The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Goodbye Faithful...

Post by CaptPatrick »

Goodbye My Friends,

My time on earth is soon coming to an end due to a terminal illness.
I wish to thank everyone for their friendship and support of this corner of the web known as Bertram 31.

I go in peace knowing that this web site will continue on and our sandbox will gather old and new together
to celebrate one of the best boats ever made.

I'm in good hands with my family and being well taken care of.

I'll soon be sipping a clear with UV and Walter and we'll talk over good times.

Farewell and best wishes,

Regards,

Capt Patrick McCrary
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
1962 31

Re: Goodbye Faithful...

Post by 1962 31 »

sad news to hear cap
I only met you once but being on here I felt like we were friends already for a long time
your skillful knowledge and beautiful work will live on forever
peace be with you
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Good bye my friend. I've only had the pleasure to meet you twice in Montauk and Harkers Island. You've always been able to answer all my questions, as Uncle Vic was. You had the ability to bring a great many people who have become friends together. I'm glad to hear you are being taken care of by your family. That's important. Good speed, you will be greatly missed. Say hello to Uncle Vic from all of us.

Barbara & Russ
The Barbara Jean
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

I'm really at loss to express myself in words... I'll try anyway and if I botch it, put it down to English not being my first language...

I've met you only once but I felt a certain kinship with you so this is pretty devastating news... Personally, I'm less then convinced that this web site will continue in the long run... So many others have come and gone... The difference was you personally and those are very big shoes to fill... But, and presuming to speak for the membership, we'll definitely try to keep it running... If only as an ode to you!...

Wherever you go - go in peace and may you always have tight lines!!!
Last edited by Navatech on Aug 8th, '16, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I am very sorry to read this today. We will miss you!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Tell those two guys that I say hi.

Smooth seas and fair winds, my dear friend.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Cap,

I am glad to see you at peace with this. You have blessed our lives with this wonderful place and I am so grateful for it.

Enjoy the love of your family and never doubt that this world is a better place because of you!

With love and Grace from the entire Palmieri family...

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Capt Pat,

This news hits hard...

Bittersweet joy knowing you'll be able to enjoy Clears at the new Bertram Rendezvous with UV, Walter and Capt. Dave Kosh...
All good people for sure, thank you for making it possible for all of us meet in this sandbox.
This place has been my little quick getaway, an oasis on a tough day...

Thank you, you will be greatly missed by many, by me.

Something I/we can do for you, please make it known.

Carl
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Cap:

While I've only been in the sandbox for a few short months, it is clear to me that you are the resin behind the cloth not just on this site, but keeping the Bertram 31 family alive and going strong. I've been fortunate to communicate with you on several occasions, and you've been most gracious and helpful.

Pericles once wrote "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

You've helped keep my dreams alive of taking an already nice 31 and making it into a great 31, something that will be here long after I am gone.

Rest easy, we've got it from here.

Bob Norton, Jr.
Dalmatian - Bertram 31
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. i am at a lost for words (that never happen in my life) i feel like i lost my right arm and indeed one of my closest friends.i love you like a brother i just hope you are not suffering just say the word i will be on next flight. i will be doing my best to whole the fort while you are getting your life arranged. brother Bob
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Pat, you are a special friend whom I love dearly and I thank you for all the wonderful times we shared in FL and here in NC. However, most of our time together has been lived out on the B-31 Discussion Board and on the phone. I consider friends to be a gift from God, and I thank God for the wonderful friend that you have been to all of us in the Bertram sandbox that you created.

Regarding the "book-end dates separated by a dash" that frame a person's life here on earth, I share this line from a poem that reflects who you are to all of us:

“It isn’t the date on either end that counts, but how he used the dash, for that dash between the dates represents all the time they spent alive on earth, and now only those who loved them know what that little line is worth.”
Dug

Post by Dug »

Patrick,

I am not sure what to say that hasn't been said, but you know me; not a lot of filter.

I love you my friend. You know that. We've known each other for a long time. 16 years by my count. And during that time you have changed my life. You have introduced me to friends who have become family. You have taught me things that no one else did, and you supported and encouraged me.

