with mechanics having to deal with the problems; so me having a biased opinion is to say the very least.
Has to be tough weighing the options...glad I only have to stand back and be a Monday morning quarterback.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

A buddy of mine owns a 30 or 31 Albemarle. He raises all the top part of the deck (helm plus outside setee plus the other side seat) to reach the motors, and then, he has no access to the cabin to go fetch this or that, he cannot go to the helm to start the motors or monitor the meters, plus, one time he had an electrical failure while his mechanic was inside the engine room and was calling for help from down under, plus, he always needs that broomstick to secure this huge hatch just in case something goes sour again with the ram,....., in other words this opening system is a deal breaker really.
I prefer the 28 or 31 simple rusted hinges...the ones you pry open with the tip of the screwdriver when theyre a bit twisted !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Nice enough looking boat, but in my opinion doesn't have the aesthetic lines of a 31 and I am sure doesn't have the build strength and longevity of the originals.
It is a modern copy of a classic boat, and just as modern copies of classic cars, it will not stand the test of time like the originals have.
One should not compare apples with pears.
That's why I am investing time and money restoring an original. It will still be good in 30 years. Can't say the same for the 35.

$700k? That would certainly build you a "dream" 31!!
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
Carl

Post by Carl »

David Davidson wrote: $700k? That would certainly build you a "dream" 31!!

That it would, but it would still only be a 31' boat.
I love my 31' but if I had one thing I could change, that would be a little more cabin/storage room without sacrificing the cockpit.
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

Didn’t they stretch the 31’ to 35' on the outboard powered 31 featured in the Florida Sportsman video? As I remember it they had about 500K in that restoration. Todd

Edit--P.S. here is the link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tazTfjJqGf4

price was 570K
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

On the hull truth they posted some pics of a white bull (hull #3?) rigged with hardtop and outriggers looks pretty good...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Craig Mac wrote:On the hull truth they posted some pics of a white bull (hull #3?) rigged with hardtop and outriggers looks pretty good...
I think you're referring to these pictures:

Carl

Post by Carl »

Custom bridge?
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

ghost watch hd
remoteinternetvideo.com
login
moppie35
password
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

1962 31 wrote:ghost watch hd
remoteinternetvideo.com
login
moppie35
password
NEAT!... WiFi or SIM (data)?!...

scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Looks pretty cool. Kind of resembles some lines of a B28 but has a windshield of a 31. The hatch covers are B31like as well (even though they lift as a unit). JMO
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET