35 Moppie at Newport Show

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stuart Cooperrider

35 Moppie at Newport Show

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

Wish I was able to post images since I took a few so I'll describe my visit to the 35 at the show.
Big crowd. The 35 got special mention at the show along with about 15 other "new" additions. What a great looking boat. So here's what was most interesting. About 50 yards off the Bertram 35 was a 31 at a mooring. The 35 had a dark hull color as the the 31 at mooring. I took several pics. I asked one of the Bertram booth attendees, jokingly, if that was arranged. She admitted it was coincidence. Much larger inside that I'd expected. Forget about ride,etc...compared to Legacy 32 and Backcove and several others in the size range It was tough to gauge. The Bertram's berth was cross wise like the 30 Moppie and not nearly as accessible as a centered berth. Also not as large. So pitching the wife and/or family would be a challenge were this positioned as a fishing/weekend boat. So much competition.
Overheard at the show was that LM was appropriate for the models but who would be the best partner the rollout? Did I hear this correctly? LSS, great looking lines.
Tony Meola

Re: 35 Moppie at Newport Show

Post by Tony Meola »

Stuart

Thanks for the update. Going to see if I can get to the AC show to see it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Stuart Cooperrider wrote:Wish I was able to post images since I took a few so I'll describe my visit to the 35 at the show.
Big crowd. The 35 got special mention at the show along with about 15 other "new" additions. What a great looking boat. So here's what was most interesting. About 50 yards off the Bertram 35 was a 31 at a mooring. The 35 had a dark hull color as the the 31 at mooring. I took several pics. I asked one of the Bertram booth attendees, jokingly, if that was arranged. She admitted it was coincidence. Much larger inside that I'd expected. Forget about ride,etc...compared to Legacy 32 and Backcove and several others in the size range It was tough to gauge. The Bertram's berth was cross wise like the 30 Moppie and not nearly as accessible as a centered berth. Also not as large. So pitching the wife and/or family would be a challenge were this positioned as a fishing/weekend boat. So much competition.
Overheard at the show was that LM was appropriate for the models but who would be the best partner the rollout? Did I hear this correctly? LSS, great looking lines.
Be patient with me, I did have a TBI at one point....what are LM and LSS?

Tom
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Rumor is the price is very high. What power engines are available?
Stuart Cooperrider

Hah! I re-read my post the next day had to think for a minute myself. LM= Lyman Morse, which I definitely should have spelled out as a proper name. Not sure where my head was when I chose to LM it. LSS is Long Story Short.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Looks like LM used stainless for window frames---very nice----just like RIVA did when they produced the 25 under license.
Stuart Cooperrider

Other thing I noticed was the framing of the aft salon door. SS and raised and very secure. Nothing skimped. The Red fsucet handles in the galley were also a sign this was not a delicate boat. Damn things were industrial. Everything shut tightly. Hardware was sturdy. USB ports as part of the AC outlets. Hello? Well done.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

35 was supposed to be in Sag Harbor this weekend, but they cancelled.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

Post by Fishin Tom »

35 Bertram NEWS

I was just informed that the new 35 WILL NOTTT be coming to Atlantic City. After much fanfare and advertising the Bertram group is sending the boat back to the builder for a reported back pressure issue... That's a One awe S>>t!!! Sorry for the disappointment

Tom Oakes, Holtz Boatworks
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

maybe see it in Annapolis? Oct 13-16?
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I stopped at the new Bertram office on 17th street yesterday (wearing one of our shirts-of course) ... they said that they would be at Annapolis and Lauderdale.
Office is small but gorgeous, across from Bennetti and a few doors from Bimini Boatyard restaurant......
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
gplume

Post by gplume »

After seeing the 35 at the show, as well as Doug and his lovely daughter, it ran right by me in the anchorage.
Image[/URL]

Some more shots.
Giff
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I hope to see it in Annapolis.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Excellent. I'll be there Friday or Sat...maybe both days.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Bertram's having a cocktail party at the Annapolis Yacht Club Saturday, October 8 th , 6-9 pm. Planning on being there and hope to meet a few of you as well.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tell them it needs outriggers.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Tell them it needs outriggers.
....a little shape to bridge would be nice too. A shape other then round.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I think it looks great. I would like to see one fish-rigged.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote:I think it looks great. I would like to see one fish-rigged.
Your right, needs to be setup for fishing for the look I like...looks very picnic boaty.