I picked up Alchemy from Newport on Saturday after almost 2 years in the barn. I would have never done this project without you. I would have never thought it possible. I am glad you are at peace and I wish you comfort and happiness. You must know how much you will be missed. You are an artist, and a gifted human. And I am choking back tears.

Please tell me if there is anything I can do for you. I know you will say there is not, but I wanted to ask.

We all gotta go, but to go having left a mark in so many people's lives that is so much for the better, well I guess that is the best thing that one could ever hope for.

Thank you so much Pat. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again. I am going to miss you so much. But every time I look to my helm for direction I will think of you crafting the helm pod. And my window frames. And so much, much more. I will think of the friendship, started online and cemented way back in Lauderdale at the flop house. And I will know how truly lucky I have been to know you. My only regret is that you won't get to meet my daughter Olivia in person. But I know you might just keep an eye on us from above with Vic, Walter and good company.

Godspeed my friend. Comfort and peace. I love ya my friend. Thank you for everything.

Your friend,

Dug
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

What to say Capt. What to say... I'm at a loss for words, all I can say is that I love ya buddy and thanks for everything... Your legacy will live on, and I for one will never forget you...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

capt pat
may peace be with you, god bless you
it was a honor knowing and meeting you
and yes say have a few clears with the guys.
thanks for all you have done, fair winds my friend
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Capt Pat,
Words alone seem useless as I try and say goodbye. I want to say THANK YOU..for inspiring me and guiding me along Resolutes journey from the guy who went to the rendezvous without a Bertram to the day I rolled her into Greenport with a nod from you on a job well done.Every time I cast off those lines you will be with me...every time I get lost I will ask for your help...
Thank you for the gift of friendship...both yours and the countless TRUE friends I have here..each and everyone would drop everything If I asked...Just as you did on countless occasions.
May you find calm seas and fair winds...not goodbye, our paths will cross again my friend.
UV and Walter will guide you to your new berth.
Hoist a clear with them for us to True Friendship....BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Capt Pat you are a true friend indeed! ! !

I happen to be one of the lucky ones to have met you in person. The first time we met I happened to be on a trip to Texas and you so graciously took your time to visit with me. From there a true friendship was born.

After that we met several times at Rendezvous and I enjoyed and cherished each visit.

You were an inspiration to my Bertram journey and will forever be in my memory! !

Rest peacefully my friend and I feel sure we will meet again someday on the other side.

Harry Babb
hb
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

This is truly sad news Capt! Let me say thanks for creating this spot for some of the best people I never met and some, because of you I have had the luxury to meet. Definitely smooth seas and fair winds and like said above, regards to those faithful who left us earlier. If it's not to much to ask give my baby a hug too. You will be greatly missed for your knowledge and friendship on the board and on the phone. I only wish much like the others I could have shaken your hand.
BR,
Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Just spoke with John Cranston and he wanted me to pass along that he and Pam love you and will see you in heaven. He wants to send his gratitude for all the help you've given him through the years.

John Cranston
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

A very sad day my friend.
I thank you for welcoming me to a place that feels like home and introducing
me and treating me like family.
I raise a clear in your honor.
All the best.
-Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Ric

Post by Ric »

Patrick I am very sorry to hear of your post
And your illness , your experience and knowledge
Has helped many including me , I am greatful for the help
and hospitality
You have shown me through the years
Good bye my friend
Say hello to UV and any of the other brothers
You might run into
randall

Post by randall »

patrick.....only a few people really effect or change your life. you certainly changed mine. thank you for that! been awhile but the affection never leaves just because the boat did. your girlfriend Caren sends you her love and prayers. me too! (well, the love anyway) randall
neil

Post by neil »

I just spoke with capt and he knows how much we all love him,the impact and the friendships that he has created are priceless lets hope we can continue to grow as freinds
captbone

Post by captbone »

God bless you and your family.

Thank you for countless hours of knowledge and joy.

You will not be forgotten and with live on in every Bertram that is owned by an enthusiast.

God bless.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Captain Patrick,

It has been an honor sir. I only met you a couple of times at Rendezvous but enjoyed every minute. While I seldom posted, I was on the site almost daily just to read and learn. I first came upon this site thinking that I could learn more about a great boat. I did, but along the way I found out that the Bertrams were just an analogy. The FAITHFUL become so much more important.