But this is from a guy that would have took picture of our 31, put thru photocopier at 12.685% enlargement then started laying glass. Maybe I'd have added a tad bit more flare to bow.
Change it all to update and modernize, but make sure it remains the same.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I agree Carl, the shearline along the gunwales looks wrong. No rocker to speak of. Unless i am not seeing it. The bridge looks a little bulky but I think I could live with that. Also don't like the black stripe.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Joseph Fikentscher

I also don't have the $700,000.00 to buy one.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:I also don't have the $700,000.00 to buy one.

Then that leaves you along with a bunch of others here that they will never listen too.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:I also don't have the $700,000.00 to buy one.
Tony Meola wrote: Then that leaves you along with a bunch of others here that they will never listen too.

Tony- I am not sure I agree. New Bertram leadership did start their new company paying homage to the 31 building a 35' based on the classic 31's cues. Maybe they just decided to go retro like the car industry did hoping for sales from those boys who couldn't buy the toys they wanted in their younger days...but now they may have some disposable income to buy their dream boat of years gone by, but a more refined modern version.
How many full on, top to bottom refurbs done here on this site? Alot of coin, alot of elbow grease put into each one. Maybe they saw that if guys are spending big bucks refurbing a 50 year old hull they'd go a "few" more bucks to purchase a new, slightly stretched version.
I think they listened and understood what the potential market could be and tailored to that market. If your like me, even at 1/2 that asking price...would you be writing a check today? Then consider what is being sold at half that price...Center Consoles with 3 or 4 chunks of aluminum hanging off the back, a few bucks more and you have a modern classic.

Thinking about retro cars...aside from the 31 Bertram is there any other boat that has such a following that would have a market as retro? Boston Whaler, Old Chris Craft Mahogony boats, Downeasters, Tugs...I've seen those done modern..but different then the 31...I do not recall any other boats restored, refurbished to the degree of our 31's. just wondering...

I think they are listening...I think they see a potential market
Joseph Fikentscher

I think they see a potential market
Carl, I agree. I think they will sell quite a few, but it is out of my league. I will be restoring as much as I can on my boat while spending as little as I can by doing everything myself. Which I prefer anyway. I really like getting my hands dirty. And what better than to be working on a classic, well designed boat, which we and many others appreciate. I am sure that the new 35 will have it's following also and in 20 or so years will still turn heads as they get refurbished.

The things that people on this board have accomplished with their Bertrams are amazing to say the least. Years and years of innovations and improvements that were not capable nor thought of when the first 31's rolled out. Both in function and style. I am sure this will continue with the new 35.

Dug

Post by Dug »

Gif! It was great to see you too, and a wonderful surprise!!

Guys, as of the Newport show, Bertram has 9 boats on order. I don't know if that is good or not, but its a start.

This boat was built for the new owner and is going to be calling the Med home. For the Med I believe this boat is set up perfectly. Gert might be able to answer that better. I understand the next one will be set up more for fishing or at least the kind of boating we experience here in NE. I truly would like to see what one looks like with an enclosure and some spray curtains to start!

She was spacious, comfortably appointed and looked like a great start. For the Newport show, where most of the boats are these honking cruiser style boats or cc's, it was a bit of a good change, but not far of the Hinkley kind of boats they seem to love and we see a lot of. So it fit in. It would have been the ONLY sportfisherman there if that were the way it was appointed, sadly.

But hull #2 is supposed to be outfitted in that fashion. So I am eager to see it!

She's pretty in person. It was nice to see!!!

Dug
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Dug wrote: For the Med I believe this boat is set up perfectly.
Except perhaps for the transformation of the bait well aft, into a ropes locker.

And the addition of a super comfortable couch right beneath it.

I'm also saying that a bit more flare (as sb else has already mentioned) would be most welcome to avoid getting wet in our windy and short wavy seas.

Other than that, blue hulls over here guarantee 8 more additional degrees of heat in the cabin.

Overall, I admit, she's beautiful, but I'd spend 10 times less for a descent diesel 33. Still a Berty and roomier.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Carl wrote: Maybe they just decided to go retro like the car industry did hoping for sales from those boys who couldn't buy the toys they wanted in their younger days...but now they may have some disposable income to buy their dream boat of years gone by, but a more refined modern version.
The car thing worked on me.....

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

mike ohlstein wrote:The car thing worked on me.....
Is that pony black or dark grey?!... Metallic?!...
Carl

Post by Carl »

The car thing worked on my dad too....

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

worked for me
but still wished I had my 72

worked for me
1968 hull # 316 - 757
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Carl wrote:The car thing worked on my dad too....

Nice. The Hellcat....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Navatech wrote: Is that pony black or dark grey?!... Metallic?!...

Black, black interior, black wheels, dark tinted windows, 6.4 liter, 485 HP. Eight speed auto tranny with paddle shifters, and a trunk that makes you think it's 1971.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I dont understand, what is the point to have ANY car that goes beyond 60 in the US. I just dont.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:I dont understand, what is the point to have ANY car that goes beyond 60 in the US. I just dont.
Because you can safely (99% degree of reliability) go 5-10 MPH above the posted speed limit (which in some cases is 65 MPH or even 70 MPH for a total of up to 80 MPH)...

Plus, a car that can only "do" 60 will "tire" prematurely, won't be able to keep even 55 going uphill, tow a boat etc etc etc...

Some people in the US do buy Smart cars, Fiat 500's and other such mini cars... These are mostly (99%) city dwellers...

Also, for some cash you can take your car on racing circuits and push it as far as it will go...
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yannis
there are roads we can we can really let it go
had mine up 100 before the 1/4 mile
2 weeks ago on a nice sunday drive
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:I dont understand, what is the point to have ANY car that goes beyond 60 in the US. I just dont.

Yannis,

....because it makes you smile.

If you think of a car as something to get from here to there...yeah it makes no sense.

Kinda like me and Doreen buying a boat to go offshore fishing, buying poles, tackle, safety gear, electronics, topping off tank with gas, cause we'll need it all, getting up before the crack of dawn to get out to the grounds for the bite...then catching and tossing them all back cause we really just don't like eating fish. Why go through all that trouble and expense? Cause it makes us smile.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Like they said just because. Plus as an added bonus if you are willing to drive, once you get out to the Midwest, the roads are straight and flat and the only ones around to complain are the cows.

You have not lived until you have driven through the dessert. Then the only ones around to complain are the prairie dogs and snakes.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

You give me one of those monster cars you just showed and ask me to do occasionaly 70 and sometimes 80! Wow! Its not even past the second gear ! Like being a lion in a cage...
ALL cars nowadays can easily do 120 miles/h, even the Fiat 500 can, even the smallest or biggest SUV can.
Any car with more than 120hp, can go over the speed limit by 50 miles. You can easily lose your permit (if you dont end up in jail)....just with a normal car.
How much more smile do you need?
But then again...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:You give me one of those monster cars you just showed and ask me to do occasionaly 70 and sometimes 80!
Like I said, you can go 5 MPH above the speed limit with 100% knowledge that no cop will pull you over... In many other areas you can go 10 MPH above the posted limit with 99% knowledge that no cop will pull you over... As long as you're not within city limits the fines are not high at all... And when you're driving with a foreign driver's license most cops will just give you a verbal warning... Oh, and BTW, 80 MPH is 129 Km/h... There is maybe a total of 100 miles where you can legally drive that speed (130 Km/h) in the Netherlands...
Yannis wrote:ALL cars nowadays can easily do 120 miles/h, even the Fiat 500 can, even the smallest or biggest SUV can.
Can all cars do that speed going uphill?!... In the US you can go uphill for hours!... Can you do that speed towing a boat?!... Or a horse trailer?!... Or a caravan?!... And the fact remains that an underpowered car (like an underpowered boat) will "tire" prematurely... As another question, is it really safe to go 120 MPH in a Smart or a Fiat 500?!...
Yannis wrote:Any car with more than 120hp, can go over the speed limit by 50 miles. You can easily lose your permit (if you dont end up in jail)....just with a normal car.
Again, once you're out of the metropolitan areas the US is wide open... You won't go to jail or loose your permit if you're going 90 in a 70 zone...
Yannis wrote:How much more smile do you need?
This is where your European identity shows... The US isn't about how much you NEED but rather about how much you WANT... The US is about working hard, being successful and getting stuff that you WANT rather then stuff that you NEED... But then again, so is Europe except that for some reason in Europe that's somehow "dirty" so they "hide" it...