Jack
unabashed hyena lover
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

God speed sir
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat

A sad day indeed.

We never met, but I was always hoping that someday we would. But alas, it will have to wait until a another time comes.

I want to thank you for every thing you have done for all of us. I know you took my calls a few times and probably even one or two from the folks doing my re-power.

You gave us all a great place to hang our hats and to exchange ideas and most of all to a place were one could go for help. Not only about boats but about life.

If there is anything I can do please let me know. You will be missed.

As already said, please send the boards regards to those who have gone too soon before us.

You are a one of a kind. God speed, my prayers are with you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Thank you Captain. Your aura will hover over this board forever. You will be missed.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Capt
It was good talking with you this evening. Please hold our seats at the bar, as inevetably we will all join you.
Thank you for the education and the acceptance of my boating addiction. Your vision has helped shaped allot of beautiful boats.
I wish you nothing but following seas and fair winds for the rest of your journey.
GOD Bless you Sir.

Your friend

J.P.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Capt. Patrick,

Sad to hear this. God bless you and your family in this part of your journey.

I'm glad we were able to meet in person at the rendezvous in Greenport a few years ago.

I'd like to echo the words of Thanks from the Bertram31 family.

Thanks for your help via the web site and on the phone, thank you for being a gracious host when Laurie and I stopped by to see you in Llano. Thanks for bringing together this community and allowing me to meet some friends I would have never ran across otherwise.

Little did I know when I stopped in here 15 years ago looking for info about my project Bertram 25 how much your site would enrich my life. Thank you for the effort. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as we have.

God Bless.

Danny
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

You done good Captain. You've made a huge impact on my life by sharing yourself so freely. You set the standard for good stewards to follow. I hope you find peace in knowing you made this world a better place for a bunch of us. I hope to pass that example on.

Ed
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

I have never had the privilege of meeting you but I have gotten so much information from this site and everyone on here. I just want to thank you for your time and energy in keeping this site running. Godspeed my friend
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Capt'n Pat... I am deeply saddened to hear the news.... I appreciate everything you've done , and all the help you've given me ... and I really appreciated your lowering your standards and allowing threads about tubb's to take place...... Please save a seat next to UV for me.. and have the chalk ready for use ...

Thuddddddd
Al

Post by Al »

Capt.,

Thank you for all you have done to help me and so many others. I can tell from your post that you have your next destination charted. God speed. I look forward to meeting you in person one day.

Al
Al
1970 31' FBC Hull No. 315-901
"Teppi"
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Thank you for being part of my life. You made it so much richer. Till we meet again sir.
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

In 8 short months since we met and I began my 31 FBC project, I developed a friendship with a very wise, patient human being who ALWAYS made himself available to me regardless of how obvious or stupid my question may have been. As we all get older, it always puts a smile on one's face as the caliber of their new friend/mentor has great human substance...You are that person my friend...May God bless you always...In my prayers, John
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

I am truly sadden to hear that news. I met you at several of the rendezvous and enjoyed talking with you about the boats we all love. Your legacy will continue, not only with this site, with the memories and the amazing work that you have done on these boats. Your tips and insight are helpful beyond words. I hope you are comfortable and surrounded by those that love you.
Scott Traenkle
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Captain Patrick,
Where to begin... I first came to your forum back in 90's when looking for a 31 and members of the sand box helped me with the decision eventually made to buy the 8.2 powered 1977 fbc now named Crows Nest, aka the low rider. While no longer her steward ( sold her to John F, whom I met through this forum and had many epic adventures with, when I moved inland years ago), those years and the incredible friendships fostered by this site have greatly enriched my life. My first long passage from Annapolis Md up to Montauk for the rendezvous there was chronicled here and the comaraderie felt was incredible. Now 800 nm round trips like that seem like child's play, because of my stewardship of that boat, and all the friendships forged through you.

One of my fondest memories is of the Lauderdale Boat show and all of us shacked up @ the flophouse. You, Bruce, Ric,UV, Andre,Thudd, Trey Dibrell, Mike,Dug, and many more, god what great times.

You have been a great friend, and incredible mentor.