Do you really need your Berty?!... You don't even fish for pleasure let alone for a living... Do you really need to burn non renewable fossil fuel (and add to "global warming") just for your pleasure?!... Of course you don't (let's leave your mental health outside of the discussion)... One reason many in Europe have sail boats is the cost of fuel... Another reason is that motor boats are viewed as ostentatious... We all know your B28 is really a smallish efficient boat but you know that many in Greece (and elsewhere in Europe) view it as big and wasteful... My point is that, as others have put it, it's about putting a smile on your face!...

When I grew up in the Netherlands (mid 60's and early 70's) American cars were called "pimp" cars... Supposedly because they were ostentatious (too big with too big engines) when larger European cars (Volvo's, Mercs, the bigger Peugeot models etc) were just fractionally smaller and got about the same fuel efficiency...

I can't explain it but for some reason some Europeans love to hate Americans...
Last edited by Navatech on Oct 2nd, '16, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

as carl said it putts a smile on your face
mine is 6 speed on the floor 375 hp cold air induction
the challenger is a fun car to drive
it screams[ open me up]
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mike, Carl, Tony, Charlie, I appreciate your goodwill and manners.
Nav, you're a Med sob, additionally you're half Dutch, by mom if I recall correctly.
It hadn't occured to me that interpretation, thank you for bringing it up.
Cheers.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis- you were close with the lion in a cage analogy.
But sitting in a car with 4,5,6...700hp under your foot is like taming a lion and that somehow equates to a grin on your face.

The talk of needing that much power in "these cars" is absurd...no rational reason...not to go uphill at speed, not to tow a small trailer nor to hit the speed limits or go a few miles an hour faster nor to extend the life of the engine as it will not have to work as hard.
It may be needed to go to a track and drag race...or a quiet street when another muscle car pulls along side( not that anyone here would do that).

It's not that a car is capable of doing 0-60mph (0-100kph) as much as how quick can it go from 0-100kph, how fast can it do the 1/4 mile... We like 0-100kph 0-60 under 10 seconds, 9 is better, but beat by 8. 7 is nice, but 6 is sweet. 5 fantastic and 4 oh boy!

...back to your question of why we need to be able to go faster then allowable by law, why we need to go fast faster then the next guy...why we need so much power under the hood. Answer is we don't need it, we want it and why do we want it...cause it makes us smile.

...and the part I find funny. Dad calls me every week or so to tell me how he took a trip here or there and got 20 or 22mpg...it was 24 for awhile but he stepped on it to pass this or that, got stuck in traffic. His game is to get best mileage...that makes him smile. Kinda wore off on me too...I find myself playing that game on trip back and forth to work with wrangler..let it coast, try not to stop at lights...a slow roll till light changes and ease into gas. I can pickup an extra 2-3mpg. I am even going to supercharge as milage picks up about 2mpg...also doubles hp, but I'm doing for better mileage "wink".

Muscle cars, bigger then needed engines under the hood are an American thing, even our sports cars have always had bigger then needed motors..no real reason it's needed aside from that fact it' makes us smile. No other way I can explain that seems to make sense.

Or another way to put it is with an Old saying

" he who dies with the most toys wins"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

well we really hijacked this thread lol
maybe we should start another
American muscle cars
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Sorry Stuart et al.
Charlie is right.
Love it...
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nice challengers. Friend of mind had a 383 4-speed when we were in HS (I had a 65 GTO). The new ones look great. Outside of the fun driving those cars on the street, especially early on a Sunday when no one is around, you can always legally have a lot of fun at a local drag strip on test and tune night. Too bad Westhampton and National are gone. Any tracks left on LI?
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

no drag strips on the island anymore john
the only race track that's still alive is riverhead stock car
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

Englishtown is the only one I know of around here...

What hyjack? We looked, we talked, we praised, we ripped...we morphed the retro aspect to a new direction.
Alright...maybe a little hyjacking...