Cheers and Godspeed my friend

Doug
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Captain Patrick,

I am so sorry to hear this news! As you know I was one of the early members to join this site. Little did I know then how that would change my life. I know we have never met and we have only communicated via this forum and emails, however, please know that you have enriched my life in a way that you cannot imagine. For that I am immensely greatful. It would have never been possible without this experience of Bertram31.com. This site, and all it has become to so many, is a great testament to great man!

God bless you and your family!

Vince
Bill Mckinnon

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Capt. Pat

Good luck on your next great adventure. Even in heavan they need a good Bertram 31 guy like you. Thank you for all you help over the years. Never had the opportunity to meet you in person but all you advice here has been priceless. God Bless you and your family
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Capt. Pat,
Is seems like only yesterday we were have some great discussions on THE ROAD.
You have been an inspiration to many of us. Providing the Sandbox and that has meant over the years. My wife thought I was crazy spending so much time online with folks I never met face to face. The Rendezuvous took care of that.
Thanks and smooth sailing to the enteral Rendezvous. See you there one day.
Charlie Haws
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

This is sad news. I meet you only once but I appreciate you putting this great forum together. God Bless You.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Capt. Pat-

I'm also at a loss for words. Thanks for everything. Thanks for your advice, your patience, your wisdom, and your friendship. There are a lot of people here who care about you--that speaks volumes as to the kind of man you are. You'll be missed. Again, I'm just at a loss for words.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Uncle Markie

Post by Uncle Markie »

Thank you Capt Pat for your friendship. I enjoyed your company at many of our rendezvous as well as Neil,Cathy,and Junior. I'm raising my glass to you, wishing you fair winds and calm seas. Have a peaceful voyage my friend.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Captain Patrick,

Thank you for starting this site and sharing your knowledge in Bertrams and boat building
I have learned so much from this site over the past years, which has been instrumental in building my Bertrams

I am frequently on the site every day reading posts, and to read this post from you today hit hard.
The site is always a place for me to unwind and enjoy and learn.

God speed captain, you will be missed

Craig Spencer
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

Capt Pat,

I have only met in person a very small bunch of the guys on this board, sadly you were not one, and yet i consider so many to be very close friends who have gone above the call of duty to help me over an over again, it is because of you that I have had the privilege to be among some of the most knowledgeable boaters there is and most decent men around, and you sir are the best of the best, you have guided me directly and indirectly in so many ways i cant begin to count, I thank you for everything over the years and wish you God Speed.

Chris
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Sad, sad news.
I've never met you in person, but Pat, I always enjoyed our correspondence on and off the forum here.
So free to share your experience and knowledge.
So fair and calming the odd time the dirt has been flung around in the sandbox.
You are a true gentleman.

A hugely positive influence on a lot of people around the world.
My only disappointment is that I didn't make the effort to attend any of the Bertram 31 events to meet with you in person.
You will be sorely missed, and I am extremely proud to have atleast been an acquaintance.

Only best wishes for you and your family through your convalescence.
John
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Harv

Post by Harv »

Capt. Patrick,

I am at a loss for words. We spoke just a few days ago, and while you had told me of your health, I guess you had not yet learned the severity. I will always treasure the times you stayed at my house before we would travel to the rendezvous. Denise said she will always remember your smile whenever you hugged her. You brought so many lives together with the Sandbox. I have so many friends that I would never had known, were it not for you. I definitely will miss you old fren!
Harv
neil

Post by neil »

Hi Captian Pat it's Junior. I just wanted to say thank you for all that u taught me, I always enjoyed talking about projects with you, whether it be my little whaler or the 31,I learned so much from you and your work showed me anything is possible. Fishing at the white Marlin open this week and I couldn't have gotten here without all your pointers in life,I'll be thinking of you. All the best and thank you, Junior
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat

I will say one more thing. You created a huge family. And as you can see, you have a bunch of children who are going to deeply miss you.

Maybe Roy Rogers said it best: " Happy Trails to you, until we meet again."

As long as the board exists, we will continue to kick each other for donations to keep this place going.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Wow i'm so sorry to hear I haven't been on this site in a while and had no idea, thank you for all the help over the years! Tight lines my friend